Windows 10: Laptop screen turns completely off when idle, forces me to restart.

Discus and support Laptop screen turns completely off when idle, forces me to restart. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; These forums are my last hope for resolving this. I am well aware of the power options and familiar with settings - all of the applicable settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PloKoon, Jul 30, 2017.

1. PloKoon Win User

Laptop screen turns completely off when idle, forces me to restart.

These forums are my last hope for resolving this. I am well aware of the power options and familiar with settings - all of the applicable settings, including screen dimming, hard drive time before turning off, and the rest are all tuned to NOT turn off. I found out that the 'never' setting doesn't work for most of them, so most are set to 4 hours or more.

My issue is that I like to go AFK and in that time I lock my screen or just leave it as is. When I come back, say after 10-20 minutes, the screen is utterly black but the laptop is still "on". By that I mean the backlit keyboard is lit and the power button is lit, and I hear the laptop running. Interestingly my external mouse and keyboard turn completely off, as if the computer is asleep. But it should not be.

I have exhausted all avenues and googled to the ends of the earth. I have all but given up on finding a fix for this. I can't even leave my computer idle without a crash. I have to hard restart to get back, and then it's 5 minutes of waiting and reopening everything. Please help me.

:)

PloKoon, Jul 30, 2017
  2. DJB1966 Win User

Windows 10 November update causing issues with Toshiba Laptop

Since updating my Toshiba laptop with windows 10 winter service pack my laptop will not turn off, or restart completely, what happens now when I try to reboot, or shutdown my laptop 1. It exits windows and apparently turns off (black screen) then The power
    lights still stay on and my computer apparently doesn't shutdown all the way. I have tried everything I know of, and looked all over the internet for possible solutions with nothing, and being that they force these updates on you and don't let you uninstall
    that update I'm forced to reinstall, just to experience the same thing all lover again when it forces me to add that what I call a service pack. Any help please to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

DJB1966, Jul 30, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Computer turns on but doesnt kick in since windows 10 upgrade

I turned on enable fast startup which although is ony supposed to affect a cold boot (turning off then on again) it does appear to me that it improved restarting the computer.

I had this feature off & had the black/grey screen & it took 2-3 minutes to boot, turned it on & it was back to 30 seconds (from off), turned it off again & restarted, it became stuck on the black/grey screen on starting so had to manually force the laptop
    to turn off, when it had restarted I immediately turned fast startup back on.

Time Lady, Jul 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is a bit of a random thought... and granted you say 'the laptop is still on'. Nonetheless, try disabling hibernate (= delete hyberfil.sys).
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    That should at least eliminate the chance it's hibernating- or attempting to.
    (Noted your specs say desktop, but you're referring to a laptop)

You can try (from an admin command prompt)
    powercfg /SYSTEMSLEEPDIAGNOSTICS
    to see if anything you see is related to sleep.

- seems to indicate it's nothing to do with the screensaver.

What sort of PC is it? Could you add to your specs?
    Are you using a USB wired or wireless mouse and keyboard?
    When it's non-responsive, does the touchpad do anything?

dalchina, Jul 30, 2017
  5. PloKoon Win User
    Here are the sleep diagnostics: file:///C:/Windows/System32/system-sleep-diagnostics.html If you can interpret this better than I can that would be much appreciated. From my first glance every session says "sleep state entered" when the computer should NOT be sleeping. It's like some hidden setting is ticked. I am confident sleep is disabled everywhere.

Nope, the touchpad, USB mouse, and USB keyboard all fail to do anything. Clicking, typing, nothing wakes the computer. It's like it's broken. The laptop in question is an XPS 15z I use, i7-2640m, 6GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm hard drive and GT 525M.

PloKoon, Jul 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 30, 2017
  7. PloKoon Win User
    I can't thank you enough for these links. I really do believe the issue was the screensaver set to Blank after 1 minute, and somehow that triggers the problem. Now it's set to (none) and with any luck this solves it. I am going to test it tonight to see if it shuts down when idle and will report back.

PloKoon, Jul 30, 2017
  8. Try3 Win User

Plokoon,

When a problem such as this is triggered by a display event [such as the screensaver kicking in], it is possible that the problem is caused by the display driver being corrupted or not compatible with the latest Windows update. Try going to the computer / display card maker's website and installing the latest version [just using Device manage to check for an updated driver would not have the same effect because it has no means of knowing if the installed driver is corrupt or not].

Denis

9. PloKoon Win User
    So I tried both of dalchina's linked solutions - no dice. The same thing happened again when I went idle. As a result I tried your solution, Try3. I have been running an older driver for GPU since the newest drivers were causing conflicts with games. Just now I caught my laptop after the screen went off and I was able to wake it, so I don't know if it was going to enter the bug or not.

PloKoon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop screen turns completely off when idle, forces me to restart. - Similar Threads - Laptop screen turns

2. Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.: I set to turn off the screen of my laptop after 5 mins, but after turning off the screen my laptop just won't turn on for a bit of time and restarts. I looked in event viewer and got this event:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000019c...
  3. Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turns off the screen and restarts.: I set to turn off the screen of my laptop after 5 mins, but after turning off the screen my laptop just won't turn on for a bit of time and restarts. I looked in event viewer and got this event:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000019c...
  4. Is my laptop turned off completely ?

Is my laptop turned off completely ?: I recently stumbled upon this post about the screen time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-screen-on-time-is-24-hours/bb7c5799-8abb-4c2e-9779-ffcc29254beaI usually use my laptop for around 3-4 hours daily and was wondering why it shows the battery...
  5. Screen never turns off when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen never turns off when idle: Hello,I have a problem where my desktop computer's screens will not turn off after idling for the configured amount of minutes. I've checked to see if there was any application at all preventing the screens from turning off, but it doesn't seem like there is ever anything.PS...
  6. Screen never turns off when idle

Screen never turns off when idle: Hello,I have a problem where my desktop computer's screens will not turn off after idling for the configured amount of minutes. I've checked to see if there was any application at all preventing the screens from turning off, but it doesn't seem like there is ever anything.PS...
  7. Screen freezes and forces me to restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen freezes and forces me to restart: I'm not to sure why it freezes. The PC has quite regularly done this, ever since I got it and mostly while playing games. I made sure all the drivers were up to date with DriverEasy, but it still manages to freeze. Is there something I missed? Reliability history and event...
  8. ¿how to force windows restart when gpu_use is in idle or...?

in Windows 10 Support
    ¿how to force windows restart when gpu_use is in idle or...?: Hi, first of all, sorry for my English. During last week, in my pc I have been trying to learn how to mine etherum. My problem is that mining is based in gpu, and sometimes, randomly the gpu stops mining. I have been thinking in create a programmed task to restart windows,...
  9. Restart when Turning off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restart when Turning off: Hey y’all , idk nothing sadly about it but it’s happen to me a lot . I just press shutdown and it’s just restarting without saying anything. Now I only want to know why . My friend and I use the same settings and power option but it’s just for me and it’s Randomly which mean...
  10. Screen never turns off when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen never turns off when idle: I've just upgraded my win 7 installation to win 10. The power and sleep setting was carried over, turn off screen after 5 minutes, but the monitors stay on forever. I checked the network adapters in the device manager (BT personal area network, BT RFCOMM, Realtek PCIe GBE...