Windows 10: Laptop to Monitor Resolution

Discus and support Laptop to Monitor Resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I usually have my laptop plugged into my monitor, but the laptops resolution is smaller than my monitors resolution. my laptop is making my monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BrodoSaggins, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Laptop to Monitor Resolution

I usually have my laptop plugged into my monitor, but the laptops resolution is smaller than my monitors resolution. my laptop is making my monitor display 1366x 768 when it should be 1920x 1080. Please help.

:)

BrodoSaggins, Nov 25, 2015

2. Unpredictable, sporadic loss of resolution with external monitor with Microsoft Office applications

Thanks for the suggestion.

So this is very interesting.

• Booting up the laptop, NOT connected to the monitor. Laptop on its own has high resolution. Once monitor is connected, the laptop screen is shut off. The monitor has the highest resolution, full utilizing its 4K capabilities.
    • Booting up the laptop with monitor connected. Laptop screen has high resolution. Both the laptop and monitor screens are on. Monitor screen duplicates the laptop screen, so the icons and windows appear larger. According to the Setting, System, Display,
      Advanced Setting, the resolution is 1920x1080 although everything appears to have a lower resolution. Now when I close the lid of the laptop, the size of all the icons and windows are reduced and look like the size in (#1) above. What is really interesting
      is that non-Office applications appear to have high resolution (I'm typing this post using Chrome), but Office applications appear to have poorer resolution. The type looks similar to what I'm seeing on my Dell desktop with a 24" 1080p screen (my monitor
      is a 27" 4K display). However, the resolution shown is 3840 x 2160.
    • Now I open up the lid of the laptop and get back the duplicate screens (monitor = laptop screen). I then use the function key to change it into the projection mode, and everything looks the same as
      if the lid of the laptop is closed (#2 above). The resolution, according to Setting, is 2560 x 1440.
    • I also used the extended mode and the image on the monitor also looks like #2 above. Using the Setting to check on the resolution, the monitor is now set at 1920 x 1080 in the extended mode.
    So you are on to something here. Depending on whether I project to the monitor, using it in the extended mode, or using it with the laptop lid closed, the images all appeared with the same degree of
    lower resolution even though the resolution setting of the monitor varies. So maybe it is Office not being able to fully utilize the higher resolution or something with the Clear Type fonts.

As I mentioned, everything looks great when I boot up the laptop with the monitor disconnected, and then connect it after I have booted up and logged in.

Thanks for helping in trying to solve this interesting problem.

Albert

AlbertLeung9176, Nov 25, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Scale and Layout On Different Monitors?

Hi Markos,

When a laptop or PC has a screen or monitor attached (be it your laptop or external monitor) what happens is Windows polls that device and works out the optimal resolution for that device.

In the case of your internal screen that is 1920x1080 that is why it is marked (Recommended).

Then if you connect an external monitor, Windows will work out the optimal resolution for that screen and apply that - it may or may not be the same as your laptop resolution

Windows will run both monitors at their optimal resolution. You can change this manually if you wish later . . .

DaveM121, Nov 25, 2015
  4. Laptop to Monitor Resolution

Welcome to Ten forums Brodo,

Go to control panel > Display > Adjust resolution - this will be on the left side > Display - choose the correct display > Resolution - set at the correct resolution.

When done Click apply > then OK to save your setting's.

Please post back to let us know if it worked for you.

I have a lappy and external monitor and set it up the same way.

PS; I will be here all day Turkey day and straight thru thru week end.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Nov 25, 2015
  5. batlhilz Win User
    your laptop can only output 1366x768 - when you use "clone displays" -option, your full HD monitor gets restricted with this resolution. you need to "extend these displays" and then via display configuration set the correct full HD resolution to your monitor and the 1366x768 to your laptop monitor

batlhilz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop to Monitor Resolution

1. Laptop to Monitor Resolution - Similar Threads - Laptop Monitor Resolution

2. Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Resolution: I just got a 34 inch curved monitor Dell S3422DW and I am trying to change the resolution to 3440X1440 but that is not an option in the Resolution menu. The highest it goes is 1920X1080. So right now my screen is stretched and pixilated. How can I get the 3440X1440 resolution...
  3. Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Resolution: I just got a 34 inch curved monitor Dell S3422DW and I am trying to change the resolution to 3440X1440 but that is not an option in the Resolution menu. The highest it goes is 1920X1080. So right now my screen is stretched and pixilated. How can I get the 3440X1440 resolution...
  4. Monitor resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  5. Monitor resolutions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  6. Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Resolution: I have a monitor that needs 2560x1440. Windows will not let me do that. Any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-resolution/915392ba-b1fa-4ee7-8992-b9e49b2c12db
  7. Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor Resolution: I bought a Dell Inspirion Desktop with an HD graphics card and the PC came with a 32 inch HD Samsung TV. When I first got it I could see things in high definition. For some reason it has reverted to low definition and neither Dell, or Samsung will help. What do I need to...
  8. monitor resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    monitor resolution: HI I was trying to change my resolution from 1050 to 1080 on my monitor I did everything correctly but when I pressed apply to change and finalize my new resolution it switched back to native I am on desktop with a monitor of Dell E228WFP...
  9. Monitor unable to use laptop resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor unable to use laptop resolution: Hi My laptop model is Asus X550J runing Intel Core i7, Geforce GTX 850M and i wanted to connect my monitor to my laptop so i use the vga cable to connect to my Acer p193w monitor. When i tried to use it , it will have a pop up saying that the resolution is not correct...
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...