Windows 10: Laptop "freezes" and stops completely working after a few days

Discus and support Laptop "freezes" and stops completely working after a few days in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have this rather old HP Pavilion laptop that I use for one thing only, and that is to feed aircraft data to a website called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Hoggorm, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Laptop "freezes" and stops completely working after a few days

Hello,

I have this rather old HP Pavilion laptop that I use for one thing only, and that is to feed aircraft data to a website called Flightradar24.com

I've not installed many programs on this computer. Except for the data feed software provided by Flightradar24 I have installed these software:

1Password
    7-Zip
    Auslogics Disk Defrag
    CCleaner
    Dropbox
    Google Chrome
    McAfee Antivirus
    TeamViewer (So that I remotely can control the laptop when needed from a more suitable computer)

What happens is that after a few days I'm unable to reach this laptop via TeamViewer. When I then physically open the lid the screen appears to have "frozen". I can move the mouse and usually open software, press the start button and restart the computer. The clock however is wrong and do not change though. The feed software has sent its last data at the time the clock displays. For example, the correct time can be 1420, but the laptop clock will perhaps show 0826.

I've made a task schedule to restart the computer every night at 0200. This is done as expected until the computer freezes.

After manually restarting the computer everything works as expected, the clock is correct, the computer feeds data and I am able to remotely connect via TeamViewer for another few days before it freezes again...

Any ideas and help on how to fix this would be highly appreciated!

Thank you.

:)

Hoggorm, Aug 4, 2016

2. error message "driver support has stopped working"

i'm getting an error message "driver support has stopped working" a few minutes after that the computer freezes up and i have to manually shut down. it starts up fine but soon does it again. i tried to download drivers but the computer freezes up before
    download is complete. this started after i "upgraded" from windows 8 to 10.

wilmashields, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Laptop freezing, how to block Anniv Update

My laptop freezing post update. No SSD. System restore fixed the freeze. Update reinstalled a few days later... Freezing again. Do I have to do this every couple of days?

Jason and Rahny, Aug 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Check your CMOS battery.
    How to stop your PC's Windows clock losing time - How-To - PC Advisor

Suggest doing a memory check, and run a program such as this:
    PassMark BurnInTest software - PC Reliability and Load Testing

to stress test your PC.

Also check your event viewer and see if there's anything helpful there. Reliability History may help too. That's assuming it managed to log anything before freezing, of course.

If nothing shows from above, you can try leaving it on in Safe Mode and see if it remains functional for long enough.
    If so, try a clean boot and repeat.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Hoggorm Win User
    Thank you dalchina,

I'll try your suggestions and post the results.

Hoggorm, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Hoggorm Win User
    I did not find any problems with the laptop running the suggested tests. However, after I deleted McAfee Antivirus the computer has not stopped working a single time so that appears to be the solution.

I cannot explain why that solved the problem though...

Hoggorm, Aug 25, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Glad it's solved- definitely less than obvious...
    Sometimes that's the way.. although a quick search didn't suggest problems with McAfee...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop "freezes" and stops completely working after a few days - Similar Threads - Laptop freezes stops

2. PC Completely freezes after a few minutes of gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Completely freezes after a few minutes of gaming: Everything was normal before, but yesterday, from the first attempt to play, after a few minutes, windows just crashes, the screen goes black, and the sound glitches out.Tried a few games, every one of them ends up in the same situation, my screen just goes black and the...
  3. PC Completely freezes after a few minutes of gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Completely freezes after a few minutes of gaming: Everything was normal before, but yesterday, from the first attempt to play, after a few minutes, windows just crashes, the screen goes black, and the sound glitches out.Tried a few games, every one of them ends up in the same situation, my screen just goes black and the...
  4. PC Completely freezes after a few minutes of gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. hp laptop trackpad stops working after a few mintues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hp laptop trackpad stops working after a few mintues: My trackpad for my hp laptop just stopped working and I need it the most. I tried restarting my laptop, updating the drivers, cleaning the trackpad, but nothing works. It's like it's dead I don't have a spare mouse or keyboard either....
  6. hp laptop trackpad stops working after a few mintues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hp laptop trackpad stops working after a few mintues: My trackpad for my hp laptop just stopped working and I need it the most. I tried restarting my laptop, updating the drivers, cleaning the trackpad, but nothing works. It's like it's dead I don't have a spare mouse or keyboard either....
  7. hp laptop trackpad stops working after a few mintues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Laptop's Keyboard stopped working completely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop's Keyboard stopped working completely: I was working on my computer it was working well till last night.Some days earlier my touchpad and keyboard both were behaving abnormally but I found that problem was in Mice and other pointing device's driver so I just disabled it and my problem was resolved. But I don't...
  9. Laptop webcam works for few seconds and then freezes

Laptop webcam works for few seconds and then freezes: My laptop: Acer Predator Helios 300 The Problem: The camera works, for a few seconds then the image freezes. In every camera\video app I've tried, the problem repeats: Win Camera, Zoom & Skype. What I've tried: Installing the latest windows updates. Uninstalling and...
  10. Keyboard and touchpad stopped working a few days after windows 10 update!

Keyboard and touchpad stopped working a few days after windows 10 update!: I am having a weird problem with my laptop. It's keyboard and touchpad stooped working a few days after windows 10 upgrade. I have tried so many thing to resolve the issue! I restarted several times. I tried log in in safe mode. didn't work. I updated the drivers....