Windows 10: Laptop HDMI to TV: video but no audio

Discus and support Laptop HDMI to TV: video but no audio in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay. I'm having one heck of a time trying to get this thing to work. I recently purchased a new Asus laptop running Windows 10. I have it plugged in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by brettoblaster, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Laptop HDMI to TV: video but no audio

Okay. I'm having one heck of a time trying to get this thing to work. I recently purchased a new Asus laptop running Windows 10. I have it plugged in to an HDMI switcher which, in turn, runs to my TV. Now the problem is I am getting no audio from my TV speakers, but the video is perfect. I know it's not any of my HDMI cables because I plugged in my older laptop and that works perfect. And I know it's not the switcher. I also tried to right click on my audio device manager and it says nothing about my TV or HDMI being the default audio player. I've also checked on "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices." I've downloaded the AMD Catalyst but that didn't seem to do anything. I am completely stumped. My other laptop was working flawlessly as soon as I plugged it in. Any advice would be wonderful.

:)

brettoblaster, Jun 17, 2016

2. soundproblems when using HDMI cable.

Having a similar problem, except trying to play both audio and video through the same HDMI cord just to the TV as a mirror of the laptop. Previously, video and audio both came from the TV as well as video on the laptop. However, something happened and sound
    is only coming out of the laptop now. Video is on both TV and laptop.

Turned laptop on and off. Exchanged HDMI cables. Made sure driver software was up to date. Still no luck. Went into control panel sound settings and HDMI/TV is not even an option to click on.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

DannieMerz, Jun 17, 2016
  3. No Sound on TV (HDMI) connected from Windows 10 laptop.

Old title: No Sound on TV (HDMI)

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting the sound to come out of my TV when hooked up to my laptop through the HDMI port.

There is perfect video, just no audio on the TV, it comes out of my laptop instead.

It worked fine when I had windows 7 (same HDMI cord) but ever since upgrading to windows 10 it hasn't worked.

When I go into playback devices the TV is not an option to select.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

NorthernAvalanche, Jun 17, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Laptop HDMI to TV: video but no audio

The new laptop may use a newer version of HDMI eg 1.4 , while the old one used 1.2 and you may need new cables if going to a higher resolution eg 4K which the old cable don't support too .

take the HDMI switcher out and try it direct too , incase it is it , that cant handle a newer version of HDMI

Kbird, Jun 17, 2016
  5. Okay. So I tried a number of things. I ran the HDMI directly to the TV and it worked fine, so perhaps it's not the cable? Although for one reason or another, I need to utilize the switcher, and for some reason my laptop simply won't recognize it as an audio source. It's gotta be something on the laptop. I even pulled out an old crappy switcher is used to use, and with that I was able to get audio and video, but there was quite a noticeable delay with both.

brettoblaster, Jun 18, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    I'm no expert on this stuff , sounds like the Switcher is the issue to me if not recognized, perhaps see if the Manufacturer has a Firmware update or anything for it perhaps ,check their FAQ too..

Kbird, Jun 18, 2016
  7. It's just weird that the switcher will work with one laptop but not the other. I'll keep digging. Thanks for the input.

brettoblaster, Jun 18, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

I am guessing (again *Smile ) that it is a HDMI version issue , I have seen similar issues with DisplayPort 1.1 and 1.2 , I think HDMI 1.4 needs different cables to be capable of hi resolutions (4k) for eg. but I am not sure why your audio is now not working.

Kbird, Jun 18, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Check Audio settings on computer - you might still have it set to Analog / phones etc.
    You can easily test that - try connecting headphones to the socket and see (hear !!) if there's any audio.

You've tested the switcher I assume - swapped the laptops around.

Incidentally quite a nice cheap piece of kit is an Audio splitter - it's a standard HDMI cable with L and R audio output as well. The slightly more expensive ones have Digital (Optical) audio output too. Often 5.1/7.1 as well. Great if you have better sound systems than the standard fairly cheap desktop speakers.

OK not a solution to your current problem but I thought I'd mention it as it's a useful piece of kit - a lot have never heard of this type of stuff.

For multi-media I'd suggest also using VLC as it has zero problems with almost any video / audio codec thrown at it.

Also not a solution to your problem - but saves loads of cables etc -- for multi-media on your TV try using something like PLEX media server (free) on the computer(s) - it's free. If you don't have a smart TV then a google chromecast device works brilliantly.
    The advantage of using a server is that you can easily switch on the TV to the computer you want serving the video you want to watch (or the audio if music). So mch better than messy cables and switch boxes. Again just a suggestion - I know it doesn't solve the problem but IMO this is a much neater, cleaner and more elegant solution to the problem - YMMV of course. Just to note --the PLEX server(s) are controlled by using a smart phone (Free PLEX app) so it's really easy on the remote TV. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop HDMI to TV: video but no audio - Similar Threads - Laptop HDMI video

2. hdmi tv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdmi tv: I had hdmi for two years. I cleaned my laptop and now on my tv screen only shows image of my laptop back ground. It will not let me use my tv as a screen, but I do have sound that comes from my tv that is from the laptop. Can anybody explain to me what happen or how to fix...
  3. hdmi tv

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdmi tv: I had hdmi for two years. I cleaned my laptop and now on my tv screen only shows image of my laptop back ground. It will not let me use my tv as a screen, but I do have sound that comes from my tv that is from the laptop. Can anybody explain to me what happen or how to fix...
  4. Hdmi - laptop - tv

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Hdmi - laptop - tv: Hi I recently installed win10 64 on my old Dell laptop. Ram:4gb, Intel core i3 cpu m330, 2,13ghz Graphic: Intel HD graphics I have a problem with connecting my laptop to tv using hdmi cable. First of all: it works if the tv is turned on first then laptop. If I try to do it...
  5. Hdmi - laptop - tv

in Windows 10 Support
    Hdmi - laptop - tv: Hi I recently installed win10 64 on my old Dell laptop. Ram:4gb, Intel core i3 cpu m330, 2,13ghz Graphic: Intel HD graphics I have a problem with connecting my laptop to tv using hdmi cable. First of all: it works if the tv is turned on first then laptop. If I try to do it...
  6. Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.: I'm trying to hook a (new) laptop into a new 4K TV to use as an external monitor. When I plug the HDMI cord in, Windows recognizes the 2nd monitor with all the settings but no signal shows up on the TV. I lowered the aspect ratio from the 4K TV in the adapter settings to...
  7. HDMI laptop to TV - No Signal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI laptop to TV - No Signal: I have a HP envy J140-na laptop. Specs: Core i5 4th gen, 8gb ram, Nvidia GeForce 840M 2gb graphics card, Intel HD 4600 onboard graphics,Windows 10 x64. I am trying to connect my laptop to a full hd HDTV, using HDMI cable, but the TV shows no signal, no picture or audio at...
  8. hdmi to tv

in Windows 10 Customization
    hdmi to tv: i cant see all of my screen it seem that it is streched both top and bottem cant see the bottem half of my task bare https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-to-tv/17330edf-3ace-49fa-8d45-1a831895338b
  9. No audio on HDMI PC to tv

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio on HDMI PC to tv: I do not understand nor do I know why my smart TV won't properly connect to my PC. My older tv works perfectly to my pc. The hdmi cable is new. I even tried a dvi cord and a display port cord, same issue. The smart TV and PC are both brand new so I don't understand why a...
  10. Audio via HDMI to TV

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio via HDMI to TV: My friend could switch off his LG TV and still listen tomusic from a video playing on his Acer Aspire E15 via HDMI on the TV before he updatedWindows 10 to Windows 10 Anniversary Update now he is unable to hear the musicfrom the video on the Acer Aspire E15 laptop on the TV...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop HDMI has.video but no.audio