Windows 10: LAN issues after upgrade & Homegroup no longer exists

Discus and support LAN issues after upgrade & Homegroup no longer exists in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My office upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 about 3 months ago. Since then we've been having one heckuva time with our networking - we can no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 3point1, Sep 14, 2016.

1. 3point1 Win User

LAN issues after upgrade & Homegroup no longer exists

Hello,

My office upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 about 3 months ago. Since then we've been having one heckuva time with our networking - we can no longer print to each others' printers, most of us can no longer access shared files, and while we used to have a Homegroup that was created on my computer several years ago, when attempting to manage the Homegroup, it says one was created, but doesn't give me an option to view the password.

I've spent the past few months searching for and trying a myriad of fixes, but have made no progress in resolving these issues.

:)

3point1, Sep 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 Homegroup problem

I found Robert Aldwinckle's suggestion interesting so I checked the DNS on my desktop and found it only supported IPv4 whereas my wife's laptop supported both IPV4 & IPV6. I thought that was the reason the laptop recognised the existence of Homegroup whereas
    my desptop PC did not. So I upgraded the LAN driver in my desktop so that it was the same as that in the laptop but it made no difference and my desktop still does

not recognise the existence of Homegroup, even after using the troubleshooter several times.

So I contacted my ISP who confirmed that their modem/router only supports IPv4, not IPv6. I do not have a Dlink router and in any case cannot reconfigure my existing modem/router to turn off DCHP.

Checking in Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Change adapter settings>Ethernet Status shows Internet Connectivity as:

"IPv4 Connectivity: Internet

IPv6 Connectivity: No network access"

So I have the following questions for Microsoft:

1 Is it correct that IPv6 is required for Homegroup to work with an ethernet LAN?

2 If so why has no-one from Microsoft pointed this out?

3 Will Homegroup work with a wireless LAN?

4 Is there a work around for this problem?

5 Since the relevant seetings are the same, why does my wife's latop recongise the existence of Homegroup whereas my desktop PC does not?

MalcolmSwire, Sep 14, 2016
  3. HK_2015 Win User
    Homegroup not available on one PC after Windows 10 Upgrade

I have a homegroup with 2 PCs. The homegroup was originally created on a laptop that no longer exists.

One PC was on windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 first. The second PC was on windows 8.1.

As soon as the PC1 was upgraded to windows 10, PC2 no longer could access the homegroup and associated printer.

I upgraded PC2 to windows 10 thinking it would resolve the issue.

It did not.

I tried using the registry troubleshooter and it gave me issue 68309, unfortunately issue 68309 does not have a resolution.

I tried looking for the registry indicated but it was not there.

I am considering deleting the homegroup on all computers but am also worried that it may not solve the issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HK_2015, Sep 14, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Can you remove homegroup its not needed and was a mess from the start as long as your all in the same workgroup and subnet you can connect without it it uses ipv6 which adds network traffic

Samuria, Sep 14, 2016
  5. 3point1 Win User
    The homegroup is not there - that's part of the problem. Can't see a password because it isn't there. It just says there's a homegroup. Our network is on a switch vs a server.

3point1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. LAN issues after upgrade & Homegroup no longer exists - Similar Threads - LAN issues upgrade

2. Homegroup does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup does not exist: Homegroup does not exist in my laptop although I have win7 and there i can access but when i install win10 i can even find it i searched in Search box in Start I searched in control panal I searched in Setting but Nothing...
  3. choosing between Network and Homegroup in a home LAN

choosing between Network and Homegroup in a home LAN: Here's my situation. I have no enterprise that I am connected with. I am a widower who lives alone. In my home I have 7 computers on my LAN. One of them is an XP, one is a Vista 8, 2 are Win 7 and 3 are Win 10's . In the past all have had LAN access to at least one other...
  4. Networking and Homegroups no longer working

Networking and Homegroups no longer working: It seems that over time networking keeps changing and what used to work no longer works. (This is for a home network of two Win 10 and one Win 7). At one point I had a homegroup setup, but I hadn't messed with it for a while and now I don't know the password anymore. I have...
  5. Windows No Longer Detects a Homegroup

Windows No Longer Detects a Homegroup: my boys want to play minecraft on the lan. so i create a homegroup. with their machines switched off. then i switch on their machines and see the message that i've created a homegroup. so i click 'join' and input the password. and both machines give me an error...
  6. homegroup issue

homegroup issue: Hi. I set up a home group last night between my 2 PCs (desktop which i will call PC1 and laptop which I will call PC2) last night and a printer. Everything was working correctly after I shared everything on printers, C:..etc. This morning when I booted up all 3 devices I...
  7. Homegroup Lost in Upgrade

Homegroup Lost in Upgrade: Upgraded to Windows10. It tells me there IS homegroup and enter the password. When I try it tells me there is NO homegroup found. Ideally I'd like to just set up a new homegroup but I see no option to do that. In the alternative I'll take the old one but that isn't that...
  8. Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup

Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup: Hi there! I've just upgraded my husband PC from Windows 7 to 10. Everything went well except that I can no longer connect to the network. After some attempt, I chose to delete all homegroup to create a new one. All right on my husband's computer (leave the homegroup),...
  9. Homegroup: Password from account that no longer appears to exist

Homegroup: Password from account that no longer appears to exist: My windows 10 was set up locally only - I did not use a Microsoft account. Yesterday I set up Windows 2 step verification. I also logged in to some odds and ends as required during the day. When I turned my desktop on today I was unexpectedly prompted for my windows live...
  10. Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.: I have multiple PCs in my house, one that I use myself, and one that is used by the others. Now I need to transfer about 80GB from one PC to the other, and I decided to try the homegroup thingy. Now I never set it up, not on my PC, nor on theirs, but since my bro is still...