Windows 10: Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi, have to restart to reconnect

Discus and support Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi, have to restart to reconnect in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For a few days now, my laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from the wifi. The wifi is fine -- it still works on other devices -- and is still available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lianachu, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Lianachu Win User

Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi, have to restart to reconnect

For a few days now, my laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from the wifi. The wifi is fine -- it still works on other devices -- and is still available with full bars but refuses to reconnect unless I restart my laptop, at which point it'll be connected and working fine again (until the the next time).

I've tried updating the wireless adapter drivers and turning off WiFi Sense but no dice.

:)

Lianachu, Oct 9, 2016

2. Chrome keeps freezing on Windows 10

Same problem here on my HP laptop. Disconnecting from wifi for10 sec helps, for a while.

Have no clue how to fix it other than disconnect from wifi and reconnect.

LouisaTabatabai, Oct 9, 2016
  3. Wifi disconnect and couldn't reconnect unless I restart

After I update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, wifi of my laptop would disconnect automatically in like a 15 min. and then I cannot reconnect before I restart. Is it some bugs of OS

Alexander 568, Oct 9, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/dl/65/

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset Ie Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)
    Click Go and post the result.

Please download the wireless test tool from

http://www.crewetown.co.uk/wireless.exe

Very important you right click and choose run as admin post results

Samuria, Oct 9, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    minitoolbox is not going to solve their issue. That is not what Farbar's tools are for. Their problem is dealing with either channel congestion or just a bad gateway that has a cheap wifi antenna and chipset amp in it.

bro67, Oct 9, 2016
  6. Lianachu Win User
    Update: Putting my laptop to sleep and waking it back up also causes it to automatically reconnect so I have no idea WTF is going on.

Lianachu, Oct 12, 2016
  7. Bob338 Win User
    Bob338, Oct 12, 2016
  8. Lianachu Win User

It's actually the opposite problem to that; the wifi will disconnect while I'm using the laptop and restarting it or putting it to sleep and waking it back up again will reconnect it.

Lianachu, Oct 12, 2016
  9. Bob338 Win User
    Exactly one of the problems I had. Just a suggestion. Do as you wish.

Bob338, Oct 12, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    That would be a S3 issue. The IRQ for that hardware is not getting told to wake up on time by the OS. Could just be that the your Gateway that you are connecting to is going into what is called "Green" mode when it does not get a ping alive back when the gateway sends out the Heartbeat to check for online networking gear.

Powercfg has the ability for you to run a Power Report to see if there are any issues showing up in it. Also the logs will show what is going on.

I would uninstall the hardware and driver for that device from the Device Manager properties for it and then set to not allow Windows to update the driver under System in the Control Panel. When you reboot the machine, use the driver from the computer manufacturer if it is a OEM computer. Sometimes the chipset manufacturer driver solves some issues that the OEM's have not coded into their version.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi, have to restart to reconnect - Similar Threads - Laptop keeps disconnecting

2. Computer disconnects from WiFi and won't reconnect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer disconnects from WiFi and won't reconnect: My computer started having issues late last year, and for a while it was ignorable but its gotten worse. It will only connect to WiFi immediately after restarting, but only stays connected for a few minutes. Then I run network testing and it says WiFi is turned off, but when...
  3. Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi: I have a new Laptop that have Wifi 6 adapter and disconnects from the wifi every 5-10 mins. Any resolutions ypu can provide? I already updated the wifi driver, uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter, Done Network reset, reboot and reset the router....
  4. Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi

Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi: I have a new Laptop that have Wifi 6 adapter and disconnects from the wifi every 5-10 mins. Any resolutions ypu can provide? I already updated the wifi driver, uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter, Done Network reset, reboot and reset the router....
  5. Wifi constantly disconnecting from laptop and I can't reconnect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi constantly disconnecting from laptop and I can't reconnect.: Every time I turn my laptop on, the Wifi works for anywhere between 5-20 minutes at once. At that point, it disconnects out of nowhere and I have to restart my laptop to get it to work again. It's been doing this for months, and I can't find a fix. This is the only device I...
  6. Wifi constantly disconnecting from laptop and I can't reconnect.

Wifi constantly disconnecting from laptop and I can't reconnect.: Every time I turn my laptop on, the Wifi works for anywhere between 5-20 minutes at once. At that point, it disconnects out of nowhere and I have to restart my laptop to get it to work again. It's been doing this for months, and I can't find a fix. This is the only device I...
  7. Laptop keeps disconnecting from WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop keeps disconnecting from WiFi: Yeah, self explanatory issue.My laptop will randomly disconnect from the Internet and remain disconnected for a few minutes at a time before reconnecting. During this time I can't manually reconnect it just tells me "Unable to connect", and sometimes my network list even...
  8. Laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from WIFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from WIFI: Just like the title says, sometimes like every hour my laptop randomly disconnects from the connection, it doesn’t happen in any other devices, what can i do? submitted by /u/AnnoyedSpy [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows keeps disconnecting wifi and refusing to reconnect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps disconnecting wifi and refusing to reconnect: Sometimes this takes a few hours to do, but just now it happened after a few minutes. My connection just disconnects, and when I try to reconnect, I'm told that I have to re-enter the password as some setting have changed. Nothing has changed and it requires a full restart in...
  10. wifi keeps dropping/disconnecting and reconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi keeps dropping/disconnecting and reconnecting randomly: the Wifi on my laptop keeps dropping to just one bar and i can't connect to the internet, and then return to normal after a few seconds. sometimes after dropping to one bar the wifi disconnected or it says "no internet access", and then reconnects itself again (but sometimes...