Windows 10: laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Discus and support laptop keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ticked, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Ticked Win User

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes.
    Solutions tried:

• rebooted
    • removed and replaced main battery
    • attached USB keyboard
    • hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
    • looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer
    Why I think this is a Windows issue:

• the computer recognizes when I hit the Enter key on startup
    • the USB keyboard doesn’t work
    • the keyboard touchpad doesn’t work, but the attached USB mouse DOES work

:)

Ticked, Aug 5, 2017

2. Acer laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response. I suggest you to go to the manufacturer website and install the latest keyboard and touchpad drivers and check if it helps.
    Also run System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any system files corruption in the system. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    For more information refer to this link:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Let us know how it goes, we'll be glad to assist you.

SujataMoktan, Aug 5, 2017
  3. 01iVi6 Win User
    Acer laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

There was only a driver for my touchpad and downloaded it, but it didn't change anything.

I also did the System File Checker and got this result:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

01iVi6, Aug 5, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

All Windows computers have an onscreen keyboard that can be accessed from the login screen (see Attached)
    You can also boot Windows by holding down the Windows key + the Space bar.
    Also, boot into Setup (Bios) look for Integrated Peripherals or System Configuration, look for USB and or Keyboard and if it Disabled, using your Enter and Arrow keys, Enable it.

spunk, Aug 5, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Since the touch pad and keyboard doesn't work but a USB mouse does you might need to get or borrow a USB keyboard. I've never been in favor of using a BIOS passwork, there's 2, one for starting the computer and the other for making changes to the BIOS.

As for removing the battery you also need to have the AC power unplugged at the same time. In a dire circumstance once could open up the Notebooks case and remove the onboard CMOS/BIOS battery for a few minutes that will take out the BIOS password but that also takes out any user settings. There may also be a CMOS-clear jumper on the motherboard.

Overall, what you describe is reminiscent to a group of Notebooks given to our church that came from a company network that did not first have the passwords removed, same process was needed on each.

Berton, Aug 5, 2017
  6. Ticked Win User
    I tried plugging the external keyboard in to different USB ports and found one that worked, so I'm able to log in and use the computer. But how do I get the laptop keyboard to work so I don't have to lug around an extra keyboard?

Ticked, Aug 6, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Did you try this?

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. laptop keyboard and touchpad not working - Similar Threads - laptop keyboard touchpad

2. Keyboard and Touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and Touchpad not working: HID compliant keyboard and touchpad drivers disappeared on surface book 2 running windows 10 pro. I tried updating drivers, then uninstalling and rebooting system and they never came back. Keyboard LED lights up, FN button lights up, detach button works. Touchpad and regular...
  3. Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working: Hey Guys,Since today morning, the onboard Input Devices keyboard and touchpad have stopped working on my MSI Stealth M15 A11UEKV. This happened unexpectedly upon booting the computer while plugged in after its battery had been completely drained. It seems to be some sort of...
  4. Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working: Hey Guys,Since today morning, the onboard Input Devices keyboard and touchpad have stopped working on my MSI Stealth M15 A11UEKV. This happened unexpectedly upon booting the computer while plugged in after its battery had been completely drained. It seems to be some sort of...
  5. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  6. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  7. Keyboard and Touchpad not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and Touchpad not working.: I am currently typing through on-screen keyboard, so please bear with me. Yesterday, two finger scroll didn't work so I searched for possible fixes. First method I tried suggested thst I uninstall the device, then reinstall i have tried this method with other device and it...
  8. Laptop PS/2 Keyboard and Touchpad not working

Laptop PS/2 Keyboard and Touchpad not working: A few days ago, while I was just surfing on firefox, I lost keyboard and touchpad functionality on my Lenovo Z575 Ideapad. Initially, I thought the computer froze so I shut it down hard way. When I restarted the laptop, I still had no keyboard or touchpad functionailty....
  9. Laptop Keyboard and TouchPad Only Work Sporadically

Laptop Keyboard and TouchPad Only Work Sporadically: Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4 1580 Keyboard & Touchpad/Cursor Not Activating ‎The keyboard and touchpad/cursor stop working...usually after having the laptop wake up from sleep mode. Rebooting doesn't work. It just seems to magically start working again eventually. It is not in...
  10. Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work

Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work: Ever since I've upgraded my dad's laptop to Windows 10, the keyboard and touchpad stop working randomly, and would work only after I restart the computer. (logging off, switch user, standby mode doesn't resolve it.) There is no pattern to it. Sometimes it would be ok for a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. touchpad not working when i lug mouse usb