Windows 10: Laptop Shuts Straight Off During Windows 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Laptop Shuts Straight Off During Windows 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey Guys, i have a lenovo e425 laptop that recently received the windows 10 upgrade from microsoft. i am currently running windows 8.1 Pro and when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Josiah, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Josiah Win User

Laptop Shuts Straight Off During Windows 10 Upgrade

Hey Guys,
    i have a lenovo e425 laptop that recently received the windows 10 upgrade from microsoft. i am currently running windows 8.1 Pro and when i started the upgrade to windows 10, everytime it reaches the 30% part where it finishes the copying files part, and it restarts, my computer shuts down completely like *poof*
    When I put my computer back on, and it says attempting to recover installation, it shuts down AGAIN like *poof* Then when I restart it again, it just goes back to "restoring previous windows" and it restarts then my computer shuts off again like *poof* Then when i put it back on, it comes on normally, and says failed to install windows 10.

Help Anyone!
    Thank You

:)

Josiah, Aug 1, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Failure - Laptop abruptly shuts down

Update:

Issue of shutting down during update not resolved but I could install win 10, finally ! The 7th time.

This thread here helped: Laptop Shuts Straight Off During Windows 10 Upgrade Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

I didn't do exactly what this guy did but I did keep my laptop directly below the AC. Somehow this helped.

I had never noticed overheating during previous 5-6 attempts.

Now am fighting to resolve the issue with much less internet speeds.

Deep Bandivadekar, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Windows 10 broke my computer

I accepted the upgrade to Windows 10 and 2 hours later during my upgrade my laptop shut off. It will not boot up. I'm a student and I really need my computer. Microsoft should fix or replace my laptop.

TeshuraIsrael, Aug 1, 2015
  4. buffdave Win User

Hey Josiah, sorry I can't help, but I signed up to say the same thing is happening to me.

Computer shut off this morning during update and then repeatedly while trying to reboot - I don't know if it's going to be able to restore to a working version of 8.1.

This is like the 6th time I've tried to update now. Previously I was getting the error 3000D when it restored Windows 8.1. I have HP DV6 1329tx laptop.

One thing I'm going to try tonight is taking out the battery and trying to keep the laptop cool - very unlikely, but I wonder if there's something particular about the update process that's making it overheat and shut off?

Anyone else with suggestions, please help us!

buffdave, Aug 2, 2015
  5. How old is the laptop and how clean is it inside?

I'll bet a pound to a penny that the CPU is shutting itself off because it's too hot.

teachermark, Aug 2, 2015
  6. buffdave Win User
    Yes you're probably right teachermark. Mine is a good 5 years or so old and has accumulated a fair bit of debris.
    It is strange that day to day use never causes a problem, only the upgrade process triggers the shut down - but there you go.
    I'll focus on cleaning, airflow and report back.

buffdave, Aug 2, 2015
  7. http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

You might try running this app and studying your CPU temperatures.

Laptop Shuts Straight Off During Windows 10 Upgrade [​IMG]

Look at the tiny red thermometers for the temperature readings.
    Try playing a graphics intensive game for a few minutes and see how the temperature rises.

If the temperatures are normal then fine.
    At least this way you can eliminate this as the cause of your upgrade failures.

teachermark, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Josiah Win User

i dont believe its the heat, i have a laptop btw, why would the upgrade shut off my PC at the SAME EXACT spot during the upgrade EVERYTIME

Then again it could be the heat because my laptop is about 4-5 years old as well....so idk...and yeah the PC does get pretty hot...does the taking out the battery thing work?

Josiah, Aug 3, 2015
  9. I'm having the same problem and my laptop is pretty new. Every time it gets to about 30% it shuts down. About when the file copy completes. I have tried several times and don't know what to do next.

Jiggawatt87, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Dano Win User
    I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. At the point that 10 is installing and tells me to relax my laptop shuts down. When I start it back I receive the message that my previous operating system is being restored. I quit trying to load 10 after the 3rd time that happened.

11. crans21 Win User
    Same problem here. I suspected it was an overheating problem because the fan in my laptop seems to be kicked up a notch as soon as it hits around 25%. After the 3rd try I just decided to quit the upgrade all together and wait for a solution.

crans21, Aug 3, 2015
  12. Josiah Win User
    Guys u all basically stated down my EXACT problems right there.
    I really NEED a Solution
    Tell me IF ANYTHING WORKED FOR U GUYS

Josiah, Aug 4, 2015
  13. Dano Win User

OK, I got it working tonight!

What I did different was after I downloaded the update, the Windows 10 blue box came up and has a button that says "continue" (or something like that). I dragged that blue box out of the way and clicked the restart button on the regular windows update box. The screen came up showing the Windows 10 app was keeping me from shutting down. I let the laptop work that out and from there on the Windows 10 loaded correctly.

Please let me know if this works for you.

14. Josiah Win User
    could u explain a lil more clearly plzz bro...trying to understand what u were saying

Josiah, Aug 4, 2015
  15. Dano Win User
    When you're loading the software, use the normal Windows Upadate "Restart" button instead of using the Continue or Restart button that comes up on the blue Windows 10 box.

Thema:

1. Laptop Shuts Straight Off During Windows 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Laptop Shuts Straight

2. PC shutting off during Windows reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shutting off during Windows reset: I'm trying to do a full reset of my Win 11 PC. It works fine then it reboots and goes into the actual reset stage where it shows the completion progress and for some reason, my PC always shuts off automatically when the progress reaches 20-21%. I don't know what causes this....
  3. PC shutting off during Windows reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC shutting off during Windows reset: I'm trying to do a full reset of my Win 11 PC. It works fine then it reboots and goes into the actual reset stage where it shows the completion progress and for some reason, my PC always shuts off automatically when the progress reaches 20-21%. I don't know what causes this....
  4. Laptop shut off during factory reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shut off during factory reset.: Laptop shut off during factory reset now it's stuck on windows blue screen and can't log in as administrator. Stuck on reboot loop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-shut-off-during-factory-reset/4f88b90b-9297-40cb-bad7-de009165332d
  5. Laptop shut off during factory reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shut off during factory reset.: Laptop shut off during factory reset now it's stuck on windows blue screen and can't log in as administrator. Stuck on reboot loop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-shut-off-during-factory-reset/4f88b90b-9297-40cb-bad7-de009165332d
  6. Laptop shut off during factory reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 shuts computer off during startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 shuts computer off during startup: As the title says the computer shuts down before I am able to access anything. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shuts-computer-off-during-startup/51ec0ac3-b746-447d-bb7e-4f5dea6f10d1
  8. Computer Shuts Off During Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Shuts Off During Sleep: Hello, Recently within the past week or so, my computer started to shut off from both sleep mode/hibernate after a period of time. I am using latest Windows 10 build, updated graphics drivers. To further elaborate, when I try to put the computer into sleep, the displays turn...
  9. Laptop was shut off during an update

Laptop was shut off during an update: Hello all, My laptop was accidently shut off during an update and it seems to have caused some significant damage. Im not too tech-saavy so please be patient with my attempts to explain what I have done to attempt to fix the issue. -Wont allow me to reset/restore PC...
  10. Computer shut off during setup for Windows 10

Computer shut off during setup for Windows 10: While I was waiting for the Windows 10 Setup to download and check everything it needed to I neglected to notice that my charging cord for my laptop had come out. During the portion of the setup where it was asking me what all I'd like to transfer over my computer shut off....