Windows 10: Laptop External Monitor Problem

Discus and support Laptop External Monitor Problem in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; A have a HP ProBook 450 G2(2015) connected via HDMI to an external monitor LGM2762D I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10approximately two months ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Chrise, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Chrise Win User

Laptop External Monitor Problem

A have a HP ProBook 450 G2(2015) connected via HDMI to an external monitor LGM2762D
    I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10approximately two months ago
    Every morning when I start the laptop itappears to take approximately 20 minutes to synchronize with my externalmonitor
    I have tried everything in the meantime toresolve this problem:-
    · Upgraded Graphic card drivers -Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
    · Replaced HDMI cable
    · Rebooted laptop
    · Disconnected monitor power andHDMI connection
    · Connected laptop via HDMI tothree other monitors(TV’s etc), same problem.?
    My only current solution appears to bepower up the laptop in the morning and return in 20 minutes when laptop has synchronizedwith my LG monitor and I can therefore see what I am doing
    Prior to upgrading toWindows 10, I had no such problem with Windows 7.?
    I would be mostgrateful for any suggestions from this forum please
    Many thanks

:)

Chrise, Oct 29, 2016
  2. BKXC Win User

External monitor not recognized at power up or waking from sleep

I have a Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop that does not recognize the presence of an external monitor unless I disconnect/reconnect the cable between the laptop and the monitor. Yoga 720 has USB-C port for external monitor. I use a Lenovo USB-C/HDMI adapter + HDMI
    cable to external monitor. The laptop will not recognize the presence of an external monitor after power up or after waking up from sleep. The monitor status screen reports it is not receiving any signal. Problem occurs with HP and Philips external monitors.
    After disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable, the laptop recognizes the presence of the external monitor and automatically switches to dual monitor operation. Windows 10 + drivers are all up to date.

3. REL1973 Win User
    Flickering laptop screen

UPDATE:

I connected an external monitor and the flickering was constrained to my laptop display only, no issues on the external monitor. Therefore, I concluded the problem is not incompatible apps, but rather more serious problem with the laptop screen, inverter,
    etc. To use the external monitor with the laptop lid closed, I changed the settings for "What happens when I close the lid?" from hibernation to do nothing. While I didn't notice right away, but the screen flickering stopped. So about a week ago I disconnected
    the external monitor and the laptop's screen has not flickered. Does this make sense?

I'll keep external monitor just in case.

Thanks.

REL1973, Oct 29, 2016
  4. Laptop External Monitor Problem

So the external just stays blank for 20 minutes? Main screen still usable? If you press the Windows Logo Key *Start + P right after booting up is Extend pre selected?

alphanumeric, Oct 30, 2016
  5. Chrise Win User
    No laptop currently set to Second screen only as I wish utilise large LG monitor as my main screen, would it be advisable to change this setting to Extend ?

Thank you for response

Chrise, Oct 30, 2016
  6. You could switch it and see what happens. You can set which ever monitor you want as the main screen by the way. It doesn't have to be the laptop screen.
    Settings > System > Display, Select the one you want as main, then put a check in the box for "Make this my Main display" and click apply.
    Windows will also remember what screen you last opened a program on too. I run triple displays. The first time I launch a program or App, it open on my main screen. I then drag it to the one I want it on. If I then close it and relaunch it, it will open on the screen I had dragged it to. It will remember this even if you shutdown and restart Windows. If the external monitor isn't connected or isn't detected, it may switch back to PC Only and shuffle things around though.
    I run an external USB Monitor on my laptop and it switches back to PC Only automatically if the external isn't plugged in when I boot up.

alphanumeric, Oct 31, 2016
  7. Chrise Win User
    Switched setting to Extend, had exactly the same problem this morning, had to wait 20mins for LG monitor to come to life?
    My laptop screen was "ON" , unfortunately no display therefore I could not do anything once again unless I disconnected external monitor

Chrise, Oct 31, 2016
  8. Laptop External Monitor Problem

I have no idea why that's happening? I run an external on my laptop, but its USB connected. Does that device have switchable graphics? If it does have dual GPU's the delay may be it trying to figure out which GPU to use?

9. Chrise Win User
    Switchable graphics, it would appear not(from my understanding)

Device Manager
    • Display Adapters
      • Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

This is a somewhat bizarre problem as it only happens first thing in the morning when I boot laptop up, laptop just appears not to release a picture to the LG monitor. For the remainder of each day when laptop/LG times out(power), there is not problem they synchronize perfectly.?

Thanks again

Chrise, Oct 31, 2016
  10. Power up from full shutdown or from sleep/hibernate?

11. Chrise Win User
    Power up from sleep/hibernate as I only shutdown laptop at the end of each day?

Chrise, Oct 31, 2016
  12. But that first power up, where you have the issue, is from a cold start right? Depending on what you mean by "I only shutdown laptop at the end of each day"?

13. Chrise Win User

Yep 100% correct, problem only occurs from cold start

Couple of my other thoughts:-
    • Windows 10 Login background consistently changes, whilst I enjoy these fabulous images, could this be the reason for the delay
    • Day/date change which effects graphic card and therefore creates my problem
    • Windows 10 updates, but these do not happen on a daily basis
    Just getting frustrating as on some days I have exceptionally urgent things to do, yet I have to wait for approximately 20 mins

Never had such a problem with Windows 7

thanks again

Chrise, Oct 31, 2016
  14. Have a look in Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen. There you can turn off the slid show, and set what background you want displayed.
    Not sure where your going with the Day/Date change? If its forgetting the Day/Date/Time, the CMOS battery may need to be replaced?
    Any time I get updates, I get a prompt on screen, with a % done etc.

Just throwing this out there, if this was originally an upgrade, you might want to consider doing a Clean Install. Or doing a Windows Reset. I've had issues in the past after doing upgrades. On a clean install, on that same hardware, no such issues.

15. Chrise Win User
    I will adjust settings as you suggested, day/date/time my thinking was the problem only occurs the following day, battery is 100% ok

Upgrades thank you, yes I understand

Windows reset, please can you advise me on the best way to undertake this option

Incidentally my HP laptop was returned under T&C's of guarantee due to a minor Bluetooth problem, HP upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 at my request

Chrise, Oct 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Laptop External Monitor Problem - Similar Threads - Laptop External Monitor

2. External Monitor Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitor Problem: I have a Dell Latitude E5540 on Windows 10 and have a problem with adding an AMW monitor which I previously used with this computer for years without a problem. Had to replace the capacitors in the monitor and now have something weird going on. I can use the monitor on my...
  3. External Monitor Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor Problem: I have a Dell Latitude E5540 on Windows 10 and have a problem with adding an AMW monitor which I previously used with this computer for years without a problem. Had to replace the capacitors in the monitor and now have something weird going on. I can use the monitor on my...
  4. External Monitor Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Monitor Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor Problem: I have a latitude E5540 with an external monitor drive problem. I connected the monitor to another computer and the monitor works fine. But when connected to the Latitude computer, the screen is all white and gradually fades to all black. Any ideas? Has the driver failed?...
  6. External Monitor Problem

External Monitor Problem: I have a latitude E5540 with an external monitor drive problem. I connected the monitor to another computer and the monitor works fine. But when connected to the Latitude computer, the screen is all white and gradually fades to all black. Any ideas? Has the driver failed?...
  7. External Monitor Problem

8. Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop

Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop: Laptop: Acer Spin 3Monitor: Samsung t55 24 inch curvedThere's no sound from the monitor after connecting it to the laptop using a HDMI cable. I tried troubleshooting and changing the default playback devices, but it didnt work....
  9. Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop

Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop: Laptop: Acer Spin 3Monitor: Samsung t55 24 inch curvedThere's no sound from the monitor after connecting it to the laptop using a HDMI cable. I tried troubleshooting and changing the default playback devices, but it didnt work....
  10. External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?: I use an external monitor for my laptop, and the display is much bigger, but the resolution is limited by the laptop. All of the icons, the taskbar, and the mouse cursor are too big for the size of the monitor, it is as if I'm just using the laptop monitor. I have an NVIDIA...