Windows 10: Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive

Discus and support Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop doesn't boot because OS is on E: drive instead of C: drive [img] When I try to boot it up (it somehow boots up as windows 8.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peter5223, Oct 17, 2015.

1. peter5223 Win User

Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive

My laptop doesn't boot because OS is on E: drive instead of C: drive

Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive [​IMG]

When I try to boot it up (it somehow boots up as windows 8.1 instead of my OS windows 10), it gives a BSoD and shows the error code 0xc000021a. I created a bootable USB drive with windows 10 pro on it, but it shows my OS as windows 8.1 instead of 10, and it doesn't allow me to restore or do a startup repair, because they both fail.

Booting up:

Repair shows windows 8.1 instead of 10:

:)

peter5223, Oct 17, 2015

2. How can I boot from my original drive after installing windows on a second drive?

Laptop ?????

SSD/HDD combo drive ???? and additional HD drive ???

If dual C:\OS SSD and D:\ 2nd partition on same drive ???

added additional HDD

or C:\ OS SSD

and another D:\ or (E:\ depends on your DVD drive letter) HDD

Yes, C:\OS and D:\ new Install can not be C:\OS it will be D:\ or E:\ OS

redo it and then connect both and then set the boot as I mentioned.

If you keep D:\ OS on one drive and boot, some programs will have issues installing or running and same with Windows update may have issues.

seahawks65, Oct 17, 2015
  3. boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

Hi Amar,

1. I tried changing the boot order: booting from cd drive/bay first (where ssd is installed), but it is not booting from SSD and subsequently booting from HHD.

2. It is booting from HHD/C drive and it is perfectly working fine, and I see my SSD as well as D drive.

My objective is to boot from SSD so that my laptop performance is better and leave my HHD as-is for storage use.

I don't want to reinstall OS and all my softwares again; I just want to clone the C drive to D drive and make the D drive as primary drive.

Please let me know if you need any more detail.

Thanks

Mahesh Dasari, Oct 17, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, are you sure your OS is on D:? E: is labelled OS.

And which partition is active? Can you check with a partition manager boot disk?

Run EasyBCD, View settings, and post a screenshot. That will show the boot loader entries.

Has this OS always been on D:? How did it get there? I'd be reluctant to suggest moving it to another partition as I'm pretty sure there will be drive letters embedded in it.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  5. peter5223 Win User
    Thanks for the reply

Yes, sorry, I meant E:

How do I use/get partition manager boot disk and EasyBCD?

peter5223, Oct 17, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, search is a man's best friend... simply search and download.

Try Easeus Partition Manager and create a boot disk. There are many such programs. (freeware & commercial)

Use: either intuitive, or read manual.

EasyBCD - small freeware.
    Looks at your boot loader.
    (Not tried it from a boot disk, tho...!)
    Take control of your boot loader. EasyBCD supercharges your Windows PC, allowing you to dual-boot to your heart's content. Boot anything. Boot both from and into USB drives, ISO images, virtual disks, and more. Boot anywhere. Create bootable USB sticks with repair utilities that you can take with you anywhere. Protect against disaster. Create entries to boot into recovery utilities or safe mode to prepare for a rainy day. Painless editing. Add, rename, remove, configure, and reorder entries at whim. Solve difficult problems. Use EasyBCD to troubleshoot Windows, back up and repair the bootloader, and more. Read more at: Download EasyBCD - MajorGeeks

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    This may be what you will need once we know the partition is ok (Primary, Active)
    Restore, Fix, Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows

Sorry, realised the free version of Easeus Partition Manager does not include the boot CD.
    Try
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Can you describe how you got to this situation?
    What makes you certain that E: should contain Win 10?
    (Note; to check, see E:\Windows\SystemApps - you should see Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy)

And what makes you think it's booting Win 8.1- when do you see that?

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Really need a picture of your disk management screen because all those drive letters might be separate partitions on one drive, or different drives/DVDs/USBs. It looks like the computer needs to be set to boot from X: drive which requires the bios to be set to boot from that hard drive first, and the partition that contains X: drive needs to be set as the active partition. Then install EasyBCD on whatever OS it boots into and adjust your bcd settings.

Alternatively, use another computer to make yourself a Macrium Reflect Free rescue disc/USB, boot the laptop from it and use the utility included with it to fix boot problems to set up our boot drive/order again.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, this should help you get an idea of which partitions should be active/primary:

That's from Minitool Partition Wizard.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would set X drive as active. Either the 61.93 GB or the 101 MB partition must be the active partition because with MBR type disk you have to boot from a primary partition.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  11. peter5223 Win User
    Hi,
    I have downloaded easybcd now, not sure how to use it, do I install in on a USB stick and boot it up on the broken laptop? Windows 10 OS used to be on C: drive until I used some 3rd party application to try and clean up the system, somehow it is now on E: drive, and C: drive is empty. Can't use minitool partition wizard because I don't have any spare cd's lying around. (I will try to put the iso on a usb stick) *Shock

peter5223, Oct 17, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    (That's my functional laptop... not peter5223's)

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

1. Let's confirm you have Win 10 on E (probably).

Using your Win 10 Boot CD, go to a command prompt and view E:\Windows\SystemApps as I said above (the drive letter may be different when using the CD). Can you see Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy?

2. You need a bootable USB with Minitool Partition Wizard on it. you may need to use RUFUS to do that.
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  14. sn00ker Win User
    Have you just try to active the E drive ? Under Disk Management go to the E drive and right click on it and select Mark Partition as Active. See if that works

sn00ker, Oct 18, 2015
  15. peter5223 Win User
    I had to do a clean reinstall of the windows system using a the windows bootable media USB thing, but it is now fixed.

peter5223, Oct 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't boot

2. C drive got changed to D drive because of installing os in new ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive got changed to D drive because of installing os in new ssd: It all started when my laptop started to restarting again and again when ever there a was lag. This happened for 2-3 days, and after that when i started my laptop, after scanning files and preparing for automatic repair, after some time a message was displayed that windows...
  3. C drive got changed to D drive because of installing os in new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive got changed to D drive because of installing os in new ssd: It all started when my laptop started to restarting again and again when ever there a was lag. This happened for 2-3 days, and after that when i started my laptop, after scanning files and preparing for automatic repair, after some time a message was displayed that windows...
  4. C drive got changed to D drive because of installing os in new ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with installing games to D drive instead of C.: Yesterday I purchased the Xbox Game pass ultimate for PC. I only have the option to install games onto my C drive, but there's not enough space on it. Whenever I try to install games on my D drive it states, "This location isn't set up for installing games.Set it as your...
  6. C drive and D drive

C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  7. D Drive became C Drive, C became OS: F

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    D Drive became C Drive, C became OS: F: Hi, After an update and not using my laptop for a week, after powering on my laptop, my profile was completely different, my wallpaper, profile name, and all my on screen apps were gone. I checked and my Downloads, desktop, pictures, music, videos and documents file and it...
  8. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  9. App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.

App download keeps defaulting to D drive instead of C drive.: I am attempting to download the most current Nox Player app to my Windows 10 PC but it keeps attempting the download to my D drive instead of my C drive. I do not have the room on my D drive for the download. I am unable to get it to download to my C drive. My computer...
  10. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...