Windows 10: Laptop can't see others on network

Discus and support Laptop can't see others on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have 2 laptops (Windows 10 Home) and a desktop (Windows 10 Pro), all on same network, same workgroup and all are joined to the same homegroup. All have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by imaddicted2u, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Laptop can't see others on network

Have 2 laptops (Windows 10 Home) and a desktop (Windows 10 Pro), all on same network, same workgroup and all are joined to the same homegroup. All have up to date Windows 10 creators update.
    The problem is, Under network in file explorer, One laptop and the desktop can see the other two but the other laptop can only see itself.
    I ran the network troubleshooter, it didn't find any problems. Reset the network and reinstalled the WiFi drivers on the offending laptop but nothing fixed it. Tried to connect via Ethernet but same problem. Also, The offending laptop is able to ping the other two.
    This shouldn't be so hard.
    Anybody have any other ideas?

:)

imaddicted2u, Jun 13, 2017

2. laptop will not see the other computer on the network

The same situation with different HW (laptop Sony VAIO)

The other computers see the laptop, I can work on it.

I can ping from laptop to the other computers using the computer name,

with response time 2 -5 ms. So communication from laptop to the router is OK.

Jiri a Marie Vlckovi, Jun 13, 2017
  3. laptop will not see the other computer on the network

Hp desktop and hp laptop. Both connected through the same router, the desktop via CAT 6 and the laptop via WIFI.. My desktop sees the laptop and I can log into it and use whatever files I need, however the laptop cannot recognize the desktop. It sees all
    network media devices, several of which are on the desktop, so I know that it is connected to the correct network. It even sees the ROKU that is connected to the same router. The only thing that it will not see is the desktop. I have several computers on the
    network, and they all communicate through the network just fine with this one exception. File and printer sharing is on for both computers and I have tried several other "fixes" to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have uninstalled the virus protection
    software, turned off windows defender and the firewall. I am lost as to what else could be the problem. I set up a home group, and the laptop joined it no problem, but it still couldn't see the desktop.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

joeflynn71, Jun 13, 2017
  4. Laptop can't see others on network

I tried changing the workgroup to WORKGROUP1, restarting and then back to WORKGROUP and restarting again in hopes it would reset something...it didn't.

imaddicted2u, Jun 14, 2017
  5. Eagle51 Win User
  6. imaddicted2u, Jun 14, 2017
  7. Woops, spoke too soon. All of a sudden the problem returned....Going to go through those steps again tomorrow to see if I can see anything that changed.

imaddicted2u, Jun 15, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Laptop can't see others on network

There is an issue with 1703 and it's smb/master browser, so the fixes/workarounds work for some and not others. Going to have to wait for MS to fix *Sad

I was able to workaround the issue, by using USB Stick connected to my routers USB port, which effectively makes the router the Master Browser. The restart order is specific ... power down all pc's / reboot router with USB Stick / then start each pc

Note: I have a netgear router with readyshare, so the USB Stick is basically a network share that I setup.

Eagle51, Jun 15, 2017
  9. More weirdness, Tried following the steps to restart services, didn't work this time. Shut them down and restarted the other laptop first to ensure it was the Master Browser. NetBScanner confirms it is but the offending laptop still can't see it.
    Network troubleshooter, Home group troubleshooter didn't find anything. Network reset didn't help.
    Had all PCs leave the home group. Created the homegroup on the other laptop. The offending laptop couldn't see it.
    Left the homegroup, created homegroup on offending laptop. The other laptop could see and join.
    I hope Microsoft is working on and fixes this issue as I'm out of ideas.

imaddicted2u, Jun 16, 2017
  10. Just thought I'd try restarting in reverse order, with the offending laptop started first to be the Master Browser. Then the other PCs on the network can be seen on it. Still can't join a homegroup created on the other laptop but can be the creator of the homegroup.
    Edit: Master Browser status is lost when laptop sleeps. Even if IsDomainMaster is created in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Browser/Parameters/ and set to Yes.

imaddicted2u, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop can't see others on network

1. Laptop can't see others on network - Similar Threads - Laptop can't others

2. can't see other computer on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't see other computer on network: can't see other computer on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-other-computer-on-network/fc92edc5-902e-4798-a93f-91bcb538d14f
  3. Networking problems- can't see other PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking problems- can't see other PCs: We have a home networking router Nighthawk 7000 setup with 3 PCs 2 are Win 10 Home, 1 is Win 7 Home connected with ethernet, two Win 10 Home laptops connected via wifi. Here is the current state of affairs, under Explorer>Network: The Dell Win 7 PC can see all shared...
  4. Can't See Other PC's On Home Network

Can't See Other PC's On Home Network: I need to connect two laptops on my home network via WiFi, one of which has a printer attached via USB that I need to share. I read this recent post from Yertiz on the same issue. I followed the tutorial here on this forum, and then the suggestions in Yertiz's post. I still...
  5. Can't see other computer on a 2 laptop home network.

Can't see other computer on a 2 laptop home network.: Hello everyone. I have two laptops in the same Workgroup here in my home. Both laptops have their networks set to private. Both are Windows 10 home premium. Both are running Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) The goal is for each of these two laptops to see each other...
  6. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...
  7. W10 1809 laptops on network can't see others

W10 1809 laptops on network can't see others: This is MS's worst cluster in my experience. much worse than screwing with networking in XP or Win95. Unbelieveable that in 2019, there is no easy way to network several laptops with a plain vanilla desktop. Infuriating. Why should I have to dick around with SMB's and other...
  8. Can't see inside other PCs on network

Can't see inside other PCs on network: I posted this originally in the Insiders section --but got no response -- so I'm reposting it here. I have a Win8.1 PC that I use as a file server, so I regularly connect to it, using "tried and true" accessing techniques that have worked fine for years. I set up the...
  9. Can't see other computers on my network

Can't see other computers on my network: I have two Win 7 computers on my wired network and 6 Win XP computers on this same network. This main computer was Win 7 and just upgraded to Win 10 in November. For a year this network has worked just fine, plug and play basically when I set it up, now after Christmas...
  10. Suddenly can't see other computers on network

Suddenly can't see other computers on network: We have three Windows 10 computers (2 desktop, 1 laptop) on a local network. All are in the same workgroup, all have discovery and sharing turned on on private/guest/all networks, password protection off, etc. Everything was working great until about a week ago. We don't know...