Windows 10: Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down

Discus and support Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to windows 10 and when I try to shut down the OS safely shuts down but the laptop stays on meaning I have to turn it off manually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 276rik, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 276rik Win User

Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and when I try to shut down the OS safely shuts down but the laptop stays on meaning I have to turn it off manually (hold the power button). I have tried turning off hybrid shutdown but this hasn't helped. How do I fix this?

:)

276rik, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Serena60 Win User

Problems shutting down and turning back on

After installing Windows 10, my laptop doesn't seem to be shutting down fully. After the update, my laptop seems to shut down like usual, but the start and power buttons do not turn off. It used to turn off when shutting down before the update. It seems
    to freeze at that point. I have to remove the battery and reinsert it to be able to turn it back on again. The same thing happens with sleep mode.

Serena60, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 gets stuck during shutdown with a blank screen

I'm fairly sure this is a Windows 10 issue as it only started after Windows 10 was installed on my laptop.

Sometimes when I shut down my laptop, the shutdown gets stuck. It finishes displaying the shutting down screen, and the screen goes off, but the laptop remains on. The only way I can get it to turn off after that is holding the power button for a force shut
    down.

It doesn't happen every time I shut down, but I haven't managed to find any pattern as to why/when it does and doesn't do it.

The laptop has lights on it, and those always used to remain on for about 5 seconds after the screen turned off, but now they never go off by themselves. The cooling fan also continues to spin after shutting down.

Some details about my setup:

Computer: Alienware 17 Laptop

Previous OS: Windows 8.1

Estragon Helmer, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down

1. Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't turn

2. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC turns itself back on after shut down: Happened to me this morning, i got off my computer and clicked on shutdown and immediately after it restarted. I retried shutting it down today but it just restarts....
  3. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC turns itself back on after shut down: Happened to me this morning, i got off my computer and clicked on shutdown and immediately after it restarted. I retried shutting it down today but it just restarts....
  4. My Laptop Turns ON by itself after SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop Turns ON by itself after SHUT DOWN: Hi, I have a problem that started yesterday...When I SHUT DOWN my laptop, a few seconds later I see it already turned ON, and when I decided to watch it doing that, I found out that it doesn't even show me the normal Boot sequence, my screen just turns ON as if I just put my...
  5. My Laptop Turns ON by itself after SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Laptop Turns ON by itself after SHUT DOWN: Hi, I have a problem that started yesterday...When I SHUT DOWN my laptop, a few seconds later I see it already turned ON, and when I decided to watch it doing that, I found out that it doesn't even show me the normal Boot sequence, my screen just turns ON as if I just put my...
  6. My Laptop Turns ON by itself after SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Laptop Turns ON by itself after SHUT DOWN: Hi, I have a problem that started yesterday...When I SHUT DOWN my laptop, a few seconds later I see it already turned ON, and when I decided to watch it doing that, and I found that it doesn't even show me the normal Boot sequence, my screen just turns ON as if I just put my...
  7. Laptop shuts down by itself.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shuts down by itself.: It's been a day now that I have been getting this problem.. My laptop suddenly, out of nowhere decides to shut down after like 45 mins of usage. I thought it is because of overheating though I do not do any heavy gaming or work. The fan is functioning properly I tried...
  8. Laptop turns itself back on as soon as shutting down

Laptop turns itself back on as soon as shutting down: My laptop has been turning itself right back on as soon as I shut it down. I have tried several different things from deactivating mouse, keyboard and bluetooth devices from waking the computer up to running system scan to fix corrupt files. I also tried turning off fast...
  9. Laptop shuts down by itself.

Laptop shuts down by itself.: My laptop shuts itself down as soon as left idle for a short amount of time. Have to press power button for a long time before screen becomes alive again and then message appears in upper left hand corner that system did not shut down cleanly. It then goes through some...
  10. Computer doesn't shut down by itself.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer doesn't shut down by itself.: Hi, I click the windows10 icon and option comes; shut down. I press that one and I see stars going round the circle but computer doesn't shut down. Overnight it remained same. Next morning, I had to shut down manually. Why? 32165