Windows 10: Laptop keeps waking up automatically after a few hours

Discus and support Laptop keeps waking up automatically after a few hours in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After putting my laptop to sleep, it always automatically wakes up after about 4 or 6 hours. ive checked all power settings and even all wake timers in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by asuss06, May 1, 2016.

1. asuss06 Win User

Laptop keeps waking up automatically after a few hours

After putting my laptop to sleep, it always automatically wakes up after about 4 or 6 hours. ive checked all power settings and even all wake timers in advanced settings have been fully disabled. This just started about a month ago and i havent changed any of the setting in a looooong time.
    what can i do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

:)

asuss06, May 1, 2016

2. Won't Wake Up

Right click command prompt, and run as administrator. Then type in the following command, which will disable hibernation mode:

powercfg /h off

This worked for me, but doesn't seem to work over a whole night. (i.e. 8 hours or so) But it absolutely keeps the device able to wake from sleep for many, many hours, which basically fixes the issue. For day to day use, when you have to put the computer down
    for a while and then come back to it within a few hours, it wakes right up now with this fix.

It's a good workaround until they fix the issue, which they must be working on, based on their response.

Again, if you leave the laptop asleep overnight, it doesn't wake up the next morning, but if you're just leaving it for a few hours, it will now wake from sleep if hibernation mode has been disabled in the way I described above. On my HP Envy 360, this has
    "fixed" the issue pretty much.

DavidC1965, May 1, 2016
  3. Laptop tries to wake from sleep while lid is closed.

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV53A with Windows 10 Home installed. When I close the lid, it goes to sleep normally for a few hours, but after a few hours it will start to get caught in a never ending "wake up loop" i.e. the laptop will try to wake itself up before quickly
    realizing that it can't because the lid is closed. The DVD drive will continuously start to spin up each time. This happens every two or three seconds. The sound of the DVD drive trying to spin up every three seconds is annoying and it also wastes battery.
    Normally, I have to hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the laptop after opening the lid again, but when it's in one of these wake up loops, it successfully wakes itself up upon opening the lid (evidence suggesting it's indeed trying to wake itself up.)

I've tried using the command line to see what devices are permitted to wake up the device, but none were listed. I've also disabled wake on LAN.

The only clue I've been able to find is an error in the system log that reads: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

However, I'm not sure this pertains to the specific issue I'm having.

TaylorPinkham, May 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 1, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Are you using a mouse ?
    By any chance in that one month period, you started to use a new wireless optical mouse ?
    Is there an OFF switch at the bottom of the mouse ? If yes, what if you turn the mouse off when computer is in sleep mode.
    Will that makes a difference ?

davidhk, May 1, 2016
  6. asuss06 Win User
    dalchina, i entered what you suggested at the command prompt and the response was "None". i will search the forum as you suggested. i think i might have found a direction to look in.

davidk, yes i am using a mouse but its the same mouse ive been using for 2 yrs and the mouse does not reactivate the computer from sleep like it has on previous laptops ive owned.

ill cruise around the forums for some similar problems.

asuss06, May 1, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I know you said it has nothing to do with the mouse. Just in case..............................
    Right click at Start > Control Panel > top right, click View by : > select either large or small > click Mouse > at the top, Hardware > Properties > bottom left, Change settings > at the top, Power Management > UN-check the box " Allow this device to wake the computer" > OK when done.

Laptop keeps waking up automatically after a few hours [​IMG]

davidhk, May 1, 2016
  8. asuss06 Win User

hey david,
    i actually just did that earlier this morning so ill see if thoughout the day that fixes the problem. i also just found about 13 viruses and cleaned them up so maybe even that had something to do with it. gonna give it a test today and see if things changes and if not, ill get back to you.
    thanks to you and everyone for their input.

asuss06, May 1, 2016
  9. asuss06 Win User
    unfortunately, nothing worked. i unchecked the box that was suggested to me (although my mouse never was able to wake up my laptop from sleep) and the few viruses i found and cleaned didnt effect anything. if there are any other suggestions id love to hear it, otherwise ill just do some searches and see what i come up with. if i find something that works, ill be sure to post it.

asuss06, May 2, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try this command:
    powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any
    This lists all devices with the potential capability to wake your device.

Now what puzzles me is your mouse has a power management tab yet can't wake your PC

You shuold be able to enable any device listed using

powercfg /deviceenablewake <name of device taken from list shown by previous command>

So use the name of your mouse if listed.

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  11. asuss06 Win User
    there were about a dozen things listed when i ran the command prompt you gave me. yes, the mouse was listed but i actually like how the mouse does NOT wake the computer. the mouse always woke my previous laptops with a click or a wiggle...but my cats would activate it as well all the time or even if i just bumped the desk!!! when i bought this laptop a little over a year ago, that all changed - probably b/c the box was automatically "unchecked" at the factory to enable my mouse to wake up the computer. why it was like that i dont know but i found that i liked it better.

asuss06, May 2, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Fortunately my cat is careful and quite polite!

powercfg /lastwake
    - will tell you what woke your PC..

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop keeps waking up automatically after a few hours - Similar Threads - Laptop keeps waking

2. pc cannot wake up after a few hours, can you help ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc cannot wake up after a few hours, can you help ?: it's a new pcwindows 10, i dont understand why is it, i tried to look into everything i could, i updated nvidia drivers, i updated bios, i checked keyboard and mouse that can wakeup pci looked into event viewer and i dont see any red lines therei have no idea why this is...
  3. pc cannot wake up after a few hours, can you help ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc cannot wake up after a few hours, can you help ?: it's a new pcwindows 10, i dont understand why is it, i tried to look into everything i could, i updated nvidia drivers, i updated bios, i checked keyboard and mouse that can wakeup pci looked into event viewer and i dont see any red lines therei have no idea why this is...
  4. pc cannot wake up after a few hours, can you help ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop keeps crashing after waking up from hibernation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps crashing after waking up from hibernation.: Hello guys. Ive been having this issue after installing a new ram stick into my system. I had 16gb single channel and I bought another one. Ever since installed the new ram in Ive been getting BSOD. I also installed an SSD in which I havent put anything besides one game. I've...
  6. Laptop keeps crashing after waking up from hibernation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop keeps crashing after waking up from hibernation.: Hello guys. Ive been having this issue after installing a new ram stick into my system. I had 16gb single channel and I bought another one. Ever since installed the new ram in Ive been getting BSOD. I also installed an SSD in which I havent put anything besides one game. I've...
  7. Laptop keeps crashing after waking up from hibernation.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Laptop keep restarting after waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop keep restarting after waking up from sleep: Hi, my laptop keeps restarting after I put it in sleep mode, is there anything I could do to solve this? I have tried disabled fast boot and still no luck. i have updated bios to lat latest version.after I checked on event viewer, this what appears to be the causing and I...
  9. After opening lid laptop wakes up for few seconds and back to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After opening lid laptop wakes up for few seconds and back to sleep: I did refresh my Windows 10 with the media creation tool. But no luck. All updates are there. When I close the lid of my laptop it goed in to hibernation / sleeping mode. I open the lid later and press the power buton to get my laptop back to life. It start up and screen...
  10. Desktop computer wakes up after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop computer wakes up after a few minutes: Not sure what is causing it. Not sure what other information you all would need apart from what I'm pasting below. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed NONE...