Windows 10: Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network

Discus and support Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my upstairs desktop (formerly Windows 7) and my laptop (formerly Windows 8.1) to Windows 10. Since then I have spent hours and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bphilipps, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bphilipps Win User

Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network

I recently upgraded my upstairs desktop (formerly Windows 7) and my laptop (formerly Windows 8.1) to Windows 10. Since then I have spent hours and hours trying to get them visible to each other on my home private network (no homeGroup).

I have a total of 3 computers on my network, upstairs desktop (W 10), downstairs desktop (W XP Home) and laptop (W 10). I have now been successful in getting the two desktops to see each other and share files and printing. My laptop on the other hand has been a different story.

1. The laptop sees the upstairs desktop computer but not the downstairs desktop computer. When I try to access files on the upstairs desktop I get an error and run the troubleshooter and it comes up with "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer" "Windows Sockets registry entries for network connectivity are missing". I can get to the internet on the laptop with no problem.

2. If I turn the upstairs desktop and laptop off, boot up the laptop FIRST and then the upstairs desktop, everything works fine, but as soon as I turn the laptop off and restart I get the same issues of not seeing the downstairs desktop and file accessing of the upstairs desktop becomes an issue.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

:)

bphilipps, Jan 11, 2016

2. laptop will not see the other computer on the network

The same situation with different HW (laptop Sony VAIO)

The other computers see the laptop, I can work on it.

I can ping from laptop to the other computers using the computer name,

with response time 2 -5 ms. So communication from laptop to the router is OK.

Jiri a Marie Vlckovi, Jan 11, 2016
  3. laptop will not see the other computer on the network

Hp desktop and hp laptop. Both connected through the same router, the desktop via CAT 6 and the laptop via WIFI.. My desktop sees the laptop and I can log into it and use whatever files I need, however the laptop cannot recognize the desktop. It sees all
    network media devices, several of which are on the desktop, so I know that it is connected to the correct network. It even sees the ROKU that is connected to the same router. The only thing that it will not see is the desktop. I have several computers on the
    network, and they all communicate through the network just fine with this one exception. File and printer sharing is on for both computers and I have tried several other "fixes" to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have uninstalled the virus protection
    software, turned off windows defender and the firewall. I am lost as to what else could be the problem. I set up a home group, and the laptop joined it no problem, but it still couldn't see the desktop.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

joeflynn71, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network

1. Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network - Similar Threads - Laptop unable access

2. Unable to see other computers on my network from Windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to see other computers on my network from Windows 11 laptop: I see others have similar issues and all the suggested settings have been checked at least 3 times.On my Win10 computer I can see the other 2 computers on my home network, including the Win11 laptop. On my Win11 laptop I can only see that device on the network, although it...
  3. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    see other computers on network: I have tried many of the recommendations online, but none seem to work.Surely there is a way to make transfering files from one computer to another possible, using my home network.Thanks for help.greg...
  4. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    see other computers on network: I have tried many of the recommendations online, but none seem to work.Surely there is a way to make transfering files from one computer to another possible, using my home network.Thanks for help.greg...
  5. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network: Hello, my laptop cannot find other computers in the network, even though the other computers can find my laptop. A few weeks ago it was working correctly, but I had to be away for a few weeks. Now that I have returned, it seems as though the feature is not working correctly....
  7. Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network: Hello, my laptop cannot find other computers in the network, even though the other computers can find my laptop. A few weeks ago it was working correctly, but I had to be away for a few weeks. Now that I have returned, it seems as though the feature is not working correctly....
  8. Laptop Cannot See Other Computers in Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Unable To See This PC As Well As Other Computers On The Network.

Unable To See This PC As Well As Other Computers On The Network.: Hello all I am getting very frustrated. I had to rebuild a laptop and a desktop. I have win 10 pro ver 1809 on each. Services DNS client is running and automatic function discovery provider is running and automatic function discovery resource is running and automatic...
  10. Not seeing other computers in network

Not seeing other computers in network: After january updates I haven't been able to see other computers in same network via file explorer, all computers are in same network since I can map as a drive shared folder (just takes bit longer than simply browsing with file explorer) and february update didn't fix it so...