Windows 10: Laptop will not boot at all, not even from DVD

Discus and support Laptop will not boot at all, not even from DVD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Slightly puzzled- batteries fail, so need replacing, and this is (probably) a replacement battery: asus VivoBook S551LN-1A Battery, Replacement 6-Cell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MegaRodeon, Oct 15, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Laptop will not boot at all, not even from DVD

Slightly puzzled- batteries fail, so need replacing, and this is (probably) a replacement battery:
    asus VivoBook S551LN-1A Battery, Replacement 6-Cell asus VivoBook S551LN-1A Laptop/Notebook Battery

So is yours particularly inaccessible? I saw one laptop disassembly where most things had to come out to get at the battery- Asus X551CA (not yours) but can't find a video or instructions for your model.

You said you've removed the CMOS battery (probably a small round silver one). For more modern BIOS using flash memory, that's independent of that battery- which is just to keep the clock ticking.

Increasingly sounds like either your BIOS has been corrupted (why? - unknown) or some other hardware problem (strange coincidence).

dalchina, Oct 16, 2015
  2. sl2222 Win User

Since the built in keyboard doesn't seem to work to get into the bios have u tried a usb keyboard yet?

sl2222, Oct 18, 2015
  3. I've inserted 2 bootable USBs and it won't boot into them, let alone detecting a USB keyboard.

MegaRodeon, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Laptop will not boot at all, not even from DVD

I think I might have to replace the motherboard. Could you tell me if it modifies my personal files or any files on the hard disk please? Thanks.

MegaRodeon, Oct 18, 2015
  5. mrpumpkin Win User
    It seems like your PC is not posting. To answer your question, your system may not be bootable after a MB replacement, but the files should be recoverable.

Back when I overclocked systems (way back), the recovery was a jumper on the MB to reset the bios. A second option was the CMOS battery, however, you have stated there is an irremovable battery. I have only replaced CPU/APU fans and WIFI connections on laptops, but maybe there is a way to execute that reset jumper available on desktop MB's on a laptop ?

mrpumpkin, Oct 18, 2015
  6. Well I've taken out the component that's apparently the CMOS battery (the round thing), but even with draining all the power in the battery, the BIOS can't be reset.

MegaRodeon, Oct 19, 2015
  7. sl2222 Win User
    It does sound like that MB might be shot. If u get the same board or 1 that uses a similar chipset u could get it to boot.
    At any case u can always save your data. Just remove the hard drive and hook it up as a secondary drive on another system and copy all your data.

sl2222, Oct 19, 2015
  8. socklosk Win User

The same thing was happening to my desktop. I took it to a computer technician and everything tested fine. Coincidentally, it posted and booted after re-seating the memory, but I do not think it was the re-seating that fixed it. It still refuses to post every now and then, but seems to fix itself after resetting the computer button enough times. It was as if my computer was possessed! I do not want to sound paranoid, but I think somebody has control over my computer.

socklosk, Oct 19, 2015
  9. I just had the same issue of not being able to boot. What I did was hit esc as soon as the Asus splash screen appears and then chose the boot device. In my case, I chose the dvd as I went back to 7 not having a 10 backup or access to another computer to get a recovery disc for 10. It took 9 hours the first go around, then ran it again from the HD as it failed, and gave me a message that running recovery again may fix the problem. The second run took around an hour, and I'm in business getting things set back up. I'm not sure if not having the usb or dvd first in the boot order from BIOS will affect anything doing it this way if you can't get into BIOS. but it might be worth trying.

Timatoberts, Oct 20, 2015
  10. ...I'm pretty sure your situation is very different from mine. My problem is that my laptop won't start up at all, only some indicators light up and that's it; no ASUS splash screen, nothing from display, etc. Anyways fortunately your problem was solved.

MegaRodeon, Oct 22, 2015
  11. mrpumpkin Win User
    If all is still lost, found this link.

CMOS-Reset - How to reset the CMOS? (Reset BIOS settings) | biosflash.com

mrpumpkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop will not boot at all, not even from DVD - Similar Threads - Laptop boot DVD

2. Booting from DVD on Lenovo computers?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from DVD on Lenovo computers?: Can I boot my Levono computer from DVD? Apparently he wants to prevent me from installing a decent operating system on it. Bei Lenovo-Rechner von DVD booten?
  3. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from a DVD?: I got a new computer but when I put a bootable DVD it won't boot from it, it just goes back into windows 10? What can I do to make it boot from my DVD? 162249
  4. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a DVD?: How can I boot from a DVD? 162257
  5. Laptop won't boot even from disk

Laptop won't boot even from disk: Dear MSCS My friend never charged their laptop battery and since I have charged it, but it hasn't been able to start. I took the ram, hardrive and the CMOS out, but changed the harddrive after putting everything back. I changed the hhd with a new one, tried to boot it...
  6. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  7. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  8. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  9. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...
  10. Boot from a linux DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a linux DVD: Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability. 53972