Windows 10: Laptop only wakes up from sleep mode if I unplug the power cable

Discus and support Laptop only wakes up from sleep mode if I unplug the power cable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My HP laptop is running Win10 with all updates installed as of tonight (12/28/16). A couple weeks ago my laptop stopped waking up from sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by seanhite, Dec 28, 2016.

1. seanhite Win User

Laptop only wakes up from sleep mode if I unplug the power cable

Hi,

My HP laptop is running Win10 with all updates installed as of tonight (12/28/16). A couple weeks ago my laptop stopped waking up from sleep mode. By playing around with it for a few days I realized that the only way to get it to wake up from sleep is to unplug the power cord. When I do this, it immediately wakes up to the login screen.

No other software has been installed recently and I keep my laptop well maintained AV wise.

Any ideas as to why this happened and how to remedy the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Sean Hite

:)

seanhite, Dec 28, 2016
  2. MikeOhart Win User

Windows 10 Power and Sleep Problem

After no activity the laptop goes into the normal sleep mode, I can wake it up with the keyboard or mouse. But this only lasts for about 15 minutes after first going to sleep. It then goes into another mode where the keyboard and mouse get no response and
    the power key is the only option to wake it up. This would not be a problem but it sometimes takes up to one hundred presses of the power button to wake it up. Also I have to unplug the power adapter because it will go into a repetitive startup cycle that
    last for about five seconds each time. Is there a way to eliminate this deep sleep mode that disables the keyboard and mouse and refuses to wake normally?

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings )

MikeOhart, Dec 28, 2016
  3. Sleep mode issue Dell laptop.

I have a Dell 15-3552 running Insider build 17634. When I put it into sleep mode the AC power disconnects from battery and won't reconnect on waking computer till I unplug the AC from the charger and reconnect it. Unplugging the charger output from the
    computer doesn't restore charging mode only disconnecting AC power input. I had enabled hybrid sleep and set the laptop to wake from my wireless mouse but disabling that didn't fix the issue.

CharlesMickler, Dec 28, 2016
  4. Laptop only wakes up from sleep mode if I unplug the power cable

Welcome to the TenForums.

A couple of weeks ago updates were released, December 13th, the second Tuesday of the month. Other updates are release if required off this schedule but the second Tuesday is an always. I'm not sure that Windows updates are causing this or if driver updates may be influencing behavior.

First off I would reset or restore all and any power plans to default. Then reboot. See if behavior persists. If it clears, excellent.

If not your could try a system restore to a date around the 6th. If this fixes things excellent but updates will be re-installed. We could shut off driver updates.

If either process works please explore Macrium Reflect as an OS imager. It is free to home users, you can keep versions and it is a quick and reliable way to get back to a working system. (You also need your data backed up, which Macrium will include depending on your partitions and setup. If you just have C: then it will include everything.

Caledon Ken, Dec 28, 2016
Thema:

Laptop only wakes up from sleep mode if I unplug the power cable

1. Laptop only wakes up from sleep mode if I unplug the power cable - Similar Threads - Laptop wakes sleep

2. Laptop Sleep Mode Unplugged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Sleep Mode Unplugged: How can I make my laptop go to sleep automatically when unplugged, in less than 10 seconds? Any third party app or command will do. I am using HP Elitebook 8440p Notebook PC laptop on Windows 7....
  3. Wake up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake up from sleep mode: I am using a Dell Precision M4800 and the most recent W10 updates. For some time I have been interested in using the 'sleep' mode but have not used it yet. The reason being that I cannot find instructions anywhere on how to 'wake' the machine up when I wish to work again....
  4. waking up from sleep mode

waking up from sleep mode: I delayed installing latest updates until yesterday. After doing so it now takes about 30 seconds for screen to turn on after being in sleep mode. Took less than 5 sec. before. What is happening?. Not critical but there appears to be something wrong in latest updates. Are...
  5. waking up from sleep mode

waking up from sleep mode: I was playing game in my laptop around one hour after i put my laptop in sleep mode, my laptop has been having issues with waking up from sleep mode. I currently have an HP model number is 15-ac119TX and power button does absolutely nothing anymore, and the screen remains...
  6. Wake up from sleep mode

Wake up from sleep mode: Using a Acer desktop with the latest version of Windows 10. My monitor will not wake from the sleep mode. Montior is a HP w17e. Pc is set to sleep after 20 minutes and monitor is set to never sleep but goes to sleep when PC does. PC will wake just fine but monitor will...
  7. Wake from sleep only with power button

Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  8. waking up from sleep mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    waking up from sleep mode: how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waking-up-from-sleep-mode/b4ff1b9a-ea46-4a3a-975c-1d05f338aeae"
  9. Not wake up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Not wake up from sleep mode: My box does not wake up from "sleep" mode. I tried wake-up with keyboard and power button, but not worked. The psecs of my box is here; OS: windows 10 pro x64 CPU: i7-920 Motherboard: Asus P5X58D Premium Memory: G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 2G x 6 Graphics Card(s): Nvidia...
  10. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop: I check the bios, and there is nothing about using the keyboard to wake up the cpu from sleep. 94796