Windows 10: Laptop died during "remove everything" reset - black screens and no bootable device.

Discus and support Laptop died during "remove everything" reset - black screens and no bootable device. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Okay, so I'm stuck. I have a Toshiba laptop I hadn't used in several years, replacing it with my work Dell instead. When the Dell crapped out, I went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by K&R.W., Sep 4, 2018.

1. K&R.W. Win User

Laptop died during "remove everything" reset - black screens and no bootable device.

Okay, so I'm stuck. I have a Toshiba laptop I hadn't used in several years, replacing it with my work Dell instead. When the Dell crapped out, I went back to the Toshiba, and decided to just start fresh with it. The battery only works when plugged in (separate issue I hadn't gotten around to fixing, unfortunately), but I had it plugged in, and everything seemed fine. I navigated through the menus and had selected "remove everything" for the reset, and it got to work. About half way through, my cat came tearing through the room chasing who knows what, and somehow pulled the cord from the laptop, effectively killing it mid-way through.

Now, when I go to turn the laptop on, it has the Toshiba logo screen pop up as if it's booting up, then goes to a black screen with an error reading "No Bootable Device -- Please Restart System" or something like that. The nearest computer techs are over 2 hours away (rural living, yay), and I'd really love to get at least one of my laptops working again.

It came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1, and I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first rolled out.

Basically, what now? Do I need to purchase Windows 10? A reinstall disc or USB? Is there a way through this I don't know about (novice when it comes to this sort of thing, but doing my best)?

Any help is appreciated.

:)

K&R.W., Sep 4, 2018
  2. K&R.W. Win User

Laptop died during "remove everything" reset - black screens and no bootable device.

Okay, so I'm stuck. I have a Toshiba laptop I hadn't used in several years, replacing it with my work Dell instead. When the Dell crapped out, I went back to the Toshiba, and decided to just start fresh with it. The battery only works when plugged in (separate
    issue I hadn't gotten around to fixing, unfortunately), but I had it plugged in, and everything seemed fine. I navigated through the menus and had selected "remove everything" for the reset, and it got to work. About half way through, my cat came tearing through
    the room chasing who knows what, and somehow pulled the cord from the laptop, effectively killing it mid-way through.

Now, when I go to turn the laptop on, it has the Toshiba logo screen pop up as if it's booting up, then goes to a black screen with an error reading "No Bootable Device -- Please Restart System" or something like that. The nearest computer techs are over
    2 hours away (rural living, yay), and I'd really love to get at least one of my laptops working again.

It came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1, and I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first rolled out.

Basically, what now? Do I need to purchase Windows 10? A reinstall disc or USB? Is there a way through this I don't know about (novice when it comes to this sort of thing, but doing my best)?

Any help is appreciated.

K&R.W., Sep 7, 2018
  3. Laptop with broken screen How much?

I would like suggestions and look in local stores. I dont wanna buy a laptop from someone online. Sorry. But could be a good idea if you asked him about the performance on older games. Gonna make a list ofall laptops people suggest me.

Remove the screen for space purpose here its small desk and if the screen is opened it will hide my 22 inches lcd

Eric_On_Web, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Laptop died during "remove everything" reset - black screens and no bootable device.

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop died during "remove everything" reset - black screens and no bootable device. - Similar Threads - Laptop died during

2. Stuck in black screen during computer reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in black screen during computer reset: I decided to reset my computer by clicking on the option 'remove files and clean the drive windows 10'the "getting a few things ready" blue box reached 100%, and after that the computer went into a black screen. It has been that way for over 5 hours now. What should i do?...
  3. Stuck in black screen during computer reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in black screen during computer reset: I decided to reset my computer by clicking on the option 'remove files and clean the drive windows 10'the "getting a few things ready" blue box reached 100%, and after that the computer went into a black screen. It has been that way for over 5 hours now. What should i do?...
  4. Stuck in black screen during computer reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Laptop died during refresh

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop died during refresh: I have windows 8.1 and received message to either refresh or reset. I got the part where I saw my files. Then asus kept pushing updates. I received black box system32\cmd.exe 1 file copied. Then asus popped up with another update notice. It went into restart and now I have a...
  6. Laptop died during refresh

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop died during refresh: I have windows 8.1 and received message to either refresh or reset. I got the part where I saw my files. Then asus kept pushing updates. I received black box system32\cmd.exe 1 file copied. Then asus popped up with another update notice. It went into restart and now I have a...
  7. Laptop died during an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop died during an update: Today, a really bad storm hit my house, and knocked out the power. Anyway, my laptop was updating when this happened, and it died while we were without power. I turned my computer on once we had power back, and it says "undoing changes made to your computer". I just want to...
  8. Black screen during reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen during reset: Hey hey so I work in tech support and deal with apple computers so I’m really noob at Windows when it comes to troubleshooting them, my windows 10 pc was filled with junk and I wanted to erase completely , I selected remove everything , and went with the default setting for...
  9. Laptop died during reset and reinstalling windows 10

Laptop died during reset and reinstalling windows 10: So, i wanted to reset my laptop (its an ASUS if that matters) as it was running slow. I started a full reset wiping everything and went to bed. However, somehow my laptop got unplugged and was dead when i woke up. Now it will start and i only get these three screens :...
  10. Reset and remove everything

Reset and remove everything: Hello my friends. I reset windows 10 and chose remove everything yesterday. And i have a question.has All virus and connection history of my pc been deleted?...