Windows 10: Laptop USB 3.0 port is dead, no standard fix works (some oddities)

Discus and support Laptop USB 3.0 port is dead, no standard fix works (some oddities) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been trying literally anything I can to fix this dead USB port for the better part of 5 months now and I just give up, so I ask for help! I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JonJansma, Jul 14, 2018.

1. JonJansma Win User

Laptop USB 3.0 port is dead, no standard fix works (some oddities)

I've been trying literally anything I can to fix this dead USB port for the better part of 5 months now and I just give up, so I ask for help!

I've watched every video on youtube, read every wiki ehow, and (it feels like) every forum.

Background and Details:

I have an Asus ROG gl502vs laptop with 3 3.0 USB ports. Only one USB port is dead, the others are absolutely fine.

I have tried...

1. restarting the computer

2. using Device Manager to uninstall various/all USB composites and controllers

3. changing the regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB\DisableSelectiveSuspend value to 1 (had to make it, it wasn't there before)

4. changing the power options to never disable a device of any kind.

5. changing any and every usb related item's power management setting to unchecked.

6. opening up the laptop and looking to see if the usb port was visibly broken or burned out (it is unmarred)

Oddities:

1. If I have no devices plugged in, I've noticed there are still 2 USB composite devices listed all the time in Device Manager. One of these can be disabled, the other cannot. If I uninstall all USB composite devices so there are none left in the list (2 if no USB device is actually plugged in, 4 if they are plugged in) and replug in a single USB device back in, 3 composite devices suddenly appear. If I delete all 3, only one of these 3 actually stops the attached device from working. The other two do nothing. Just to be clear, none of this experimentation gets the dead USB to function.

2. If I plug a Microsoft Xbox 360 wired USB controller into the dead port, the Xbox logo that indicates the player# flashes green for less than a second before being dead again. Nothing else seems to react this way.

Please help!

:)

JonJansma, Jul 14, 2018
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Laptop USB 3.0 port is dead, no standard fix works (some oddities) [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jul 14, 2018
  3. USB Port Oddities

As part of my on-going Windows 10 problems, I discovered a USB-port related one that I do not understand. It started when I plugged a USB key into the upper port on the front of the computer, which was not recognized, so I tried two open ports on the back of the case, with the same result.

I took the key to my wife's computer, plugged it, and it was instantly recognized. I went back to my computer, and removed the wireless mouse transmitter from the lower port on the front, plugged it into the upper port, and had no mouse.

Final step was to plug a non-wireless mouse into the lower front port, the one that works for my wireless mouse; instead of loading the driver, nothing happened, so I replaced the transmitter, and the wireless mouse started working.

This is completely beyond my ken. I do know that the non-wireless mouse worked under Windows 7 when plugged in to either front port, but I don't recall if I had tried it with Windows 10 when I was having a problem with a new wireless mouse. USB keyboard, USB charging cable for wireless mouse, and USB 3 external hard drive all work.

Control Panel/Device Manager shows all USB devices working properly, but something is clearly amiss. Any ideas as to what and how to fix this collection of oddities?

Not Myself, Jul 14, 2018
  4. foxslink Win User

USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop USB 3.0 port is dead, no standard fix works (some oddities) - Similar Threads - Laptop USB port

2. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  3. USB port dead overnight

USB port dead overnight: I bought a new PC less than a month ago specifically HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 16-a0006nl and I immediately noticed that, while in my previous PC whenever I switched it off the devices connected by USB were also not getting powered anymore, in the new PC they stay on. I...
  4. USB port dead overnight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port dead overnight: I bought a new PC less than a month ago specifically HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 16-a0006nl and I immediately noticed that, while in my previous PC whenever I switched it off the devices connected by USB were also not getting powered anymore, in the new PC they stay on. I...
  5. USB port dead overnight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. USB 3 Ports No Longer Work

USB 3 Ports No Longer Work: After updating Windows back in May, my USB 3.0 ports provide power, but no data. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the USB drivers to no avail. I have been unable to find an older version of the drivers to rollback to. I am currently on Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19042 Build...
  7. Dead usb ports

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead usb ports: My usb ports suddenly stopped working! All four on the front panel are dead and only two of ports in the are still alive. My only connection to the internet is through my cell phone hot spot but in order to do that requires a usb wireless adapter. See where I'm going with...
  8. USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices

USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices: I have had this problem since February and not sure what to do. All of my USB 3 ports are not recognized by my computer as USB 3 ports only as USB 2/1.[ATTACH] The two active ports you see there are USB 3 ports, but they don't work as USB 3 ports. If any one has had this...
  9. USB 3 Ports Stopped Working

USB 3 Ports Stopped Working: My front and rear USB 3 ports stopped working. The rear USB 2 ports still work. When I plug an external HDD into the front USB 3 ports it powers up the drive, but it isn't recognized in Windows Explorer. My USB card reader doesn't light up. Device Manager doesn't show any USB...
  10. USB Port Oddities

USB Port Oddities: As part of my on-going Windows 10 problems, I discovered a USB-port related one that I do not understand. It started when I plugged a USB key into the upper port on the front of the computer, which was not recognized, so I tried two open ports on the back of the case, with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix usb 3.0 ports asus rog windows 10