Windows 10: Laptop was Dropped

Discus and support Laptop was Dropped in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My neighbor was carrying my laptop for me, which was a bad decision on my part. I do keep it in a soft carrying case. Anyway, he accidentally dropped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mr Ed, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Laptop was Dropped

My neighbor was carrying my laptop for me, which was a bad decision on my part. I do keep it in a soft carrying case. Anyway, he accidentally dropped it onto cement ( fell a few feet, as he was in a wheelchair). I immediately checked it out and it appears to be working fine. When it was dropped my first thoughts were, "That's the end of the HDD." My question is: do you think any long-term damage to any of the components may have occurred (particularly the HDD, as it would be the component most sensitive to shock), or is it possible the HDD may have some sort of fall-sensing capability to lock the drive and minimize damage (I've read some laptops have that capability). What do you think? Thanks....Ed

:)

Mr Ed, Jan 17, 2017
  2. andoceo Win User

Nokia E72 was accidentally dropped Laptop was Dropped :(

when your phone was dropped, the memory card was disconnected due that shock (those contacts were inactive for a second) and thats why it was disconnected. Your theme details were on card and because your phone couldn't find them (as your memory card was't
    discoverable at that time ) it displayed default background and default theme. When you touched the memory card, the connections were made back and everything came back to normal after that. You don't have to worry as nothing bad happened, although is not
    recommendable to drop it (not even accidentable) as it may cause physical injuries to your phone.

andoceo, Jan 17, 2017
  3. V40V Win User
    Nokia E72 was accidentally dropped Laptop was Dropped :(

The memory card can eject (lose contact) even if the card door is shut. You should be ok.

4. Bree New Member

Laptop was Dropped

Was it turned on or off when it was dropped? If it was turned off then the heads would have been parked and the chance of damage would be much less. If it was turned on, the G-force sensors that you talk about (if your laptop has them, check the manual) work like this:

Active hard-drive protection - Wikipedia

Sounds like you've been lucky @Mr Ed, but as a precaution it would be wise to back up your data and make a system image (if you do not already have one). That way you can replace the HDD if it ever fails and restore the system image.

5. Mr Ed Win User
    Thanks for the explanation about how HDD's protect themselves. I'm sure my humble Toshiba doesn't have any G-force protection within. BTW, the laptop was off when it fell, so according to what you said, it did have some protection As I recall, my first Toshiba that broke the screen was running at the time, yet the hard drive survived until this day. Maybe just a fluke?

BTW, everything is backed up to external media and the cloud.

Mr Ed, Jan 17, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    A system image on an external HDD is a good idea too. Should you ever drop and break the HDD or it just wears out and dies then you can restore the image to a brand new drive and carry on as if nothing had happened. Windows comes with its own imaging software, but most here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a more reliable solution.

Macrium Reflect - Backup & Restore
    System Image - Create in Windows 10

7. Mr Ed Win User
    I read ya', Bree. I have backed up a system image on an external HDD (a new one, not the salvaged one from my old Toshiba).

Mr Ed, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop was Dropped

1. Laptop was Dropped - Similar Threads - Laptop was Dropped

2. Laptop fps drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop fps drops: When my laptop is unplugged, I get fps drops. The fps drops to 30, 20 or even 10. Someone please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-fps-drops/ced1b01d-17c4-48c4-b5b2-cfd73521315d
  3. Laptop fps drops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop fps drops: When my laptop is unplugged, I get fps drops. The fps drops to 30, 20 or even 10. Someone please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-fps-drops/ced1b01d-17c4-48c4-b5b2-cfd73521315d
  4. Fps suddenly dropped on my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fps suddenly dropped on my laptop: Hello! So i have a hp pavillion gaming laptop with ruzen 5 3550 and 1650. Im using it for a year and games on it were perfectly playing a lot of fos and that. Suddenly today, the fps on every game dropped to maximum 30fps. I normally have 180 fps. I have every druver updated...
  5. horrid FPS drops and beeps. [laptop]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    horrid FPS drops and beeps. [laptop]: just today, I started getting FPS drops sporadically, and they won’t stop. When they happen I get a beep, the same one that occurs when I unplug the charger from my laptop. When I turn it on, there’s a black screen and a mouse. please help. I use this laptop for studying. I...
  6. Volume drop on laptop Can't restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume drop on laptop Can't restore: Looking for help with a problem with audio. My laptop is only a few months old and in good nick. Last night I was involved in a Skype call with very low sound and had to use headphones' When the Skype call finished , I noticed that the volume on my laptop was very low...
  7. Laptop keeps dropping network connection.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop keeps dropping network connection.: I have an ASUS ROG laptop and whenever I am playing video games online, my WiFi would randomly drop until I exit out of the game and reconnect. I have experienced disconnections about 3 to 4 times yesterday and have been looking for solutions. This isn't my WiFi because...
  8. Dropped laptop charger; could it be broken?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dropped laptop charger; could it be broken?: This is the first time something like this has happened, I dropped my laptop charger. It's for this laptop: Dell Inspiron i5577-7342BLK-PUS,15.6" Gaming Laptop, (Intel Core i7,16GB,512GB SSD),NVIDIA GTX 1050. I was dropped from about waist height in a sitting position onto...
  9. laptop dropped from homegroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop dropped from homegroup: The laptop dropped out of the Homegroup. It had factory installed Windows 10 but I have Windows 7 running on it to match with the other computers in the Homegroup. I can't even find "Homegroup" in settings on the Laptop....
  10. Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal: I'm using a new Asus AC68U router. My home network includes, among other items, my desktop and my laptop (a Dell XPS 15). The laptop occasionally drops the wifi on the 2.4 GHz band. Everything else on the network handles both bands fine. The laptop has been holding well on...