Windows 10: Laptop randomly stops working and then starts working again

Discus and support Laptop randomly stops working and then starts working again in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my laptop stops working suddenly and then randomly starts working after 15-20 days for about 2-3 months. This has happened to me 3 times now. No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shivenkapur, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Laptop randomly stops working and then starts working again

So my laptop stops working suddenly and then randomly starts working after 15-20 days for about 2-3 months. This has happened to me 3 times now. No lights come on in the system, I cannot enter BIOS mode, I tried to drain the residual battery and turn it on again it didn't work.The laptop has a non removable battery so can't really take that out. I took the laptop to the HP service center as well, they kept the laptop for a month and then told me that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the laptop. This is a very annoying issue. I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out.

PS: I'm currently in the stage where the laptop is not working

:)

shivenkapur, Aug 21, 2017
  2. chris_775 Win User

Laptop keyboard stops working randomly, then my computer cannot restart

To be more specific, the problem has happened twice. What happened both times were exactly the same:

I was playing a game, then suddenly, the keyboard stopped working. Even when I closed the game, the keyboard still would not function. However, my house would still work fine. Both times, I
    tried to restart my computer. What ended up happening was my computer getting frozen on the "Restarting..." screen. Then, I tried to manually turn off my computer with the power button, but that wouldn't work. My computer would just not respond it.
    In order to fix this problem, I had to remove my battery. I want to prevent this from happening again.

chris_775, Aug 21, 2017
  3. Laptop keyboard stops working randomly, then my computer cannot restart

Hi Chris,

Try the below methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Try Uninstalling and then reinstalling the keyboard drivers.

Follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

2. Expand the Keyboard.

3. Right-click the keyboard driver and click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer, let Windows detect the driver and install by itself.

Method 3:

If the issue still persists, install the latest keyboard driver in a compatibility mode and check if it works. Follow the steps below:

a. Download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

Once this is done, restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps. Do get back to us should you need further assistance.

Regards.

Armand Cos, Aug 21, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Laptop randomly stops working and then starts working again

This would be a very good time to go back to the HP service center and say "If there's absolutely nothing wrong, then how do you explain this?"

5. drpas Win User
    and also dont tell them it will / might work again after a month or they might keep it for that time *Devil

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    Yes very strange.. Definitely try to make it a priority of what Bree said and do what he said ASAP while the laptop is at this stage, before it starts working again.

pepanee, Aug 23, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    What were the steps that you made to enter the bios?

Power on and repetitively click the F2 key > what menu do you see?
    Power on and repetitively click the F10 key > what menu do you see?

Have you tried an in place upgrade repair with a windows 10 iso?

In case you cannot get into the bios have you tried or the HP service center used a HP UEFI USB drive?
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

Why use UEFI Diagnostics? | HP® Official Site

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

If you are able to enter the bios with either repetitively clicking F2 or F10 then run the UEFI diagnostic tests in extensive or loop until failure mode.

Bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

On HP computers repetitively click the F9 key then select external bootable drive to use the bootable windows 10 iso.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Please upgrade the specs on your computer:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs

How To Fill Out Your System Specs

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.

After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop randomly stops working and then starts working again

1. Laptop randomly stops working and then starts working again - Similar Threads - Laptop randomly stops

2. Random Keys Stop working and start working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Keys Stop working and start working.: my "five and six" keys along with my cntrl key stop working randomly. When one starts working again, they all start working again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my keyboard drivers. I have windows 11. Not sure how to proceed....
  3. Random Keys Stop working and start working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Keys Stop working and start working.: my "five and six" keys along with my cntrl key stop working randomly. When one starts working again, they all start working again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my keyboard drivers. I have windows 11. Not sure how to proceed....
  4. Alt + tab, windows button randomly stops working and then starts working again after some...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt + tab, windows button randomly stops working and then starts working again after some...: Like the title my alt+tab, windows button and other shortcuts will randomly stop working and then after some minutes it will all appear like its lagging, then it will work for a while and just repeat. I am on Windows 10 ver 21H2...
  5. Alt + tab, windows button randomly stops working and then starts working again after some...

Alt + tab, windows button randomly stops working and then starts working again after some...: Like the title my alt+tab, windows button and other shortcuts will randomly stop working and then after some minutes it will all appear like its lagging, then it will work for a while and just repeat. I am on Windows 10 ver 21H2...
  6. Alt + tab, windows button randomly stops working and then starts working again after some...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Notifications randomly stop and start again

Notifications randomly stop and start again: Ocassionally, like 5-10 times a week all notifications will stop working. Which is a huge problem for things like missing slack and calendar notifications. Interestingly, the sounds of the alerts work, but not the visual notification in the lower portion of the screen. After...
  8. Keyboard keys randomly stop working and starts working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard keys randomly stop working and starts working: Currently on my 6 year old Dell Inspiron r15, my Tab, Caps lock and left shift are no longer working I believe I've already made a post asking for fixes but It didn't really matter that much anymore. However now the X key is having problems and will die out at random times,...
  9. Keyboard and mouse stop working then start again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and mouse stop working then start again: recently i was working on my computer when my keyboard and mouse both stopped working i tried restarting the desktop several times after it completely rebooted i got them back the mouse as i write this is stable and not stopping or disappearing but the keyboard will stop from...
  10. Laptop randomly stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop randomly stopped working: Hello people of Reddit. So I was using my laptop as I normally would. Then just out of nowhere the screen just went black. So I tried closing it and opening it but nothing. So I held the power button to turn it off because the lights indicated it was still on. So I turned it...