Windows 10: Laptop Died After Win 10 Update

Discus and support Laptop Died After Win 10 Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Need some expert help here folks. Sister's laptop was restored to factory settings which included installation of Win 10 and updates. After restarting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. aussiewoo Win User

Laptop Died After Win 10 Update

Need some expert help here folks. Sister's laptop was restored to factory settings which included installation of Win 10 and updates. After restarting this morning I am just getting these two messages in rotation and no boot up: "Please wait while we install system update" and "Preparing automatic repair". I can get into the BIOS but cannot change any settings. I can also get into the Boot Manager but will not let me change boot to USB as I was going to redo the restoration and forget the updates.
    At my wits end now *Mad. Any suggestions please?

:)

aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018

2. WIN 10 RELATED

WHEN I LOG ON THE LAPTOP I ALWAYS GET THE CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and then it automatic restart and work well.i got this problem after theupgrade of win 8.1 to win 10.

ATULSHRIVASTAVA, Jan 10, 2018
  3. Critical_Process_Died for window 10

My computer died but gave me the following message on the screen: Critical_Process_Died. What does that mean? I am running Windows 10 pro on an Dell Studio Laptop. Laptop restart several times.

i am not create restore point or backup win 10. if we install fresh win 10 and use win 7 (upgraded free win 10) key is working or not. otherwise can we upgrade again win 10 after installed
    win 7 ?

thank you.

Sandeep Kumar Sain, Jan 10, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

1) Find a flash drive that you can format (> or = 8 GB)
    2) Create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    3) Insert the flash drive into any USB port
    4) Power on the notebook and repetitively click the F12 key
    5) On the BIOS boot menu select the external USB hard drive
    6) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Microsoft Windows icon
    7) Select language, time, currency, keyboard or click next
    8) Do not click install as that is the method to perform a clean install. Instead look in the left lower corner for repair your computer.
    9) Click on repair your computer > troubleshoot > view the windows advanced troubleshooting menu on the iso.
    10) Start with system restore > use the oldest date first and keep tying system restore until there are no more options.
    11) If system restore fails or if there were no system restore points > attempt startup repair
    12) If startup repair fails > open command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    13) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    14) report into the the thread the partition letter
    15) type: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=G:\ /offwindir=G:\windows (change the letter G to the drive letter from above)
    16) type: chkdsk /r C:
    17) reboot
    Use pictures at any time to display your progress and post images into the thread.

18) If you are unable to open the BIOS boot menu with F12 then:
    Open the BIOS with repetitively clicking F2 during the boot.
    19) Use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures of the BIOS menus.
    20) Post images the steps that you have tried that failed.
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    Or use one drive or drop box share links

21) Open the website for the computer manufacturer > enter the product or serial number or the model number > select the operating sytem > view all of the drivers and bios downloads > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  5. aussiewoo Win User
    I have tried F2. I get into the bios but I cannot do anything while I'm in there. Cannot select anything.
    I have tried F8 . Does not work. Just get the two recurring messages.
    I have tried F10. Get into boot manager but I cannot do anything while I'm in there. Cannot select USB hard drive.
    I have tried Alt/F10. I get a blue screen that tells my computer needs to be repaired with 3 options, none of which work.
    Sorry, I have tried to insert photos here but been on this all day and it's done my head in tonight.
    This is the model: Aspire 3 A315-31 | Laptops - Tech Specs & Reviews - Acer
    Drivers and manuals: Product support

aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    There is a hardware method to boot to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu on the computer.
    See if it works:
    1) power on the computer and as soon as you see the windows icon power off
    2) power on the computer again and as soon as your see the windows icon power off.
    3) power on the computer and see if it will advanced to diagnosing your PC and opening the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.

When available please post images into the thread from the BIOS menu using one drive or drop box share links.

These are some additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Try another USB stick
    2. Try all USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)
    3. Maybe when using UEFI Bios you have to temporarily switch to Legacy in BIOS settings
    4. Disable fast boot
    5. Disable secure boot
    6. Enable CSM

Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows Performance Maintenance Tutorials

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  7. aussiewoo Win User
    The Windows icon does not come up. Only get Acer then the two messages in rotation. *cry

aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

What was the error message?
    What was the error code?
    What were the 3 options?

There was another recent thread where all steps to boot with USB on a desktop failed. They were able to view the motherboard and it was determined that there was a problem with capacitors. It's substantially harder to get access to a laptop. The link for the Acer did not display an optical drive so that is not an option either.
    You can try a boot rescue USB drive and see if it will boot. But if you can't get to a boot menu that is likely to fail too.
    This is the link for information on the boot rescue USB drive:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  9. aussiewoo Win User
    Press "Enter" to try again
    Press F8 for startup settings
    Pres Esc for UEFI firmware settings

Can u please assist me in trying the options in your reply 3-6 please. Options 1 and 2 are not available to try. See previous reply.

aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    The link indicates that there are 3 USB ports with 1 USB3 and 2 USB2.

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  11. aussiewoo Win User
    That is correct, however I cannot select to boot from them.

aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018
  12. aussiewoo Win User
  13. zbook New Member

Please post images of advanced and boot menus.

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  14. aussiewoo Win User
    I can't do that. I cannot move anywhere in the BIOS

aussiewoo, Jan 10, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    Are you able to slide off the back panel of the notebook and view the RAM modules?
    How many RAM modules are there?
    Can you re-seat them?

The link displayed:
    DDR3L
    4 GB (standard)

The number of RAM modules was not displayed.

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop Died After Win 10 Update - Similar Threads - Laptop Died Update

2. Laptop died no power after latest Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop died no power after latest Windows update: Hi all,I have been using a Lenovo v130-15iKB laptop for the last few years and it has always worked perfectly. After noticing that a new update was available I installed the latest Windows 10 update this morning 18th June 2022 and my laptop then died completely. There’s no...
  3. Laptop died no power after latest Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop died no power after latest Windows update: Hi all,I have been using a Lenovo v130-15iKB laptop for the last few years and it has always worked perfectly. After noticing that a new update was available I installed the latest Windows 10 update this morning 18th June 2022 and my laptop then died completely. There’s no...
  4. Laptop died no power after latest Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Laptop dies after update

Laptop dies after update: My laptop had been updated as of april and it died during update and now the display won't turn on as well as the keyboard touchpad and ports. It is charging and now showing any sign of booting into windows but it does turn on Pls help me!...
  6. Laptop died during an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop died during an update: Today, a really bad storm hit my house, and knocked out the power. Anyway, my laptop was updating when this happened, and it died while we were without power. I turned my computer on once we had power back, and it says "undoing changes made to your computer". I just want to...
  7. Laptop Black Screen after Win 10 update

Laptop Black Screen after Win 10 update: I updated from win 7 to win 10 three years ago. All was well until March of this year, when the laptop sometimes failed to complete boot cycle and gave a black screen. The problem got worse and worse and I resorted to resetting the laptop and reinstalling Win 10,but now the...
  8. Win 10 Critical process died

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Critical process died: Hi, Windows 10 won't boot showing critical process died. Auto repair doesn't work, sfc scannow and Chkdsk find no errors. Dism image cleanup won't run, and system restore also fails. Any ideas, I'm at the end of my tether?...
  9. Laptop touchpad not working after win 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop touchpad not working after win 10 update: Sony Vaio model SVP13218PGS After a recent (1 -2 weeks ago) win 10 update the touchpad on my Sony laptop no longer functions. I have been through all the usual checks and had a long conversation with a Sony technician but we could not resolve the issue. In device...
  10. Dying laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dying laptop: Good evening to all,Hope someone can give me some advice. I have a dying hp laptop been having small problems very often. Have done a complete windows reset for the third time beginning of the week so decided to go and get another newer model. don't use it for any hard work...