Windows 10: laptop or desktop PC?

Discus and support laptop or desktop PC? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to buy a new computer, which is mainly used at home, I will mostly likely let my computer powered for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tsw88, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

laptop or desktop PC?

I want to buy a new computer, which is mainly used at home, I will mostly likely let my computer powered for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and won't normally turn off. But I have a preference for laptop computer, then it is connected to DC power while the battery is taken away. I have an eye on a Dell laptop which is on sale here in my city. My only concern is-- if it's likely that it will ruin the laptop , cause damage to the hardware, or even burn it in a year or two, if I run the laptop like that?

:)

Tsw88, Aug 10, 2017

2. mobile device or laptop or desktop?

Hi,

What is considered a mobile device is typically a small computing device that can operate on the hand, has an operating system, and is capable of running mobile apps like a phone or tablet. Your notebook is considered a laptop. By the way, what apps are
    you planning to install? To learn more about the apps on Windows 10, check out this

link

Feel free to let us know should you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 10, 2017
  3. drisout33 Win User
    mobile device or laptop or desktop?

I have a notebook/laptop but I don't know if it can be considered a moble device..i mean its not a phone and some apps are for"moble" devices what do I have?

drisout33, Aug 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

laptop or desktop PC?

Some laptops last years, others fail within 1. They're harder and more expensive to repair, and upgrades are quite limited.

Powered? Do you mean sleeping, or shut down but power still applied to the adapter, for example?

dalchina, Aug 10, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    No it won't. These days the charging circuits in batteries let you leave them in - in fact often you can't even remove them. They will run down to 90% or whatever their engineers think is a suitable number and then charge up.

I have laptops I've not turned off for several years (I never shutdown or reboot anything except for software updates) but then as @dalchina says, you might get a lemon. Laptops also (on the whole) use less electricity than desktops.

Personally I more of a laptop person as I like portability (as far as my sofa at least) but honestly a desktop is better if you care about ergonomics and such things. It could certainly be the case be a desktop is better for your health.

Ask Jack: How can I use laptops and tablets without suffering from physical pains? | Technology | The Guardian

6. Tsw88 Win User
    d more expensive to repair, and upgrades are quite limited.

I don't know if it should be "sleep" or anything else but the reason I don't shut it down because I will almost always have some tasks for it when I am away from the laptop (for example, letting it download or upload many files, running a personal and simple server for myself etc...)

Is it OK for the hardware of the laptop computer if it's not shut down for long-term of time?? (7/24/365)
    will the risk of hardware failure of a laptop be large increased in that case?

Is today's laptop already well designed to run for 7/24/365?

Tsw88, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Tsw88 Win User
    A desktop better for my health?? in what way ? I don't understand ?? do you mean laptop's keyboard is usually worse so it's not good for my wrist?

In that case can I connect a USB keyboard to the laptop to minimize that problem??
    Thank you!!!

Tsw88, Aug 10, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

laptop or desktop PC?

One simple thought on lifetime- things tend to last longer if cooled well. Cooling is far more manageable and achievable in a desktop. Slim laptops don't and can't make cooling a priority. (Mine is a bit of an exception, being designed with a largely removable base and good vents, but it's not very slim). So it also depends how busy your machine is going to be.

Given the rate at which models change, predicting reliability can be really hard.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2017
  9. You aren't asking yourself the most important question. What will the computer be doing? Depending on your answer, a tower or laptop may be the better choice.

DeaconFrost, Aug 10, 2017
  10. hondacrv Win User
    get a desktop. it will allow you to be able to upgrade it as needed i.e ram and graphics and you can choose a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

hondacrv, Aug 10, 2017
  11. Tsw88 Win User
    i will only browse web, listening to music (with youtube or wmp), some documents work (most of time pure text and picture only). Basic photo editing work (i.e adding simple text or resize only ). Nothing else I can think of. I don't play games.

Tsw88, Aug 10, 2017
  12. A cheap laptop takes ~40W at load, ~20W average, so even if it would die within 2 years, it is still worth it.
    A hint, if you are looking at specs, pick a laptop with 65W adapter, it obviously needs less energy than 90W.

It is turning on/off, which damages electronics, so it should prolong its life, unless it is overheating.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

laptop or desktop PC?

1. laptop or desktop PC? - Similar Threads - laptop desktop

2. When I set up my desktop I had a typo in the email which now setting up my new laptop I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I set up my desktop I had a typo in the email which now setting up my new laptop I...: When I set up my desktop, I had a typo in the email which now setting up my new laptop I noticed instead of @icloud.com I have @icoud.com is there any way to get it fixed?I cannot verify my current email on my desktop as that is the one that has the typo....
  3. When I set up my desktop I had a typo in the email which now setting up my new laptop I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I set up my desktop I had a typo in the email which now setting up my new laptop I...: When I set up my desktop, I had a typo in the email which now setting up my new laptop I noticed instead of @icloud.com I have @icoud.com is there any way to get it fixed?I cannot verify my current email on my desktop as that is the one that has the typo....
  4. Hello we are Make in India manufacturers for Desktops , AIO's and laptops. Want to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hello we are Make in India manufacturers for Desktops , AIO's and laptops. Want to...: Hi we are manufacturing PC's , All in one computers , Laptops. we want to do factory pre loaded licensing of windows OS licenses in our manufactured pc's. How can i get the microsoft device license for OEM.* Changed to a question...
  5. No connection available on desktop pc - still works fine on laptop and consoles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No connection available on desktop pc - still works fine on laptop and consoles: So, I've had my desktop PC for about 4 years now, and I don't recall ever having this issue. Woke up today, turned on the fiberbox and router, booted up the PC, and the PC simply will not connect to the internet. Neither my ethernet cable connection nor my wifi can connect....
  6. Windows 11 desktop not detecting windows 10 laptop as a wireless display?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 desktop not detecting windows 10 laptop as a wireless display?: Would I have to update my laptop to Windows 11 or do I need some kind of adapter for the desktop PC to be able to connect wirelessly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-desktop-not-detecting-windows-10-laptop/ae4ebe97-f2a0-4f8a-90e1-cc2361bfcd33
  7. Windows 11 desktop not detecting windows 10 laptop as a wireless display?

Windows 11 desktop not detecting windows 10 laptop as a wireless display?: Would I have to update my laptop to Windows 11 or do I need some kind of adapter for the desktop PC to be able to connect wirelessly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-desktop-not-detecting-windows-10-laptop/ae4ebe97-f2a0-4f8a-90e1-cc2361bfcd33
  8. I need to use dual monitors from one laptop with a Remote Desktop Connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to use dual monitors from one laptop with a Remote Desktop Connection.: At work, I have two monitors with the extended display, where you can drag applications from one monitor to the other. I was told that when I remote in using the remote desktop connection that this won't be possible. To successfully work from home, I need a way to have my...
  9. I need to use dual monitors from one laptop with a Remote Desktop Connection.

I need to use dual monitors from one laptop with a Remote Desktop Connection.: At work, I have two monitors with the extended display, where you can drag applications from one monitor to the other. I was told that when I remote in using the remote desktop connection that this won't be possible. To successfully work from home, I need a way to have my...
  10. I need to use dual monitors from one laptop with a Remote Desktop Connection.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware