Windows 10: Laptop keeps rebooting before login screen appears

Discus and support Laptop keeps rebooting before login screen appears in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am helping a friend who has an 8 year old laptop: MSI model MS-1738. Dual core pentium processor and 4 GB memory. When I start up the computer I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tfor, Nov 17, 2017.

1. tfor Win User

Laptop keeps rebooting before login screen appears

I am helping a friend who has an 8 year old laptop: MSI model MS-1738. Dual core pentium processor and 4 GB memory.

When I start up the computer I see the windows logo and the circling dots for a few seconds. Next, somethings that looks like a black window with a white border flashes once on the screen, and finally i see for about a second a message "recovering (or repairing, message is in dutch) installation, and then again for a second "restoring previous version of Windows". Then the laptop reboots and the process repeats itself.

I have tried several ways to boot into safe mode, but didn't succeed. I booted with linux to see if I could find anything. There is more than enough free disk space. I do see a folder "Windows10Upgrade", so I wonder if I could do something there.

Reinstalling Windows 10 is an option, bit first I would like to know what happened here, and if it is possible to solve this without reinstallation.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

2. My Windows 10 default font has changed to symbols!

Reboot but don't login.

At the login screen, look for the power icon at the bottom right.

Hold Shift while you click it and choose restart. Keep holding Shift until the next screen appears.

Now you should be able to go to system restore and "go back a day" to before the problem started.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 17, 2017
  3. Biftip7T Win User
    before I can login to my laptop, a page appears asking me to update to Explorer 11. How do I stop it?

Thanks for trying your best to help me, but the info didn't prove to be helpful as regards the confounded "Install Explorer 11" screen. I was, however able to enable two Norton add-ons that were disabled for some reason. I've just got to say that the Windows
    7 I had on my old computer was a lot less complicated, user friendly, and there wasn't anything on it I couldn't disable, unlike Windows 10. I had to hire HP Smart friend to help me untangle the tangled web of Windows 10. I accidentally clicked "Solved my
    problem" but then couldn't go back and undo it,

Biftip7T, Nov 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try Startup Repair - boot from a Win 10 installation disk, click 'Repair your computer' and navigate thru the screens to Startup Repair.

Download Windows 10 ISO File Installation Upgrade Tutorials

burn to DVD if you have a DVD drive or
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

At this stage all you're trying to do is stop the boot loop.

Which version and build of Windows is installed?

(Booting to Safe Mode normally requires that you are able to at least reach a lock screen. However it is possible to configure a PC to boot to Safe Mode by booting from a boot disk and so to a command prompt, and using a bcdedit command)

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  5. tfor Win User
    Hello Dalchina,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I messed up completely, and now I have no choice but to do a clean install, so I will mark this thread as solved.

Thanks again for your help.

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, of course you will be able to retrieve any data you've not backed up before doing so.

You may also wish to check the disk before proceeding further.

In order to protect yourself, your PC and your data, and save yourself from having to do a clean install in many cases, we constantly recommend the routine use of disk imaging:

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

Laptop keeps rebooting before login screen appears [​IMG]
    Macrium automatically selects all the partitions comprising Windows if you select that option.

You can of course back up any combination of disks and partitions.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop keeps rebooting before login screen appears - Similar Threads - Laptop keeps rebooting

2. Login Screen WILL NOT appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Screen WILL NOT appear: My machine boots to display the time, with the Power, Accessibility and Internet buttons down in the corner........But I cannot get the screen to appear to allow me to type in my password.What changed? I was having issues with Windows Hello, so I did a fresh install while...
  3. Login Screen WILL NOT appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login Screen WILL NOT appear: My machine boots to display the time, with the Power, Accessibility and Internet buttons down in the corner........But I cannot get the screen to appear to allow me to type in my password.What changed? I was having issues with Windows Hello, so I did a fresh install while...
  4. Keyboard keeps appearing on login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keeps appearing on login screen: First off: This is not the usual On-Screen keyboard.I already checked the ease of access settings, it was disabled, and turning it on & off didn't change anything.A picture of what this keyboard looks like: taken from my phone because i couldn't screenshot the login...
  5. Keyboard keeps appearing on login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keeps appearing on login screen: First off: This is not the usual On-Screen keyboard.I already checked the ease of access settings, it was disabled, and turning it on & off didn't change anything.A picture of what this keyboard looks like: taken from my phone because i couldn't screenshot the login...
  6. Keyboard keeps appearing on login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. PC reboots in a cycle before windows login screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC reboots in a cycle before windows login screen: Recently for the past few days, I’ve been struggling with my windows 10. Every time I power on my PC, I’m met w the bios screen and then it starts running windows and I can see the logo. It’s working fine, and I see the spinning wheel with the windows logo, and after 3 spins,...
  8. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  9. Laptop black screen with cursor before login

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop black screen with cursor before login: Hi All, My laptop is running Windows 10 and I believe has tried to do an automatic update. I can now not get to the login screen as I just have black screen, although I can see the cursor. I have tried to boot in safe mode and have the same issue. I have tried to reset...
  10. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...