Windows 10: Laptop CPU upgrade

Discus and support Laptop CPU upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have a HP Pavilion dv2700, Wistron 30cd motherboard, and I am having an intention to upgrade my CPU. But there's a problem. Since I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xtremeraces, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Laptop CPU upgrade

Hi guys,

I have a HP Pavilion dv2700, Wistron 30cd motherboard, and I am having an intention to upgrade my CPU. But there's a problem. Since I am just a PC noob, I don't know the maximum CPU which can be supported by the motherboard. Any ideas? I would appreciate very much *Smile
    BTW - Can anyone tell me differences between PPGA and PGA sockets? I did some references on some websites, they said that both of them were the same. But I don't think so...
    My chipset series is intel 965 express chipset.

:)

xtremeraces, Jul 29, 2017

2. CPU for HP Laptop

Not all laptops support upgrading major components such as the CPU since they tend to be proprietary in design and the components such as CPU, Graphics and RAM are sometimes soldered to the motherboard.

You might have to consider purchasing a brand new laptop with the features you want.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 29, 2017
  3. Upgrading Windows 10 from 32 bit to 64 bit activation.

I installed Windows 10 on a laptop that had a 32 bit processor (Intel T2250) during the insider preview program and subsequently upgraded to build 10240 32 bit and have permanent activation. I just upgraded the CPU in the laptop to a 64 bit (Intel T7200)
    CPU and was wondering if I do a clean install with the 64 bit version of Windows 10 if I still will have the same activation. The motherboard is the same. Only the CPU was changed.

MichaelForelle, Jul 29, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

Laptop CPU upgrade

Being honest, I would just stop thinking about this. Upgrading a laptop CPU is never easy, CPU's that are old and out of supply are expensive and your performance increase would be next to nothing.

If you really want to upgrade, change out the hard drive for an SSD. Otherwise, save up for a new computer.

pparks1, Jul 29, 2017
  5. I absolutely agree with the above comments. I have 2 laptops with similar specs and only reasonable upgrade to do was to add a bit more RAM and replace the spinning HDD with an SSD.

Swapping the CPU is out of the question. Not worth it unless you get the CPU for free and know what you are doing.

slicendice, Jul 29, 2017
  6. Oh, I thought that upgrading Laptop CPU is that easy...
    Anyways, can you explain to me the differences between PPGA and PGA sockets? I did some search and it said that they are both the same. I did think so, but doubts are still in my mind. Pls help me *Smile

xtremeraces, Jul 30, 2017
  7. PGA = Pin Grid Array
    PPGA = Plastic Pin Grid Array

Only difference is the materials used in packaging the CPU.

slicendice, Jul 30, 2017
  8. Laptop CPU upgrade

So can I mount a PGA478 CPU with a PPGA478 socket?

xtremeraces, Jul 30, 2017
  9. Yes you can, but you must be certain that the motherboard including BIOS has support for the CPU in question. The PGA478 CPU fits a PPGA478 socket, but there is no guarantee that the CPU will work anyway.

Also make sure the MB is NOT using a micro FCPGA478 socket, then you can only use that kind of packaged CPUs in the laptop.

Either way...I would NOT go with the CPU upgrade, unless you know what you are doing. You will have to take the whole laptop apart, and that is NOT an easy task to do. (...well easy to take apart, but getting it back together can be a pain)

UPDATE: PPGA478 can also mean Socket P in some cases, then you can not fit a PGA478 CPU in it. Socket P = micro FCPGA478 (smaller in size)

slicendice, Jul 30, 2017
  10. I suspect your MB uses Socket P which is the same as µFCPGA478MN marking on the socket on the motherboard. Only way to know for sure is to take the whole computer apart.

slicendice, Jul 30, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jul 30, 2017
  12. Well, I took the whole laptop apart, reassembled it, and I have to say, it's pretty easy (except the touch panel as well as the touch pad, I mistakenly broke it down ...Laptop CPU upgrade :p)
    By the way, thank you very much for helping me *Smile

xtremeraces, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop CPU upgrade

1. Laptop CPU upgrade - Similar Threads - Laptop CPU upgrade

2. CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU upgrade: Good afternoon,Once again I find myself incompatible with Windows, this time 11.Unfortunately I’m not that computer literate.It seems my CPU needs to be upgraded.I currently have Intel core i5-7500 CPU 3.40GHz.What are my options for CPU and/or what would you recommend? Here...
  3. upgrading cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading cpu: I recently tried to upgrade from a Ryzen 3 3200g to Ryzen 5 5600 when I got this message about ftpm I made sure R5 5600 would work on my Asus prime b450m-a board with bios version 3802. everything went fine changed setting in bios turned on docp & precision boost overdrive...
  4. upgrading cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrading cpu: I recently tried to upgrade from a Ryzen 3 3200g to Ryzen 5 5600 when I got this message about ftpm I made sure R5 5600 would work on my Asus prime b450m-a board with bios version 3802. everything went fine changed setting in bios turned on docp & precision boost overdrive...
  5. Upgrade CPU or Not....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade CPU or Not....: My laptop has an Intel i3-7100U @2.4 and was wondering if it is cheaper to simply get a new laptop or upgrade to a CPU that is supported by Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-cpu-or-not/af19a7be-e363-4618-ba32-40fc2c65c792
  6. CPU upgrade for my laptop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU upgrade for my laptop.: "CPU Upgrade"Hi, I am having compaq presario cq 40 601 tu laptop with intel pentium dual core T4400 2.2 ghz basically I just want to upgrade it cpu which suits the most with this laptop so please help me find it out. And make sure that the cpu you are telling will support...
  7. Upgrading CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading CPU: Does doing this require anything other procedure after installation of a new CPU? I heard you gotta enter BIOS, but is that mandatory? Or can I just swap out the old and it will just work? submitted by /u/NXGZ [link] [comments]...
  8. laptop cpu upgrade help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop cpu upgrade help: i have a laptop with intel r celoron 1005M processor, and i have a 2nd gen core i3 can i replace intel r celoron 1005M with 2nd gen core i3 ? 141903
  9. Upgrading CPU

Upgrading CPU: I am close to upgrading my CPU from an i5 to an i7 processor. I called a computer store to seek advice on doing it myself for the first time, however they told me that if I was to install a new CPU on my motherboard that it would deactivate my windows and wanted to charge me...
  10. Upgrading a old beater laptop cpu

Upgrading a old beater laptop cpu: I currently am using a Toshiba Satellite L675-S7015 laptop, Im going to have to do some maintenance soon which requires me tearing it apart to the motherboard so i thought it wouldn't hurt to see if there's a better cpu that this can be replaced with, It currently has a AMD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp pavilion dv2700 processor intel series upgrade

2. ppga478 cpu upgrade