Windows 10: Laptop cannot see "My Documents" on PC drive E:

Discus and support Laptop cannot see "My Documents" on PC drive E: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; "My Documents" has been correctly relocated from C: to E:. The C: drive was getting full. Using the PC, all is well. The network is fine and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnD, Mar 1, 2016.

1. JohnD Win User

Laptop cannot see "My Documents" on PC drive E:

"My Documents" has been correctly relocated from C: to E:. The C: drive was getting full. Using the PC, all is well.

The network is fine and my laptop sees the PC, and PC sees the laptop.

However, when I click my [Username] folder on the PC from the laptop, the folders I see are on the C: drive, not the E: drive.

How do I make my [Username] folder on drive E: accessible over the netork?

Other family members/usernames whose files are on the PC's C: drive exclusively have no problem accessing them from their laptops or phones.

The laptop is Win7 and the PC Win10 Pro. The phones are both Android and iOS.

:)

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016

2. Adding 2nd Hard Drive to Windows 10 Homegroup

I have 2 hard drives on my Windows 10 PC - "C" Drive containing the operating system and "D" drive containing all my Documents and Data. Both drives are shared. I have set up a Homegroup but when I go to my Laptop and try to view the "D" drive on my
    desktop, I cannot see it. Can anyone explain how I can include my "D" drive in my Homegroup.

JDraper_787, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Minime7 Win User
    Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open .edb file

Right, thank you for that. It is helpful. I was only guessing that this file was a result of my backup in File History. The real problem is Backing up on Windows 10! I have tried it before, selected my external hard drive, selected the folders and
    files I want to back up but when I look on my hard drive to see the backed up documents, I cannot see the files and folders. I do have a folder called "File History" on the hard drive but when I go into it there is a long string for the destination - "E:\FileHistory\Jacqueline\JACQUELINE-PC\Configuration"
    then within that there is a file called "catalog2.edb" with the current date on it. I assumed that this was the backed up documents. This is the one I cannot open! What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be helpful but please bear in mind I am not very
    technical. Thanks

Minime7, Mar 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Have you checked that the Share tab for your new My Documents in its Properties is still showing that Sharing is enabled? It's possible that the parent E:\ drive is not set up for sharing and this has cascaded down to your new folder.

philc43, Mar 1, 2016
  5. JohnD Win User
    Thanks for your quick response - I'll try that.

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
  6. JohnD Win User
    Ha! I can't see the PC at all now from the laptop!

Laptop cannot see "My Documents" on PC drive E: [​IMG]

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    Have you updated your system yet? There was a cumulative update yesterday (KB3140743) that fixes a number of network connectivity issues.

philc43, Mar 1, 2016
  8. prem1103 Win User

Access pc via ip or system name

prem1103, Mar 1, 2016
  9. JohnD Win User
    I'll check that when the Mrs gets off Facebook…

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
  10. JohnD Win User
    Draws a blank I'm afraid.

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
  11. prem1103 Win User
    Check by opening pc shares on windows 10 itself. If it showing shared content

prem1103, Mar 1, 2016
  12. Clintlgm Win User
    one other thing, with windows 8 and 10 besides setting up Shares on driver and or Folders you also have to set up security on the security tab something you can try

Clintlgm, Mar 1, 2016
  13. JohnD Win User

I've installed the update KB3140743 and run the trouble shooter which installed a missing protocol. Fingers crossed!

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
  14. JohnD Win User
    Still no joy.

Need to get the Mrs off Facebook and the Daily Fail so I can re-boot and re-check.

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
  15. JohnD Win User
    Sorted. Although it seemed the missing protocol was installed, the troubleshooter kept saying it was missing. "netsh int ipv4 install" from the command prompt has fixed it. Not quite what I expected to see - probably over did the sharing.

JohnD, Mar 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Laptop cannot see "My Documents" on PC drive E: - Similar Threads - Laptop cannot Documents

2. My documents folder became my E:/ drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My documents folder became my E:/ drive: English is not my first languageI do not know how this issue even started, but My Documents folder now has now turned into my E:/ driveMy E:/ drive still exists, in fact, everything I do inside of each folder Whether it's "My Documents" or the actual drive affects both. I am...
  3. My documents folder became my E:/ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My documents folder became my E:/ drive: English is not my first languageI do not know how this issue even started, but My Documents folder now has now turned into my E:/ driveMy E:/ drive still exists, in fact, everything I do inside of each folder Whether it's "My Documents" or the actual drive affects both. I am...
  4. My documents folder became my E:/ drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.

One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows Home 10 operating system. I have set up one drive. I have copied the files to the one drive folder on my computer. I now have two My Document folders on my computer with the same files. c:\my documents and C:\one drive\My documents....
  6. One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows Home 10 operating system. I have set up one drive. I have copied the files to the one drive folder on my computer. I now have two My Document folders on my computer with the same files. c:\my documents and C:\one drive\My documents....
  7. One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. i cannot find my D: drive and E: drive in my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i cannot find my D: drive and E: drive in my laptop: hello, I cannot locate my D:drive and E:drive in my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-find-my-d-drive-and-e-drive-in-my-laptop/ddb6f397-8e9d-4b9a-b874-670224ea836b
  9. cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive

cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive: My previous laptop stopped working, so I decided to get a new one and transfer data from old hard drive. I bought a compatible kepler usb lead for my WD hard drive. However, when opening file explorer, I cannot see any of my personal documents listed (documents & settings /...
  10. My PC cannot see C: drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC cannot see C: drive: Yesterday my PC screen started flickering and then the computer froze. I saw a black boot screen with a message that there is a disk error and I need to install OS. OK, I installed OS but drive C still shows an error and I can’t sign in my Windows account. I did all the...