Windows 10: laptop not responding after 3/2018 Windows 10 updates

Discus and support laptop not responding after 3/2018 Windows 10 updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Chrome won't load. It opens but just keeps showing "Loading ... ." When I click on Start/Settings, the Settings box opens but nothing in it. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Nikilet, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Nikilet Win User

laptop not responding after 3/2018 Windows 10 updates

Chrome won't load. It opens but just keeps showing "Loading ... ."
    When I click on Start/Settings, the Settings box opens but nothing in it.
    When I open Task Manager a blank gray window opens.

Just to name a few ...

Last night after 3 forced shutdowns and then restarting things started to function and everything worked fine the rest of the evening.

Tonight I booted up and there was a huge delay on the page where I type in my password. I didn't think it was going to open, but it finally did.

Then I started trying to work with the computer and the same stuff from last night was happening all over again.

Can anyone help?

:)

Nikilet, Mar 16, 2018

2. Error loop: Your computer is running low on resources, so no new users can sign in...

I had the same problem on feb 6, 2018.

I tried restarting my laptop for 3 times and on the third attempt I successfully logged in.

It happened after an update of my windows 10.

Upendar Bikkumalla, Mar 16, 2018
  3. Windows Update Error

Hi David,

Yes there were updates but it always fails during the update

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4033631)

Failed to install on 3/5/2018

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4049411)

Regards,

Anand

Anand_Sheth, Mar 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. First check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

2. Now check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | dotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. From an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the summary result.

If ok, check to see if any symptoms have changed.

4. If not, create a new user account (for test purposes) and compare your symptoms and report the result.

Do you use disk imaging as we constantly recommend? (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) )?

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Nikilet Win User
    I had a terrible time last night after posting here. I ended up having to force a shutdown 4 times, which I have read is not good for your computer. It got a little more reactive after each restart, but still not good. I thought for sure I was going to be down a computer. It was driving me nuts so when I woke up at 3 a.m. I booted it. It was very sluggish; from the time I submitted my password to the time my desktop was completely loaded up was over 4 minutes. First thing I did was try Chrome and it did load. So then I proceeded with sfc /scannow and it came back with no integrity errors found.

I clicked on a few other things to check and see if working and they were. As I said, sluggish, but operational. I opened Thunderbird and seen the answer from you.

I ran the HD Sentinel (trial) and it showed (see screenshot).

I use the free version of Macrium, but I don't know how reliable it is because I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. You can't even go to the forum and ask a question unless you have the paid version. And I have poured over the manual and directions many different times. I find it very hard to follow. I "think" I'm using it correctly but I can't be positive.

I'm going to close down and then start again later and see how things look before I run the chkdsk C: /F and I will get back to you with how things go.

Thank you very much for answering and providing this input. It sure helps!

Nikilet, Mar 16, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good report on your disk.

When idle, does your task manager show any significant activity? If so, post a screenshot.

My guess is that you'll be best to do an in-place upgrade repair install. Make sure you've at least, say, 20Gb free on C:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials

Macrium Reflect is reckoned by the many users here as the most robust solution. True, the free version precludes access to the forum (well they have to give you some incentive to pay- as well as some further features!), but as you know, there is extensive help- with the program, on the internet, provided by Macrium.

There are a couple of tutorials on this site on it, as well as a couple of videos. More videos on Youtube.

It's really not that complicated- expecially the free version- the big disadvantage is the clunky Geeky GUI (my opinion) esp. compared to, say, Aomei Backupper.

Powering off- rather than allowing a graceful shutdown- can put the disk at hazard- depends what it's writing. It also prevent settings being saved- registry being updated.

So yes, there's a possibility of corruption.

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  7. Nikilet Win User
    It doesn't appear that chkdsk C: /F found any problems. See attached.
    And yet there is a problem with Windows somewhere (drivers?) It took me 3 forced shutdowns and restarts tonight to get Chrome to open.

Thus in-place upgrade repair install that you talk about ... Does this mean I lose all my programs and everything and have to start over? *cry *Shock

I just found the instructions for stopping Windows Updates from installing mfgs. apps, which I think includes drivers. If I'm wrong please set me straight. Someone told me that laptops often don't like the drivers that WU wants to install. I wonder if that is the problem here.

Anyway, what is your opinion about uninstalling the latest updates and then installing them manually?

Nikilet, Mar 17, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

An in-place upgrade repair install keeps all programs and data and most settings (I usually say that in bold as most people then ask the question- I forgot this time) (it hopefully makes that clear in tutorial). You lose restore points; system restore is disabled, and your build number reverts to the base build of that major build, so a large update follows. Some registry entries are rest, services set to default. I.e. lots of possible things are fixed, but not user profile corruption.

Drivers for everything you need for your PC are handled by Windows. Only if there's a problem should you intervene.

no, not usually a problem.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Nikilet Win User
    Nikilet, Mar 17, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    It's quite easy. Download a Win 10 iso.
    Mount the iso (rt click, Mount by default).
    Run setup.exe

Or- create a bootable medium from the iso (USB drive or DVD)
    run setup.exe from that disk.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  11. Nikilet Win User
    Ok, I'll take another look at it. You've been so patient and such a help, but just for learning purposes, would you answer my question about uninstall the updates?

I'm beginning to wonder if Chrome isn't the biggest problem. I'm going to try doing a clean uninstall of Chrome and then reinstall and see what happens there. I will get back,

Nikilet, Mar 17, 2018
  12. dalchina New Member
    First, as before:
    When idle, does your task manager show any significant activity? If so, post a screenshot. (Processes, Performance tabs)

How much space do you have free on C:?

Please advise that first.

Second, forget issues about updates for now.

Suggest you make sure before attempting the in-place upgrade repair install you have access to the tutorial via another PC or as a printout.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  13. Nikilet Win User

592 GB free on C
    Here are a couple of screenshots of TM when idle taken on 2 different days.

Sorry, here is also a screenshot taken right now of performance with Thunderbird and this browser open.

By the way, I uninstalled Chrome and am using Firefox right now without a problem. I tried using Edge first, but it won't let me type in the address or search bar.
    laptop not responding after 3/2018 Windows 10 updates [​IMG]

Nikilet, Mar 17, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    That doesn't suggest any significant issues e.g. excessive page file use or some resource hog, but I'd expect CPU use when idle to be under 2%, say.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  15. Nikilet Win User
    If I don't have browser or anything else open it hoovers between 1- 4%.

-------------------------
    I've been in the process of reinstalling Chrome and things seem to be working fine. I wonder if all this wasn't somehow caused by Chrome, altho I didn't realize a browser would cause the OS functions to not work.

After uninstalling Chrome I tried to use Edge and I can not type in the address bar or search bar. I can copy and paste and click on links, but no typing. I did post a separate topic on this so I've already checked that I didn't accidentally put it into Tablet Mode.

I'm going to finish installing Chrome and then restart and see what happens and will get back here with the result.

Nikilet, Mar 17, 2018
Thema:

1. laptop not responding after 3/2018 Windows 10 updates - Similar Threads - laptop responding 2018

2. Windows not responding after updating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows not responding after updating: My system is having an issue of freezing everything after a particular update. I recently updated some of my drivers Dell Inspiron 7559 from the official dell website and I also had my windows updated, the updates were normal and everything seemed to be working fine at that...
  3. Windows 10 not responding after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not responding after update: I updated my windows last week and now i can not enter anything in the search bar. When i go to setting and pick category it tries to load it but then suddenly closes. I need help....
  4. After updating my Laptop with the newest version of windows 10, it work respond

After updating my Laptop with the newest version of windows 10, it work respond: I have a Alienware MX17 Laptop and after updating it, I now have a $2500.00 paper weight. I try and log in, and it freezes on the loading screen. I press CTRL/ALT/Delete and the hit cancel. It will now show my desktop, but now do anything. This is a joke, because now I...
  5. Windows 10 Stops Responding After Update

Windows 10 Stops Responding After Update: I just got the latest update of Windows 10, but it stops responding, which lasts for a random amount of time. My PC worked fine before I went to school. How can I fix the problem with Windows 10 not responding for a random amount of time?...
  6. October 2018 update (1809) Windows 10 fails on Surface 3

October 2018 update (1809) Windows 10 fails on Surface 3: Hi, I've tried the October 2018 update a couple of times on my Surface 3 (before and after it was paused), but it always reverts back to the 1803 version with the following message: We couldn't install Windows 10 We've set your PC back to the way it was right before...
  7. Windows 10 October 2018 Update problems after upgrade from Windows 10 April 2018 update

Windows 10 October 2018 Update problems after upgrade from Windows 10 April 2018 update: After upgrading the Windows 10 October 2018 update some problems occurred. In the Settings app, the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter is missing, I noticed this after getting a hardware error that is displayed in the reliability monitor. The task manager displays CPU usage...
  8. Windows 10 Update (3 Sept. 2018) killed my laptop.

Windows 10 Update (3 Sept. 2018) killed my laptop.: Prior to 3 September 2018 my laptop computer (Panasonic CF-30K) was running Windows 10 just fine. Then Windows updated automatically and a message on the screen said something like "Schedule Restart or Restart now" so I selected the "Restart Now" option and my computer began...
  9. Laptop Not Charging After July 2018 Cumulative Update

Laptop Not Charging After July 2018 Cumulative Update: Good day. I would like to ask why my laptop sometimes failed to charge after I installed the latest Windows 10 July Cumulative Update and I needed to restart my laptop to charge again. Is the update affecting my charging because the problem only occurred after I installed...
  10. Windows Update Jan 3/2018

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Jan 3/2018: January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192) I have manually downloaded the Feb cumulative update that "fixed" the issues with this Jan update. For several days, all was well, however this Jan update is still trying to install everyday and telling me to reboot because it...