Windows 10: Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update

Discus and support Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I truly DESPISE Windows 10 updates..... My wife, on her Toshiba Qosmio laptop, running Win 10 Home, which has been running PERFECTLY FINE for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GracieAllen, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update

I truly DESPISE Windows 10 updates.....

My wife, on her Toshiba Qosmio laptop, running Win 10 Home, which has been running PERFECTLY FINE for months, GOT some kind of update early today. I haven't seen it so I'm not sure what it was, but it was "something with a number"...

Since it wanted her to let it update, she did.

Since then, ANY time she closes the lid, when she reopens it, the screen is blank gray. Mouse moves but there's NO display... I thought MAYBE it was some incredibly stupid new thing being done when it sleeps, so I went into the power settings and changed EVERYTHING to NEVER SLEEP. EVERYTHING.

Close the lid, open the lid, blank screen.

I have to reboot the thing every time she closes the lid.

Again - it has worked PERFECTLY for months. Update. NO MORE WORK. What do NOW?

:)

GracieAllen, Apr 13, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Thanks for the thought, but nope... I went in, turned off Fast start. Turned off hibernate. Turned off sleep. Turned every EVERYTHING I can think of......

BUT, if you close the lid and open it, even after a couple seconds, you get the empty screen. It's not a BSOD, or even a BLACK screen, it's just blank - it's the sort-of black you get during part of the boot... The MOUSE is still there, you can move it around, click on the nothing, but there's no display........

My wife says it was the "Creator" update? I haven't seen it on my desktop yet, but apparently it attacked her laptop yesterday. And WHATEVER it did, it's causing me a LOT OF GRIEF 'cause she keeps having to shut down the whole laptop every time she walks away and closes the lid....... And at LEAST every third time, she TELLS ME she's still having to do it...

What the hell did Microsoft do THIS time? Somebody, anybody?

GracieAllen, Apr 14, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update

Brink, Apr 14, 2017
  5. Awesome idea. Unfortunately, this laptop is a couple years old and uses an NVIDIA 360M processor and the 381.78 hotfix won't install.

It already has the most current drivers for this controller, which as far as I know is 342.01, so I believe it's current.

Still get a blank screen any time I close the lid. Mouse there, screen blank.

I figure this HAS to be something obvious but I"m not seeing it...

GracieAllen, Apr 14, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Or try setting it to "Do Nothing". It's what I have mine set to, I don't use sleep or hibernate.

alphanumeric, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update

Unfortunately, everything on this thing is already set to do nothing. I just rechecked to be sure I didn't miss anything, and made sure - no sleeping, no hybernating, no shutting off the display no nothin'...........

SO, both of us being out of patience, I grabbed the Windows 10 CD I created when they started offering W10 in 2015 and told it to blow everything away (there wasn't much additional software installed on here), format the partition and install...

Which MAY work fine though I got the activation screen, tried the original Windows 7 code, which it rejected, tried the Windows 8.1 code, which it ALSO rejected, and finally hit "Skip" because there WAS NO "I don't have a product key" at the bottom...

SO, it's installing but I have NO idea what kind of hissy fit it'll have trying to activate the copy of Windows 10 Home that's been running on this laptop for almost 2 years..... I checked the Internet, but found a lot of wildly contrary information about needing/not needing product key, automatically activating the first time it hits the Internet since it was working before, and SO ON... Since I'm committed now to doing the install, can anybody tell me how to make SURE this thing is going to work without a lot of BS 'cause I do NOT want to go through another week of dealing with an annoyed domestic associate?

GracieAllen, Apr 18, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 18, 2017
  10. You probably should have downloaded and run the latest Media Creation Tool. That would have gotten you the CU 1703 build. What you installed was an old build that will prompt you to upgrade to the CU. That's why you saw "Skip" instead of "I don't have one".

alphanumeric, Apr 18, 2017
  11. I've generally refrained from creating a microsoft account. I get enough garbage on a daily basis without adding MS to the horde... If I HAVE to do it I can, but I'd much prefer to have this thing activate without it.

GracieAllen, Apr 19, 2017
  12. They don't spam you , at least they don't spam me. Actually , its kind of helpful and convenient.

indianacarnie, Apr 19, 2017
  13. Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update

No spam here either. I get e-mails, but only because I asked for them as an MVP. Microsoft is one of the few companies out there that doesn't send you unsolicited e-mails.

alphanumeric, Apr 19, 2017
  14. Win10Pro Win User
    Since you are using Win 10 Pro as a last resort I would suggest to see the power management settings in gpedit (I hope you know how to get to it):

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management > Button Settings

Win10Pro, Apr 19, 2017
  15. Thanks for the replies. Mayhap I'll go ahead and set up an MS account for her.

I'm not using Win 10 Pro on this laptop, but Win 10 DID install, activate, run a HERD of updates, and APPEARS to still be working fine... Not crashing, no blank screens, no weirdness. I've gotten rid of just about all the bloatware, apps, trial stuff, and other annoying stupidity, and installed the software my wife customarily uses.

Now I'll see if I can get this thing tuned so it runs as well as possible and see how it goes when I give it back to her... Although, I have to admit, my wife is somewhat of a Typhoid Mary of technology. I can have a computer sitting here, being used for a month. Work perfectly, no flakiness at all. Give it back to her and within 24 hours it'll have completely composted!!!!!!!

GracieAllen, Apr 20, 2017
Thema:

Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update

1. Laptop screen blank after closing cover - !@#$%^(*&^ update - Similar Threads - Laptop screen blank

2. Laptop screen is black after closing it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen is black after closing it: Every time I close my laptop without putting it to sleep first, or if it is left alone for too long either way, the screen is black but the light and fan are on. I then have to restart it for it to work again. I have a brand new SGIN laptop on windows 11. I first noticed this...
  3. Closing the laptop cover and occasionally not putting it to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Closing the laptop cover and occasionally not putting it to sleep: Hello,Description of the problem - occasionally, after closing the laptop cover, the computer does not go to sleep. Question - how is it possible to log the opening and closing of the laptop cover and checking whether or not it has been put to sleep? Or where is it possible...
  4. Closing the laptop cover and occasionally not putting it to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the laptop cover and occasionally not putting it to sleep: Hello,Description of the problem - occasionally, after closing the laptop cover, the computer does not go to sleep. Question - how is it possible to log the opening and closing of the laptop cover and checking whether or not it has been put to sleep? Or where is it possible...
  5. Closing the laptop cover and occasionally not putting it to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Blank screen after closing a game no crash, no bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blank screen after closing a game no crash, no bsod: Hello Community! I have a tiny little but rather annoying problem: Everytime i close a game didnt test it with others, but its "Noita" and "Apex" after about 10 seconds after i get to the desktop, both my monitors just show one colour both different colours if thats...
  7. Laptop Blank Screen after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Blank Screen after Windows Update: Hi, I have a HP Notebook 15-ba065sa 8GB RAM with 1TB. It was working fine until it auto updated with the latest windows updates and since does not boot up. It just shows a blank screen. Sometimes it shows the HP screen just loading and then blank. Any idea how to fix please?...
  8. Blank screen after update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blank screen after update.: [IMG] Help! My computer will not even let me log in...I hit okay and now it is on a blank screen. Before this I could not access any files on my computer. What is going on? :(...
  9. Laptop has blank screen after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop has blank screen after update: after update to my laptop, not this computer, and restart computer, got a black screen, all the icons are gone on the desktop, .and showing...C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop file is unavailable .......
  10. blank screens after update.

in Windows 10 Customization
    blank screens after update.: after the last windows update i can no longer see some windows. the problem windows appears as a bank white canvas. This was happening with Visual studio but i was able to fix with making some aplication adjustments but it happens with general windows like the VSIX installer....