Windows 10: Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week

Discus and support Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have updated Windows 10 to the most recent version in the past 72 hours and have encountered the problem of not being able to get my system to boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheLawnStink, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week

I have updated Windows 10 to the most recent version in the past 72 hours and have encountered the problem of not being able to get my system to boot in anything but safe mode or safe mode with networking.

My boot appears to start normally. The Asus logo is in the center of the screen and the spinning white circles appear underneath. This occurs for about 20 seconds, and then things start going wrong. The screen goes black for a few seconds and then the loading circles reappear, but not the Asus logo. This 'stage' of loading can take 5 or 10 minutes to change, and when it does, it gets worse. My computer finally transitions to a screen that looks like DOS saying:

Code: Phase 0 : Starting Watch Dog Initialization Phase 0 : Loading Config...(roots krnl, setup) Phase 0 : Pre initialization events Phase 0 : Creating Watch Dog dynamic key list. Phase 0 : subsystems initialization.[/quote] It never gets past this screen.

Knowing this had happened a month and a half prior, I attempted the solution that resolved the issue then. I used my installation of AVG antivirus Free Edition to run a safe mode scan. Last time I had this issue, AVG found a trojan horse, removed it, and then I was able to boot normally. This time, even the safe mode scan couldn't fix anything. Multiple non-system folders were locked (according to AVG's command line window), and although it found over 100 infections, it didn't fix any of them.

Reading online, I had found out that Windows 10 Updates and AVG products don't always get along, and so I got the AVG Removal tool and attempted to remove everything. Keep in mind, I couldn't attempt a normal uninstallation because I'm in safe mode. So I let the tool run its course and it removes Anti-virus and WebTuneUp. I restart my computer, attempting to run it without safe mode, but I still can't complete the boot. However, it's now hanging on the second step; the white loading circle without the Asus logo. It no longer goes to a black screen with command line-esque text. I attempt running the AVG Removal tool again, it says it hasn't gotten rid of WebTuneUp. I re-run the program to remove the remaining AVG software, and attempt to boot. It still hangs at the second step. I then go back into safe, run the removal tool once more, and WebTuneUp is still there despite the fact that I have now removed it and restarted three times.

At this point, I give up on trying to remove AVG stuff, and see if I can use msconfig to change my startup settings. I disabled all non-Microsoft services and disable all startup apps. While looking through my startup programs, I find a program called Avguirna. I right-click that so I can check where on the disk it's location, but to no avail. 'Open file location' is greyed-out in the context menu. I can't find any executable on the hard drive with that name. I disabled it and all other start up programs. Here is my list of startup stuff:

Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week [​IMG]

After disabling these and any non-microsoft services from running upon startup, I tried booting into normal mode. It hung at the same point as before I had disabled startup stuff. Next, I thought that I might attempt back everything up, and re-install Windows 10. Once everything had been backed up, I load the pre-boot start up options by pressing shift-f8 before Windows loads, and select "Reset My PC". It tells me it can't find any Administrators on my computer. I know for a fact I had an Administrator account set up, but I check regardless via Safe Mode. I confirm that I created an admin, restart, check if I can Reset the system now, and no. I try enabling the super administrator account, check again, at it still can't find an admin account. Finally, I create a whole new administrator, and it can't find that either.

I can't even use a restore point, because that too requires Windows 10 can see my Administrators from the boot recovery options. To clarify, I can see every account that is an admin listed as such if I have Windows booted up, but if it's pre-boot tools (like system restore, reset, refresh pc) we're talking about, it can't see my administrative accounts.

I decide yet again to try a completely different thing and see if I can create a bootable AVG USB stick. If it is a virus causing this, having the OS on my hard drive not loaded at all may help me scan those locked files. I go to AVG's website and download their LiveUSB package. I use a friend's PC and set up the stick. I go into my laptop's BIOS setup, and set my system to try boot from usb before the hard drive. I try booting this usb stick 3 times. I try boot with my external HDD and it works just fine. Unfortunately, my HDD's bootable media isn't the AVG usb system, so I get nowhere.

I literally have no idea what to do and I am in desperation to get my system functional again. Is there anything I can try to get any of the methods I attempted to work so that I can better work on solving this probrlem? Is there any methods that I haven't tried that I could try? For clarity's sake, I am trying to get my computer to boot fully without having to be run in safe mode.

Thanks guys. I don't have most of my specs, but I am working on getting them listed shortly.

:)

TheLawnStink, Oct 22, 2016

2. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION windows 10

Last week I had an update from Microsoft, for my laptop which had been upgraded from win 8 - 8.1 - 10 last year.

After the last update I had a problem with the Watchdog violation. The problem is I cannot get the laptop to boot up into normal Win 10 or safe mode to get the Windows Key for my laptop. Any ideas would be appreciated on how to solve this problem.

MartinWHill, Oct 22, 2016
  3. waynerice Win User
    What did update do? my email is in explorer!

After this last update to 1709, my email shows in MY LAPTOP explorer AND IF I CLICK IT BOOTS MY pc FROM MY LAPTOP!!!! eVEN IF IT IS COMPLETELY SHUT OFF!

WHAT IS GOING ON?

waynerice, Oct 22, 2016
  4. Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week

TheLawnStink,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you thought about uninstalling the Update, by using the Go back option within 10 days of installing?

Please check this info from Asus:
    Windows 10 Anniversary update- Can I go back to previous Windows after the update? | Official Support | ASUS Global
    Windows 10 - How to use go back | Official Support | ASUS Global

You could give it a whirl if you find the Go back option in Safe Mode by going to:
    Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go back to an earlier build

Also, you may want to talk to Asus support for options. They have a Live Chat:
    Official Support | ASUS USA

cottonball, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply

Apparently, it's too late to go back to a previous build. So what must have happened is my system must have updated over 10 days ago, but I only restarted it 3 days ago..... I realize doing so is not good, and you should restart the PC as soon as possible after it updates, but I simply haven't had much time to get on my machine over the last two weeks. Can I somehow use the windows.old directory? And yes, I will get on Asus Live Chat.

6. I am typing this message on my phone because I have determined it is the hard drive. I can't even load safe mode anymore.

EDIT: For obvious reasons, I can't use my computer right now to purchase and download a new copy of Windows 10. Does Microsoft allow you to download it on one machine and then install it on a different one, or is it tied to the machine you download from? At any rate, I'm getting a new hard drive today, or I will have to blow my savings and by a new laptop *Sad . Whether Microsoft allows for the downloading of Windows 10 and then installation of the copy on a separate machine decides that.

7. cottonball, Oct 22, 2016
  8. Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week

Just finished Live Chat with Asus and I asked how I could recover my system. I was told that I could purchase recover media from them. I go to the link the support person provided, and the company that provides the recovery usb sticks only ships to the US. I guess on the plus side, I have an Ubuntu 16.04 Live Session working and so I can kind of use my computer. However, I need Windows. Most software I use on a daily basis doesn't run on Linux.

9. cottonball, Oct 22, 2016
  10. cottonball, Oct 22, 2016
  11. Asus told me of one other option on the phone. I could have the Asus recovery stick shipped to a friend in the US and then they'd ship it to me. I have two friends in Ohio and a friend in Oregon. This is as long as the US Postal Service allows storage devices to be shipped out of the country. If so, I will use this option, and purchase a new hard drive. this will save me lots of $$

TheLawnStink, Oct 23, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    If you want to clean install Win 10 on a new drive in your existing machine, the only cost is your hard drive- you can download Win 10 freely. (I'm assuming the 'recovery stick' does the same job as your manufacturer's recovery partition)

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
  13. Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week

dalchina,

Had an Asus for which I got the recovery disks. It installed everything the laptop had when purchased.
    So, we can presume that will be the case for TLS.

I would recommend the Clean Install also. In fact, couldn't one go that route and find out the status of the HDD?
    If it is OK, the only expenditure would be time.

cottonball, Oct 23, 2016
  14. Where would I get the free Windows 10 recovery media that you two speak of? If that will fix the issue, enough for me to just have to get drivers, and purchase a new HDD, I'm all for it.

EDIT: nevermind. Mods, delete this reply. I forgot how to read at 1:30am Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week :p

TheLawnStink, Oct 23, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week [​IMG]

See
    Windows 10 ISO - Microsoft - the MS media creation tool

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
Thema:

Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week

1. Laptop incapable of completing boot after Windows Update last week - Similar Threads - Laptop incapable completing

2. two updates the last week of june

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    two updates the last week of june: My pc has to be logged in every time so I always know when I am inflicted with a update. I got one in the last week of june and my browser started crashing. At that time it was only crashing my browser. I was using the ccleaner browser so I then tried chrome and it was no...
  3. ALL files have disappeared from my laptop after Windows update last week

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ALL files have disappeared from my laptop after Windows update last week: tried to uninstall last update but it won't let me. tried to restore to last restore point but ' restoring files' just went on for 24 hrs so I guessed it was stuck so forced shutdown. Tried restarting several times to no effect. Getting a message saying my Onedrive is full if...
  4. Slow startup after updating last week

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow startup after updating last week: Hi everyone, Anyone else experiencing super slow startup on win10 x64 from the last update over a week ago or so? (I didn't update due to work schedule, but whatever the update was previous to last week). I've currently updated to the latest windows update and it seems a...
  5. SQL Server events after Windows update last week

SQL Server events after Windows update last week: I use SQL server 17.4 to run data for my businesses. Windows forced an update to my laptop last week, and since that update SQL Server will not run. Event log shows five requiring events: 17210, 17826, 17182 twice and 17190. I am unable to use my SQL Server to complete...
  6. Problems following Last week's update

Problems following Last week's update: I received an update notice from Microsoft through Windows last week. Following the update, settings for virtually all my applications were erased. For example, I have to reenter the setting for Outlook for every new session. No saved passwords for sites and applications are...
  7. Windows 10 update last week

Windows 10 update last week: After windows 10 update last week, my mouse won't work. Tried unplug and plug in, still no mouse https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-last-week/8836c79a-4c23-451e-91dd-ce49f0705a6c
  8. Last weeks Windows 10 update

Last weeks Windows 10 update: How do i disable WIN10 automatic update? Last week after the Tuesday update my computer stopped recognizing the scanner that I do a lot of work with. I did a system restore to the day before that and everything worked OK again. Also, how do I find out which update caused the...
  9. Laptop screen black after last weeks udpate

Laptop screen black after last weeks udpate: I loaded the last update last week, on an ASUS F554L laptop. After rebooting the laptop screen stopped working ?! - backlight is on - screen is black - the image that should be on it sometimes flickers but otherwise remains black -------------- I've tried to reboot the...
  10. BSOD after update last week

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after update last week: Hi all, Last week on shutting down I was prompted to install updates before shutting down as is normal. Did this but the next morning on booting got the dreaded BSOD. List of stopcodes generated after many attempts to boot up (in no particular order) *PFN LIST CORRUPT *IRQL...