Windows 10: Laptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong

Discus and support Laptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I bought a laptop with Win 10 Home on it and then bought an SSD and put it in the laptop. To install Win 10 on the SSD I first downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Falesh, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Falesh Win User

Laptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong

Hi there,

I bought a laptop with Win 10 Home on it and then bought an SSD and put it in the laptop. To install Win 10 on the SSD I first downloaded the Win 10 Home Single Language on my PC and burned it to a DVD. Then I formated and partitioned the hard drive and SSD on the laptop and installed Win 10 from the DVD onto the SSD. Unfortunately it didn't activate even though I had read online that it would do so as Win 10 activates based on the hardware.

I then connected the laptop to the internet and tried the MS tool on that and selected Upgrade. It went through the instillation but again didn't activate. I used ShowKeyPlus which gave my OEM Key and said the OEM Version was "Win 10 RTM Core OEMLaptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong :DM", this is in the UK in case it makes a difference. I have looked for a place to download a "Win 10 RTM Core OEMLaptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong :DM" iso but haven't had any luck.

Is there a way to salvage this situation or do I need to buy/crack win 10 the day after I bought it along with the laptop? Laptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong :p

:)

Falesh, Nov 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Stuck in Aptio Setup Utility

I would like to start off by saying that I have gone through many similar discussions d none of he solutions there have worked for me.

Problem: When turning on the laptop it boots straight to Aptio. On occasion it boots into a blue screen telling I must repair my computer. (I have already tried the Win 10 media instilation.) And giving me error code tried the Win 10 media instilation.)
    And giving me error code 0xc0000185.

Asus Laptop

8G Ram

1TB Hard drive

Intel i7

donaldlamont95, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Frkiko Win User
    Boot Manager asks for instillation disc be inserted. Windows q0 upgraded online so have no instillstion disc. Help

Boot Manager, on startip, asks for instillation didc to be inserted. Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 online, so no instillation disc. Please advise.

Computer does not get past black boot manager screen, even with recovery disc inserted. Please help.

Frkiko, Nov 29, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

I found that a new SSD on a laptop is enough of a hardware change to prevent activation being recognised. However you should have been given a product key when you bought it with W10 and you should be able to use that. Calling Microsoft to have them activate you over the phone may be an option if you explain what you have done. There is an activation tutorial you can read through and it may help.

philc43, Nov 29, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Installing an SSD is not enough of a hardware change to prevent activation. What you did wrong, Falesh, was using the single language edition of Windows 10. You want English - United Kingdom (or English - International) Windows 10 - not the single language version.

Once you have the correct Windows 10 downloaded you will have to do another clean install.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    That's what I thought too but I ended up having to reinstall my original W7 on my laptop and go through the upgrade again. However, your point about the language has now made me wonder if I had also selected the wrong edition. Note: it was a replacement of a HDD with an SSD so not really an addition of an SSD.

philc43, Nov 29, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Early on (July-September) Microsoft had some off and on issues with their activation servers and some of the initial upgrade activations did not get stored correctly and, thus, subsequent activations relying on retrieving the stored activations would fail.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
  8. philc43 Win User

That's exactly when I did it (early Sept) so does explain why I had trouble. Thanks!

philc43, Nov 29, 2015
  9. Falesh Win User
    When I do the clean install with the right windows version should I enter the OEM key? Cheers!

Falesh, Nov 29, 2015
  10. philc43 Win User
    No, just skip that stage and allow W10 to activate itself from the stored data on the Microsoft servers once the installation is complete.

philc43, Nov 29, 2015
  11. seek Win User
    Thought I read somewhere that you can use the CD key from the OS that you have originally upgraded from. Is it true? I'm about to do a clean install on a new SSD here soon too.

12. philc43 Win User
    Yes, that was a change Microsoft made to simplify activation and implemented it with the recent update.

Falesh will not need to do that since he already had a successfully activated W10 installation, if you read his original post you will see he did not upgrade from a previous version of Windows.

philc43, Nov 29, 2015
  13. seek Win User

Right, thanks for clearing that up!

Thema:

1. Laptop SSD upgrade win 10 instilation gone wrong - Similar Threads - Laptop SSD upgrade

2. Trying to update my SSD with a new SSD - cloning gone wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to update my SSD with a new SSD - cloning gone wrong: I tried to update my SSD with a new SDD.I cloned the old drive and then tried to boot up the new SSD which didn't work - blue screen on booting windows.Going back to the original drive I have now lost permissions to login to apps such as Teams, outlook, and office.Also I...
  3. HDD to SSD clone gone wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD clone gone wrong: I've recently jus tried to clone the data from my original HDD, clone all the files on the hard drive to my SSD. This being a new crucial SSD with no previously installed data. After completing this process my pc was shut down, and upon relaunching i came across issues. It...
  4. HDD to SSD clone gone wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD to SSD clone gone wrong: I've recently jus tried to clone the data from my original HDD, clone all the files on the hard drive to my SSD. This being a new crucial SSD with no previously installed data. After completing this process my pc was shut down, and upon relaunching i came across issues. It...
  5. win11 upgrade to win11 pro gone wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 upgrade to win11 pro gone wrong: Bought a new computer with win11 home installed. I then went to the microsoft store app and bought the win11 pro upgrade. click the install button sat back while it did its thing and when the system came back after restart I had win 11 enterpise installed and a activate...
  6. Upgrade gone wrong

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade gone wrong: I bought the upgrade from Win 10 home to Pro from the Microsoft store. My system was fully patched & Activated before I upgraded. When I ran the upgrade I received error 0x80070005. I restarted the system. The system installed and upgraded and restarted at least one. Upon...
  7. Win 10 update gone badly wrong

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 update gone badly wrong: Dell Inspiron laptop. Another update, endless blue screen, please wait etc., finally ending up with usually login, new background picture, but now I can’t log in.Pin not recognised, nor Microsoft user / pass. Clearly a problem with laptop as I used the same log in details to...
  8. Upgrading To Window 10 Gone Wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading To Window 10 Gone Wrong: Please Go Through Whole Post Deeply Need Your Help A month Ago I Upgraded My PC from Window 7 ultimate To 10, By downloading ISO file from Media Creation Tool than Uses Rufus To transfer that ISO ( 32 bit ) to USB and successfully Upgraded my PC to Window 10 Pro Today...
  9. Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade Gone Wrong

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade Gone Wrong: Upgrade edition of Windows via the Windows store to Pro. Got a confirmation email with no activation key. Windows will not activate. I've done no hardware changes or re-installs, this is just a version upgrade. I did notice Windows thinks it's running the Enterprise...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade gone really wrong! Laptop ruined? Plz help!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade gone really wrong! Laptop ruined? Plz help!: Hello everyone, two days ago my laptop "decided" to upgrade itself from windows 7 to windows 10 by itself. The laptop restarted saying that Windows 10 are going to be installed. So, I left the laptop to complete the installation and went to do some chores. The problem is...