Windows 10: Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade

Discus and support Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a new problem with my laptop which I had never had in the 3 years previously, whether it ran Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10. Usually, when I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by alexncfc, Nov 19, 2016.

1. alexncfc Win User

Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade

I have a new problem with my laptop which I had never had in the 3 years previously, whether it ran Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10.

Usually, when I go to bed at night I close my laptop screen and it goes into sleep. I then wake it up the next day without any issues.

But last week I upgraded my laptop's hard disk drive to an SSD and now if I close my laptop lid or put it into sleep mode, and then try and wake it the next day, it comes on, but nothing comes on the screen. I know it is on, as I can hear the fan whirring and also pressing the power button puts it back to sleep. But the display is completely blank. I then have no option but to hold the power button for 4 secs to power down the machine. Which is hardly ideal and means I lose anything I was doing when I closed the lid.

Oddly enough, if I put the laptop in sleep mode by closing the lid and then wake it a few minutes later, it does come on perfectly normally like before. The problem seems to be if the laptop has been in sleep for hours (i.e - overnight when I go to bed) and then when I press a key to wake it, it doesn't come back on.

Any ideas? Thanks

:)

alexncfc, Nov 19, 2016

2. Sleep mode resume

I have a brand new Dell Alienware laptop, and it takes an annoying long time to resume from sleep. I timed a boot up from complete shut down at 18 seconds give or take a couple, while resume from sleep was nearly two minutes.

I have an Intel Core I7 7700HQ 2.80GHz

16 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

256 GB SSD NVMe PC300 NVMe SK hy

1 TB HDD HGST HTS721010A9E630

Anyone have any clue why my resume from sleep times are so slow? I've tried disabling Fast Startup to no avail, disabling my antivirus but nothing seems to work. My BIOS is also up to date.

TylerAddison, Nov 19, 2016
  3. HDD won't spin down/sleep in Windows 10

I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem.

My HDD setup is as follows:

Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps

Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games

Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media

After configuring Windows 10 to sleep the media HDD (the seagate) after 5 mins of inactivity I noticed that it never actually does it, the HDD never goes to sleep, spins down.

That HDD only has media on it and no apps so there should be nothing accessing it.

How can I found out what is preventing the HDD from going to sleep?

sd_dracula, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

You could generate a sleep study report and post it here in code tags so we might be able to see what is happening.
    Go here for the tutorial: Sleep Study Report - Generate in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To post in code tags, select all of the report and copy it to clipboard, the click the hash(#) in the editor toolbar above
    Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade [​IMG]
    and then paste the report in the middle.

Cliff S, Nov 19, 2016
  5. alexncfc Win User
    Thanks for your fast reply Cliff.

Unfortunately, my laptop does not support S0 Low Power Idle state, and therefore I cannot run that tool.

alexncfc, Nov 19, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome.
    You might want to look at the different options offered in this thread: Solved Turn off/ Wake up problems - Windows 10 Forums

Cliff S, Nov 19, 2016
  7. alexncfc Win User
    Thanks again.

Unfortunately even after reading all that I can't find any way to solve this problem, I really don't get it. It's either linked to me now having an SSD, or the clean install of Windows 10 (I had previously had 10 installed after updating from Windows 8.1)

Before I took the old hard drive out with Windows 10 on, I backed up the Power Profiles on the machine, and I imported them on my current Windows 10 install to copy the settings exactly in the Balanced profile, but this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. There's nothing in the event log to suggest any problems when this happens. I also don't have any newer drivers to install for things like graphics. I am stumped on this one :-(

alexncfc, Nov 22, 2016
  8. Railtech Win User

Is your laptop an ASUS? If so enter the bios and set PLL Overvoltage to Disabled.

Railtech, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade - Similar Threads - Laptop resuming sleep

2. Upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD: I want to replace the slow HDD in my Dell refurb Latitude laptop with an SSD. Win 10 Pro product key is on sticker on bottom of computer. Do I just clone the HDD to SSD or do something else?...
  3. Please help with upgrading a laptop from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help with upgrading a laptop from HDD to SSD: Hello all, As per title please help if possible. I’ve not used windows aside from at work for over ten years. My partner’s grandfather has kindly gifted her a basic HP laptop. I have bought an 8Gb stick of ram which I have installed as it only had 4Gb before and from what we...
  4. Why is there no sound after resuming from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is there no sound after resuming from sleep: To add to my ever growing list of annoyances and gremlins, is as the title says. Absolutely no sound at all after the computer resumes from sleeping. I know that some people are going to nag me about old hardware, but cmon, i can understand video as it evolved to higher and...
  5. Dell laptop can't resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell laptop can't resume from sleep: Today I had to leave the house, so I opened the power menu from the Windows button, and selected the option for my Dell Inspiron i5577 laptop to "Sleep." I come back later, hit the power button to turn the laptop on, and lo and behold, the power button light turns on. There...
  6. upgrade from HDD to SSd

upgrade from HDD to SSd: HI, I have a Lenovo desktop with an AMD E1 processor and a conventional 500gb hard drive. I'm thinking about upgrading this hard drive to an SSD in order to improve performance. How much more responsive would the computer be?? Is it worth it to make this switch?? Thanks...
  7. Upgrade to SSD from HDD

Upgrade to SSD from HDD: I have old Sony Vaio AIO desktop that I want to replace the HDD with 256GB SSD. Current OS is latest version of Windows 10. Computer has Legacy bios and uses Std Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 . I understand that I need to change...
  8. replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade: replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade and activation If I clean install W10 to the new SSD, will Windows activate automatically..... thanks 45559
  9. Upgrade Samsung Laptop HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade Samsung Laptop HDD to SSD: Evening All, I would like to upgrade this ole Samsung Laptop, with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, but I'm not sure because of the iSSD P4 8GB (used for Express Cache). I know I won't need it anymore, but is there going to be conflicts/issues ? Specs: Operating System Windows...
  10. Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Not Waking from Sleep After SSD Upgrade: Hi there folks, Just upgraded my XPS 15 9530 with a new 850 EVO 1TB mSATA, was previously using a PM830 64GB mSATA drive. The laptop now no longer wakes from hibernation or sleep mode, whether hybrid sleep is enabled or disabled. I do know that the new SSD uses DevSlp,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the laptop does not resume when sleep is on

2. msi laptop not resuming from sleep

3. sleep udgrading ssd