Windows 10: Laptop: "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard.

Discus and support Laptop: "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As it sits, laptop will only wake from sleep by moving mouse around for about 2 seconds (and of course power button). Person to use the laptop will use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sakarphone, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Laptop: "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard.

As it sits, laptop will only wake from sleep by moving mouse around for about 2 seconds (and of course power button). Person to use the laptop will use it on battery all day, and be constantly waking it up.

I tried usual approach: I right click on device manager and click run as admin, but in the keyboard properties, the "Change Settings" is greyed out and there is no power management tab.

If keyboard is not an option, can I shorten the amount of work done on mouse to wake up?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I tried setting the User Account Control (UAC) settings to the lowest security level, but it's still greyed out.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Sakarphone, Sep 22, 2017
  2. GuySakar Win User

"Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard. Goal = trying to wake laptop up with the keyboard.

Laptop: Dell 13 (5000)

Condition: Stock.

As it sits, laptop will only wake from sleep by moving mouse around for about 2 seconds (and of course power button). Person to use the laptop will use it on battery all day, and be constantly waking
    it up.

I tried usual approach: I right click on device manager and click run as admin, but in the keyboard properties, the "Change Settings" is greyed out and there is no power management tab.

If keyboard is not an option, can I shorten the amount of work done on mouse to wake up laptop?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I tried setting the User Account Control (UAC) settings to the lowest security level, but it's still greyed out.

Thank you in advance for any help.

GuySakar, Sep 22, 2017
  3. GuySakar Win User
    "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard. Goal = trying to wake laptop up with the keyboard.

Hi and thanks Greg. That's really good stuff. I am going to go through the checklist later, and maybe do a fresh install, if nothing, to speed the machine up.

However, since posting this, I have run into the exact same issue on a different laptop. Getting ready to try it on a third, and what do you want to bet that the "change setting" will be greyed out.

This leads me to believe that this is not an install problem, but a problem native in Windows.

If you are on a laptop, just click device manager, select your keyboard, and see if the "change settings" tab is greyed out, or see if you have a power management tab.

I have yet to find a laptop in which this is not the case.

Also, can you elaborate a bit on the bloatware. I look in "add remove programs" and down by the clock (notification area) and I don't see any bloatware. Is it hiding somewhere? I don't see any on either of my two new Dell machines. Maybe Dell doesn't do
    bloatware anymore?

Anyway, thank you for your help.

GuySakar, Sep 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Laptop: "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard.

Considering only this part of your question:

Which device can wake your laptop depends on the hardware configuration.

You can check that from an admin command prompt with
    powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
    and
    powercfg /devicequery wake_programmable

I had the same query about the keyboard on this laptop. The supplier came back after checking saying previous models had supported the keyboard waking from sleep, but not now. Hmm.

Have you tried clicking a mouse button?

dalchina, Sep 22, 2017
Thema:

Laptop: "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard.

1. Laptop: "Change Settings" greyed in device manager / keyboard. - Similar Threads - Laptop Change Settings

2. Can't change Power Management setting in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change Power Management setting in Device Manager: So I was trying to use Wake-On-LAN and I didn't work so I checked Device Manager and Power Management and noticed I couldn't change this setting:https://gyazo.com/50d7b7a1e91a3e7771fda357999f859fNow if I could change this setting I think Wake-On-Lan will work and I hope...
  3. Can't change Power Management setting in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change Power Management setting in Device Manager: So I was trying to use Wake-On-LAN and I didn't work so I checked Device Manager and Power Management and noticed I couldn't change this setting:https://gyazo.com/50d7b7a1e91a3e7771fda357999f859fNow if I could change this setting I think Wake-On-Lan will work and I hope...
  4. Can't change Power Management setting in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. changing devices in device manager...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    changing devices in device manager...: Hello, I have a working Logitech PTZ Pro 2 camera and a Magewell HDMI capture device. Both are installed and drivers are up to date. What I want to do is switch the Logitech camera that is currently being detected as an "imaging device" in device manger and swap it with the...
  6. Laptop's keyboard lacks "Power Management" tab in device manager

Laptop's keyboard lacks "Power Management" tab in device manager: My laptop's keyboard isn't waking up the laptop from sleep. I went to device manager and right-clicked the laptop's keyboard which is marked as "Standard PS/2 Keyboard" (And not HID Keyboard Device - like my wireless USB keyboard), then Properties, but it doesn't have the...
  7. Laptop's keyboard lacks "Power Management" tab in device manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop's keyboard lacks "Power Management" tab in device manager: My laptop's keyboard isn't waking up the laptop from sleep. I went to device manager and right-clicked the laptop's keyboard which is marked as "Standard PS/2 Keyboard" (And not HID Keyboard Device - like my wireless USB keyboard), then Properties, but it doesn't have the...
  8. Keyboard Setting - Pressing the '=' on the keyboard causes font change on laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Setting - Pressing the '=' on the keyboard causes font change on laptop: Hi all, I've just run into this issue where if I press the '=' switch on my keyboard - it toggles the font and makes it look more spaced out. I'm not sure if it'll show up on this post for you guys but this is what it looks like >> The letter spacing looks to be much...
  9. Settings tab in sources of a device in device manager greyed out!

Settings tab in sources of a device in device manager greyed out!: Hi people It would seem that my device manager is not functioning as it should. When i want to adjust settings in the "sources" tab of any device in the device manager, it is grey, and I cannot use it. Do I need some kind of authorization? Please help...
  10. Keyboard and multiple devices in device manager

Keyboard and multiple devices in device manager: Hello, everyone. I noticed a problem in my keyboard recently, but i'm not sure if it's really on the keyboard, and might be in the windows or software related. The problem is that the keyboard randomly starts freezing, it's hard to explain with words, basically the keys do...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keyboard properties windows 10 is greyed out