Windows 10: Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking)

Discus and support Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I put my laptop to sleep and then attempt to wake it up, it will power on (going through the boot up screens) instead of just waking up, thus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by peter5223, Oct 14, 2015.

1. peter5223 Win User

Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking)

When I put my laptop to sleep and then attempt to wake it up, it will power on (going through the boot up screens) instead of just waking up, thus causing me to lose any information open on the computer.

I have tried a few things to try to wake it up to no avail:
    sfc /scannow in cmd
    unplug all usb devices before going to sleep/waking up
    rollback graphics drivers
    resetting power plan settings and power button settings back to default state

Is there some memory dump file I could send to help fix this?

:)

peter5223, Oct 14, 2015

2. Problem with the Windows 10 Fall Update 1709

Hi

Yes I would like to share the problem am facing with this latest update.

My laptop is not waking up from sleep, I have to press the power button and shut it down completely everytime this is happening. I have tried updating graphics drivers and sleep settings, nothing helped.

(Waking up fails 80% of the times. Sometimes miraculously computer wakes up from sleep extremely effectively but that's only sometimes.. I don't know how.)

When the laptop sleeps the power led turns red from blue and blinks, sometimes It is even refusing to sleep, suppose I selected sleep from the shutdown menu the screen goes blank but the blue power led doesn't turn red instead it stays blue and I have to restart
    it again. (It happens rarely)

Shiv Kamal Upadhaya, Oct 14, 2015
  3. After the recent update my Windows 10 HP laptop doesn't wake up from sleep mode

I also wanted to mention that when I put my laptop to hibernate instead of sleep and want to wake it up, there is the same problem - pressing the power button doesn't wake the laptop. So I have to keep it pressed until the power button's led light goes off
    and then press it again so that it powers up. But unlike after waking up from sleep mode, when my laptop wakes up after hibernate all my files and open webpages are there, and I don't have to restore them.

Thank you,

Govsiya

Saragosa777, Oct 14, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcome to Ten Forums *Smile.
    Could you tell us whether your Win 10 installation was an upgrade or a clean install?
    What happens if you disable fast startup?
    There are some lengthy threads in the forum about sleep issues- worth searching to see if anything helps. As you can probably guess not all sleep-related threads match your exact symptom.
    (Simply search the forum for 'sleep' e.g.)

Similar laptop & issue (no answers)
    Laptop doesn't wake up from sleep, but reboots instead : Windows10

dalchina, Oct 14, 2015
  5. peter5223 Win User
    Hi, thanks dalchina

My laptop was an upgrade from windows 8.1 Pro, however, it was working fine on windows 10 Pro up until a few weeks ago. I tried to disable fast start-up, however the option isn't there, perhaps because my laptop is on a domain network. (see screenshot below). Also, the problem in the reddit link is the exact same as mine.

Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking) [​IMG]

peter5223, Oct 15, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 15, 2015
  7. peter5223 Win User
    I disabled it, it didn't work, then re enabled it and it still doesn't work. Is there a way to check any logs to see what the cause is?

peter5223, Oct 16, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you know when this problem started to occur, you might like to look at your Windows update history to see if any drivers were installed about then.

As your PC was working with Win 10, that implies there was a change, assuming when you say it was working, that definitely includes exactly the sequence you now find is failing- i.e. sleep was working then.

Quick ways to look at events (which might give a clue) are utilities like
    appcrashview, whocrashed (downloadable from first search result).
    Some deride these as not pointing to the real cause, ok, but to give at least a quick idea, useful.

So install these small freeware programs, have the crash happen, note the time, use these, also event viewer.

For interest:
    System won't wake up from sleep, restarts instead - Windows 10 Forums
    - note error msg

dalchina, Oct 16, 2015
  9. peter5223 Win User
    I did a clean installation of the windows OS, however the problem still remained, so it seems like a hardware fault and I will have to send it to the manufacturer to be repaired.

peter5223, Oct 19, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if it's in warranty you may be in luck. Frustrating tho- but plenty of people have this sort of problem. 'Fixes' abound...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking) - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't wake

2. Waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Waking from sleep: Every time I put the computer into sleep mode and then wake it up, it says no contact with the monitor after I turn on the monitor. I then have to leave the monitor on and put the computer to sleep via the keyboard and wake it up, it then sees and connects with the monitor....
  3. Waking from sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Waking from sleep?: I understand how to stop windows waking from sleep but there are so many steps. By this I mean, the IMO, the sleep function in windows, by default is not fit for purpose. You have to make sure WOL is disabled, sleep timers, usb devices disabled allowing to wake are disabled....
  4. Waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Waking from sleep: Since the last update my mouse won't wake my pc from sleep - i have to press the reset button. I've checked power options etc Help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waking-from-sleep/16c5f540-8199-48ba-a97b-971670323493
  5. Wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake from sleep: I’ve set my windows pc many times to only wake from sleep when a key from my keyboard has been pressed, not on mouse movement. It works for a couple of times and then it reverts to how it was before!! I’m getting very frustrated and would love a solution to this! submitted...
  6. Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode

Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode: I've seen lots of power/sleep problems discussed on forums, but nothing exactly like the problem I'm having since the latest Windows 10 update. The laptop seems to go to sleep fine. Then when I open the lid or press the power button to wake it up, it makes the unmistakable...
  7. Sometimes laptop doesn't wake from sleep

Sometimes laptop doesn't wake from sleep: I have an Acer Aspire E15. Sporadically, the laptop doesn't wake when I open the lid. I can hear it starts to buzz but the display won't turn on. I have to hard reset it via holding the power button. Any help appreciated!...
  8. waking from sleep.

waking from sleep.: I have just changed from Win 10 home 32 bit to the 64 bit version. The crap I had with it starting up, shutting down the doing full cold boot after waking from sleep with a long time to come up still exists. I do not believe I am the only person in the world with this...
  9. laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop will not wake for task from shutdown: new windows 10 pro system, all updates installed lenovo p51s i7 7600 checked BIOS for any related s3/s5 settings but did not see anything nothing in power settings about fast startup (to disable) turned hibernate off with powergfg.exe the laptop will wake from...
  10. will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    will not wake from sleep: I have a 4 yr old custom built desktop upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro about 8 months ago. Up until two weeks ago the sleep/wake up has worked perfect. Now the unit will not wake from sleep. I have tried everything I have seen and nothing has worked. It has to be booted...