Windows 10: Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network

Discus and support Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have 2 desktops and one laptop all running windows 10. I had to do a Windows reset on the laptop a few days ago after installing Malawarebytes 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by froggyrain, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network

We have 2 desktops and one laptop all running windows 10. I had to do a Windows reset on the laptop a few days ago after installing Malawarebytes 3 trial version. Since then, I haven’t been able to connect the laptop to either of the PC’s, or the PC’s to the laptop. The PC’s do connect to each other and there were no problems before the reset.

Nothing else has changed. I’ve read of many with the same problem except they could connect one way, but not the other. Everyone seems to have found a different solution. There are too many variables for me. I’ve always had this mental block about networking and never quite grasped the whole Homegroup thing, so I’m confused about what goes where.
    I have tried several things to no avail and have gathered info on all 3 devices below, however I haven’t been working with PC1, just the other 2 to try to figure this out. IP address are what I assume constitutes the same address: xxx.xxx.xxx.4, xxx.xxx.xxx.5, xxx.xxx.xxx.7). All matching except last digit. Router is completely different.

PC1 - husbands desktop named OWNER-HP, Win10 up to date
    PC2 – my desktop named GENA-PC, Win10 up to date, 4 users (Gena, Guest, Business, Backup), Windows sign on options – Microsoft password, PIN
    PC3 – laptop named LAPTOP, Win10 up to date, 4 users (Gena xxxx, Gordon, Presentation, test), Windows sign on options – local password, PIN (same as above PIN)

I’m working from GENA-PC user and Gena user, both admin accounts.
    When trying to connect to PC2 from the laptop I get the following screen:

Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network [​IMG]

When trying to connect from PC2 to the laptop I get:

Below is a screenshot of the Credentials Manager on PC2:

On the laptop there are no credentials entered. I tried entering credentials for PC2 following the protocol for the others from the above screenshot, but I still couldn’t connect from the laptop, so I deleted the entry I didn’t think to try from PC2 at that time. Also when I typed in those credentials, “Persistence” came up Enterprise vs Local Computer as on the others. I have no clue if that really means anything.

Under advanced sharing>Homegroup options I have “Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections” checked. Network discovery-automatic setup… are on, file and printers sharing is on.

Under All Networks I turned off password protected sharing on Laptop and PC2 but now see that even though I tell it to save changes, when I go back on PC2, that setting is back to ON. It remains OFF on the laptop.

From Laptop:

I don’t know if anything here matters?

SSID: Gordon
    Protocol: 802.11n
    Security type: WPA2-Personal
    Network band: 2.4 GHz
    Network channel: 6
    IPv4 address: xxx.xxx.xxx.4
    Manufacturer: Ralink Technology, Corp.
    Description: 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
    Driver version: 5.0.48.0
    Physical address (MAC): ‎1C-65-9D-1E-EE-2F

I just now found the below. It seems laptop is looking for a Workgroup, but PCs are on Homegroup? How would I change that, if that's the issue? First one is PC2, second one is Laptop

:)

froggyrain, Jan 30, 2017

2. Wi-fi no longer connects to my home network.

Hello CSD Surface Tester,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm glad that your problem has been solved.

You can find some informations about the Developer Preview Program on the link below.

Developer Preview

Please let us know if you have any other concerns!

Kind Regards,

Aurelia R., Jan 30, 2017
  3. Wi-fi no longer connects to my home network.

Hi Aurelia,

What a coincidence! at around 7:40 am this morning the electrical power in my home went off briefly (about 1-2 seconds) and came back on right afterwards, but it was enough to reset my router.

Sure enough, I tried connecting again and...

IT WORKED!

I got a bunch of notifications back on my phone. Not only that, but I later received notice of a
    "critical update" to my phone (8.10.14192.280) that, upon installation, I found out was part of the Dev Preview program - just want to know if you have any idea what is that supposed to bring to my phone?

Thanks for your time.

Surface Tester, Jan 30, 2017
  4. Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network

I found a bit more. The laptop is looking for an old network. I tried to add the current one, but it doesn't see it.

The first one is from the laptop, 2nd one from my PC2. I went to device manager and tried to update the wireless network adapter. It said it was up to date. I went to Dell and ran a check on my machine with this result: Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

All worked fine after installing Win10 last spring/summer. There was an update just before all this happened. Could that be it? If so, is there anything I can do to get connectivity back? I'm able to connect to the Internet, just not the home network. Not sure how all that differs.
    (Oh, I also realized none of the 3 computers are on a Homegroup.)

froggyrain, Jan 31, 2017
  5. Welcome to TenForums @foggyrain

Not really sure where to start with this but let's get a visual. In your first post one device can see, and even gets a challenge with name and password from other device. Unless you are doing something slick with an advance router you cannot be on two different networks, they way I see it.

However to be sure, how many wireless routers or access points do you have in your house? Some people need more than one access point to project their network presence throughout. Assuming you have one router, is is single band or dual band? Does it have a guest network and if so what have you called it.

and to rule out a router glitch, please power off your router, count to 20 and power on. Reboot devices and test.

Create a restore point before proceed.

Assuming router reset failed, let's concentrate on your laptop. First let's totally reset network on laptop. Click Start Menu => Settings => Network and Internet. Scroll down to bottom of right window and click "Reset Network". All wireless passwords will be lost. Connect to network and test.

Next, right click on your network icon in systray, click "Open Network and Sharing center", click on "Change Advance Sharing Settings". A window opens. It should be expanded and you should be in the "Private" section. Network discovery should be on, file and print sharing should be on, and in Homegroup you should select the lower option, use user accounts and passwords.

Warning - You said you don't use Homegroups, right? Next you know passwords to access accounts on other machine and you use passwords to log in. (Yes I sound crazy, helped one guy and this process turned on asking for passwords which he didn't like and was unsure of what they were.)

Run a test. You may also want to check how other machines are set under this homegroup category. I wouldn't make changes, just info gathering. When challenged as you connect to other machine, the user name is the account you want to sign on to on target machine and password is that account's login password.

If that fails we could enter these four commands Command Prompt(admin). Don't type in the stuff in brackets, its there to tell you what is does.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Reboot

If that fails, yes there was a cumulative update on January 10, 2017 along with a bunch of updates. The trouble could be within these updates or a driver may have been update. Now last week MS released another cumulative update and it was not pushed through the normal update process, likely as the world would have screamed. Now it has some stuff related to networks so lets install it just to be sure.

Please confirm your data is backed up and you have either boot media or a working process to install an Image you made. If you don't have, stop, post back. S%^t happens and you need to be ready. You make the decision to install not me.

This link will describe the update. You have to get and install manually, very simple. Right at the bottom of the article is a link to the download in the green information box. Click on the "Microsoft Update Catalog" link. When the page opens enter KB3216755 in search bar if it is not already showing. Click on download button, a window opens, click on link, download.

Cumulative Update KB3216755 Windows 10 RP ver 1607 build 14393.726

Once downloaded enter these two commands at a command prompt(admin) Don't key stuff in brackets
    net stop wuauserv (Stops the Windows Automated Update service)
    net stop bits (Stops the Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

Double click on the file you down loaded and the installation will begin. It will take time both to download and install. Once installed you must reboot.

Please post back results.

Caledon Ken, Jan 31, 2017
  6. @Caledon Ken
    I did everything down to making an image and applying the windows update except for going into Homegroups. My desktop says there are no Homegroups on the network. I had set one up a few years ago, but didn't do it right. Since then my brother set up our initial network and then we finally got off of dial-up and the ISP reset things (a couple of times). Ignore the image. I can't see where to remove it.

After I did all 4 commands as you laid out, and nothing, I just gave it one last try before finishing this reply and I realized that along the way (late yesterday) I had switched what I was typing in as a username to the name of the desktop, not the user account. And now success! I only have to figure out why I don't get full access to my husband's desktop (I did before). I have full access from my desktop to his, and full access from the laptop to my desktop. If I had been typing the right thing today, we might know just which of your suggestions did the trick, but at least they were easy things to do. Thank you!!!

Should I start a new thread about the access?

As a side note, I would ask my brother, but he now has to commute 2 hrs each way for work, so I don't bother him.

froggyrain, Jan 31, 2017
  7. Great, not sure what you mean, did everything up to homegroups.

You really need to go in "open Network and Sharing" and follow those directions. If you don't have homegroups, as I understand it you need to have it set to "Use Username and passwords. I may be misunderstanding problem.

If I understand correctly, what is not working it is your laptop to his desktop, that doesn't work. You can access laptop from his desktop?

Is this correct?

If I have this correct, do you have an account on your husband's machine? (Your own id to sign in with?)

Sure you could open another thread if you wish, if you feel the reason you opened this thread is closed.

Caledon Ken, Jan 31, 2017
  8. Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network

I did all the things you said before you talked about homegroups. The laptop can access his computer, but I only get the Public folder and one named "Migrated". I had access to all before. I won't be able to get on his computer until he is done working. I did have an account on his computer but removed it once we got high speed internet and I could use mine all the time. I've been accessing it all along with no problems until that reset. I have to leave now for a but will check the sharing settings on all when I get back. I will mark this as solved and go from there. If I have problems still, I'll open a new thread. Thank you again so much!!

froggyrain, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network

1. Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network - Similar Threads - Laptop longer connects

2. Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot: My Windows 10 Pro laptop is unable to connect to my home wifi network, despite connecting to school and hotspot networks. Other devices: laptops and my phone can all connect to my home network. I have tried a network reset, updating drivers, the troubleshooting program on...
  3. Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot: My Windows 10 Pro laptop is unable to connect to my home wifi network, despite connecting to school and hotspot networks. Other devices: laptops and my phone can all connect to my home network. I have tried a network reset, updating drivers, the troubleshooting program on...
  4. Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Laptop no longer connects to My Home Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop no longer connects to My Home Network: Hello, I have a laptop that is about 3 years old, pretty infrequently used. It worked fine when I first got it and now it cannot connect to my Spectrum router no matter what I try. All of my other devices are working fine, the laptop can connect to my phone via a hotspot with...
  6. Laptop no longer connects to My Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop no longer connects to My Home Network: Hello, I have a laptop that is about 3 years old, pretty infrequently used. It worked fine when I first got it and now it cannot connect to my Spectrum router no matter what I try. All of my other devices are working fine, the laptop can connect to my phone via a hotspot with...
  7. Laptop no longer connects to My Home Network

8. Computers no longer connect on home network Windows 10

Computers no longer connect on home network Windows 10: My computers no longer connect I have a small home network with a desktop (primary) computer and a laptop computer. Both use MS Windows 10 with the most current updates. Prior to the last couple of updates my two computers recognized each other and connect via the...
  9. Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.

Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.: Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect. My desktop is a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Broadband Internet Access. The computer has been formatted into two drives. My laptop is also a Dell...
  10. Computer Won't Connect to Any Network Other Than Home Network

Computer Won't Connect to Any Network Other Than Home Network: Hello. I have an HP Folio 13 laptop. It works well, and I rarely have problems with it. But recently, I've had trouble connecting to the internet. It connects to my home network perfectly. Absolutely no problems, works how it always has. But when I try to connect to...