Windows 10: Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update

Discus and support Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I recently bought a MSI laptop, and decided to update the BIOS. However after the update my laptop just doesn't boot anything, no USB, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Florius, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Florius Win User

Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update

Hi guys, I recently bought a MSI laptop, and decided to update the BIOS.
    However after the update my laptop just doesn't boot anything, no USB, no hard drive, nothing.

Can anyone help me out?
    I already enabled/disabled secure boot, used UEFI etc. and tried to flash the BIOS again, but nothing worked.

:)

Florius, Oct 17, 2015

2. after updates touchpad and keyboard doesnt work

hello, after windows update touch pad and keyboard of laptop stopped working (works 2 buttons (brightness up/down))

problem occurs 2nd time , first time solution was to update bios, 2nd time cannot do that cause "bios up to date"

reinstalling drivers doesn't help at all

problem remains in command promt before loading up windows

other thing i noticed after update laptop takes 3x longer time to boot up

jonaszuckovas1, Oct 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 0xc0000098 error

Maybe your boot order has changed in the BIOS/UEFI of your laptop after an update or else. It might be trying to boot on another drive like a thumb stick (even if there is none plugged in, sometimes in BIOS you could see a default entry for UEFI USB drive).
    Check in your BIOS if it still sees your boot drive as the first entry in your boot sequence. (See your laptop manual to learn how to enter your laptop BIOS/UEFI, and how to check and change your boot sequence).

If you wanna boot from a BOOTABLE dvd you need to change that boot sequence in the BIOS.

warhammer37m, Oct 17, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

There usually is a way to reset the BIOS back to the original (first). I'm not sure the procedure for your laptop, but go to the support page for your laptop and search for "reset BIOS" or something like that.

JohnC, Oct 17, 2015
  5. Florius Win User
    Sadly I am only able to find that for motherboards and CMOS, but not for BIOS for a laptop...

Florius, Oct 17, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    To try to force your way into bios, you can remove the cover over the hard drive and just unplug the cable from the hard drive then try to start the computer a couple times.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  7. Florius Win User
    I can get in the BIOS, but after the POST I only get the MSI logo.

Florius, Oct 17, 2015
  8. JohnC Win User

Try resetting the drive order in the BIOS to default. It sounds like it is not finding the harddrive. Also post the make model and year of your laptop someone here might have a similar model and be able to help.

JohnC, Oct 17, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Open up the laptop and see if you can pull the CMOS battery or push the reset if it has one.

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
  11. Florius Win User
    When pressing F11 it can find my USB and hard drive, so it can find the hard drives, because it even gives details about the brand and manufactorer.

Florius, Oct 17, 2015
  12. Florius Win User
    Florius, Oct 17, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Sounds to me like it is an UEFI/Secure Boot/Legacy boot mode compatibility problem.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  14. strollin Win User
    Is it possible to reflash the BIOS with the same version you had originally to see if that version still works?

General rule regarding flashing the BIOS is not to do it unless you are trying to fix a specific issue that the new BIOS is reputed to fix. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Hope you get things going again.

strollin, Oct 17, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Yup. If a setting is just wrong from the flash, and the new BIOS version isn't corrupt, it may be all that's needed. If you can get a previous version of your BIOS and are able to flash by booting, you'll be up and running again.
    This is why when I flash my BIOS(online inside of Windows though), my stomache always feels like it did, the 1st time when I repelled out of a Blackhawk helicopter.

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't boot

2. Windows 11 doesn't boot after enabling RAID on BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 doesn't boot after enabling RAID on BIOS: I have a new system that came with a single M.2 drive. I installed Windows 11 on it - everything was working fine. I figured I'd install Office and all of my other apps and only later move the drives from my old system to the new one.After a couple of days, when the OS was...
  3. Hp laptop not booting up after bios update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp laptop not booting up after bios update: I restarted my laptop, and a BIOS update happened. So I didn't touch it and it got to 100%. Then the computer went black. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't work, when you plug the power cord in, the light doesn't even show up....
  4. Hp laptop not booting up after bios update

Hp laptop not booting up after bios update: I restarted my laptop, and a BIOS update happened. So I didn't touch it and it got to 100%. Then the computer went black. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't work, when you plug the power cord in, the light doesn't even show up....
  5. laptop not booting up after the bios update, only the power button is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop not booting up after the bios update, only the power button is on: So i got an bios update, so while my laptop done updating that it just went blank screen only the power button is on, nothing is work, Hope if someone could help me plz...
  6. laptop not booting up after the bios update, only the power button is on

laptop not booting up after the bios update, only the power button is on: So i got an bios update, so while my laptop done updating that it just went blank screen only the power button is on, nothing is work, Hope if someone could help me plz...
  7. Laptop Boots in BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Boots in BIOS: I've got a problem with an Asus laptop that boots into the BIOS on every startup. I've taken out the old hard drive, installed an ssd to test and am able to go through the installation routine with Win 10 on a memory stick which seems to go ok. However, on a restart the...
  8. Laptop Boots in BIO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Boots in BIO: I've got a problem with an Asus laptop that boots into the BIOS on every startup. I've taken out the old hard drive, installed an ssd to test and am able to go through the installation routine with Win 10 on a memory stick which seems to go ok. However, on a restart the...
  9. Laptop not booting after bios update

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not booting after bios update: I did a bios update this morning and since then When I push power My laptop doesnt boot to the first screen and just powers on and off in a loop. Removed the battery power plug and opened up my laptop and removed the cmos battery, waited a few minutes, put everything back...
  10. Hard drive doesn't boot or show up in bios after Windows update!

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive doesn't boot or show up in bios after Windows update!: This is my first post in the forums so I hope I'm posting in the correct section! Went to work today and shut my computer down and it had some updates well when I come home my computer was on a blank screen so I rebooted it and it came up with the bios but it was unusually...