Windows 10: Laptop fan not spinning.

Discus and support Laptop fan not spinning. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have an Asus Rog G771JW laptop, I had it for almost 6 months now. Lately I have been noticing that when turned on it would make a loud scraping noise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jaakow22, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Jaakow22 Win User

Laptop fan not spinning.

I have an Asus Rog G771JW laptop, I had it for almost 6 months now. Lately I have been noticing that when turned on it would make a loud scraping noise that would last ~10 seconds. But yesterday the fan completly stopped (from what I can hear) only the CPU fan is spinning which is rather small and cools only the CPU, the main fan, the one that cools the GPU and instakes and exausts the air is not spinning at all. I have tried rebooting it multiple times, reinstalling and the drivers. It does not allow me to control fan speeds through BIOS or afterburner. Before doing an RMA I just wanted to check if I'm missing something, I use the laptop for gaming but I'm unable to because the whole system throttles in a matter of seconds after running any game.

I appreciate any help I can get, if not I'll just RMA it.

:)

Jaakow22, Mar 4, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

inconsistent fan speeds

Hardware questions are best answered by Asus. Windows doesn't control when or how fast your laptop's fan spins. The fan spins in response to heat. The best kind of laptop fan spins only as fast as it needs to at the time, which helps to save the battery.

Have you thought of playing music in the background? When I'm shaking the windows and setting off car alarms in three zip codes I don't even notice my fan.

BulldogXX, Mar 4, 2016
  3. arammah Win User
    My laptop fan is going crazy and won’t stop spinning

I have had my laptop for abour two years now and it has been working fine until about two weeks ago when the fan started making grinding noises and was on all the time. All of a sudden though my laptop fan started going crazy, it is loud and seems like it
    is spinning really fast. The laptop doesn’t seem to be heating up. I turned off my laptop and left it over night but the next morning when i turned on my laptop the fan starts spinning right away and it still makes the loud noise.

Model:

13-s020nr

arammah, Mar 4, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Laptop fan not spinning.

Give it a good cleaning. Probably full of lint.

5. Jaakow22 Win User
    Is it safe to open the back of it without voiding warranty?

Jaakow22, Mar 4, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    If it is still under warrenty, that will be voided. Else it will depend on the model how difficult it is to open. You can always go to a professional shop and have them do it.

7. Jaakow22 Win User
    It is still under warranty for another year and half so I guess I'll just take it to the nearest Asus service.

Jaakow22, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop fan not spinning.

1. Laptop fan not spinning. - Similar Threads - Laptop fan spinning

2. Fan is spinning in both directions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fan is spinning in both directions: My laptop fan is spinning in different direction clockwise and counterclockwise. It will spin clockwise for a few seconds and counterclockwise for a few seconds, again and again every time it is turned on. And it is also very noisy. I am wondering why this happened, can...
  3. Laptop's fans spin up when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop's fans spin up when idle: Why do my laptop's fans spin up after screen turns off when it goes idle? When woken up, it stabilizes in a few minutes and is silent again as if some service stopped and it cooled down.This was happening on all my windows laptops in the past, it's not exclusive to my latest...
  4. Laptop's fans spin up when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop's fans spin up when idle: Why do my laptop's fans spin up after screen turns off when it goes idle? When woken up, it stabilizes in a few minutes and is silent again as if some service stopped and it cooled down.This was happening on all my windows laptops in the past, it's not exclusive to my latest...
  5. Laptop's fans spin up when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Laptop fan spins terribly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop fan spins terribly: Hi Team WindowsI have an issue with different laptop brands loaded windows 10 and windows 11.The fan spins terribly for a longer time while working on a spreadsheet or outlook, basically list resources consumed.This has nothing to do with low ram or low hard drive space.The...
  7. Laptop fan spins terribly

Laptop fan spins terribly: Hi Team WindowsI have an issue with different laptop brands loaded windows 10 and windows 11.The fan spins terribly for a longer time while working on a spreadsheet or outlook, basically list resources consumed.This has nothing to do with low ram or low hard drive space.The...
  8. Laptop fan spins terribly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Laptop fan spins up to max for no obvious reason

Laptop fan spins up to max for no obvious reason: As stated above.In viewing task manager I tend to see nothing obvious that could be the cause. Once the fan gets going it doesn't appear as if it will stop until I shut my laptop down fully.Checked my fan physically and no dust.Replaced thermal compound between cpu and heat...
  10. Fans not spinning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fans not spinning: I have some Rgb fans and they are not spinning it came with a fan hub and after a day it didn't work anymore. I am powering the fan hub using a sata connector but it doesn't work for some reason....