Windows 10: laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

Discus and support laptop will not wake for task from shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; new windows 10 pro system, all updates installed lenovo p51s i7 7600 checked BIOS for any related s3/s5 settings but did not see anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hicksville, Jul 12, 2017.

1. laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

new windows 10 pro system, all updates installed
    lenovo p51s
    i7 7600

checked BIOS for any related s3/s5 settings but did not see anything

nothing in power settings about fast startup (to disable)

turned hibernate off with powergfg.exe

the laptop will wake from sleep to run the task, but will not wake from shutdown

this is not our first windows 10 machine, so we feel we really went thru all the 'normal' things to check. but we'd appreciate any help.

btw, it worked perfectly on the previous windows 7 and windows 10 machines. could it be this version of windows which came as a system image from lenovo? the previous win 10 machine had a retail license.

:)

hicksville, Jul 12, 2017
  2. J. Baute Win User

Windows 10 : scheduled task does not automatically start hibernated laptop

Before I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 I had a scheduled task that was set to automatically startup my laptop and run a specific batch script.

The task ran as a privileged user, triggered at a specific hour, and set to wake up the computer.

My laptop was normally plugged into the power supply when this ran.

To enable this I had to hibernate my system, which I do by running the shutdown /h command from the run prompt.

Shutting down from the start menu blocked this from working.

After the upgrade to Windows 10 I tried recreating this scheduled task but my laptop no longer wakes up from hibernation.

This is really annoying as I now have to daily run certain tasks manually which otherwise run automatically even when I'm not around.

Has this changed in Windows 10?

Is there a way to re-enable this behavior?

J. Baute, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Tim091 Win User
    Windows 10 Draining My LapTop Battery

You have a couple of options available:

(1) Turn off Fast Startup.

(2) Set up a "shutdown" shortcut on your desktop (shutdown /s /t 0) and use it in place of the Start Menu > Power > Shutdown.

These should put the laptop into a better state of shutdown and save some battery life. Let me know how it works.

JohnD

Hmm, I'm not sure this can be correct. Yes, when in Sleep mode it could well be processing tasks, but when I click Shutdown the laptop shuts down, powers off completely. The only thing that has power in that state is the mainboard/BIOS. We know that nothing
    can be kept in RAM without power, the HDD would have to be spinning if Windows was still "doing something".

Tim091, Jul 12, 2017
  4. laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

Hi hicksville. Welcome to the TenForums @hicksville

A machine will wake from Sleep or hibernation but no machine will wake from a Power Off state.

If device is power off, shutdown, Windows is not running and therefore cannot track time.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 12, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    One exception. In BIOS, most machines, it can be set to power on at a preset time. But that's not a Windows function.

f14tomcat, Jul 12, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Hicksville,

You will probably also find that the Wake the computer to run this task setting in Task scheduler is not all it seems -

#1 Wake from hibernation only works if AC power is connected despite any settings you have made in Task scheduler.
    #2 Wake from sleep obeys the Conditions you have set in Task scheduler regarding any need for AC power to be connected.

I have never seen it documented anywhere but the #1 limitation has applied to every laptop I have owned. I assume there are other computers that do not have the limitation.

Denis

7. Thanks you,
    I'm pretty sure we were shutting down the previous computer and waking it. But maybe not if you're absolutely sure windows won't wake from shut down.

It's in a docking station with continuous AC power.

I guess we'll have to live with letting it sleep all the time instead of using shut down at night

Thanks!

hicksville, Jul 13, 2017
  8. Try3 Win User

laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

Hicksville,

Since you have continuous AC, you can Hibernate it instead if you prefer.

Denis

9. Thanks everyone,
    We set it to hibernate. I guess shut down is a relic from the past that don't need to do nightly anymore.

hicksville, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

1. laptop will not wake for task from shutdown - Similar Threads - laptop wake task

2. Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown: Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown. Usually happens when i close it below 50 percent. I've tried:changing power plan, hard disk sleep time, restoring defaults installing latest windows update, updating drivers, deleting and recreating...
  3. Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown: Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown. Usually happens when i close it below 50 percent. I've tried:changing power plan, hard disk sleep time, restoring defaults installing latest windows update, updating drivers, deleting and recreating...
  4. Laptop battery drops to 0 after waking up from either sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Laptop wakes from Hibernate

Laptop wakes from Hibernate: I know this problem has been posted many times before, but I have yet to see any answers that help me, and I hope that I will, as this is increasingly frustrating. I have an Asus Zenbook UX434FLC and am using the option to Hibernate when I press the Power button. However,...
  6. Shutdown Tasks

Shutdown Tasks: Is there any way that I can get a program to run automatically when I shut my computer down? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-tasks/996501f0-cad7-4d5f-b6e4-e5d593180a11
  7. Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state: So I am trying to enable Wake On Lan for my PC so I can turn it on remotely. The PC is in an odd spot so reaching the power button is awkward so I have made a custom wireless button (using a NodeMCU) to send the WOL packet over my network. It works just fine when I put the...
  8. How to use Task Scheduler to wake a laptop from 'Connected Standby'?

How to use Task Scheduler to wake a laptop from 'Connected Standby'?: Hi I have just purchased a new laptop which apparently only support 'Connected Standby'. In spite of setting a Task Schedule to wake the PC from 'Connected Standby' I have not had any success. The Task Schedule is set as per my older Windows 10 Home laptops that do WAKE the...
  9. Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking)

Laptop doesn't wake from sleep (boots from shutdown instead of waking): When I put my laptop to sleep and then attempt to wake it up, it will power on (going through the boot up screens) instead of just waking up, thus causing me to lose any information open on the computer. I have tried a few things to try to wake it up to no avail: sfc...
  10. Attempting to wake causes shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Attempting to wake causes shutdown: The computer won't automatically sleep any longer after 20 minutes. When I manually put it to sleep, it all sleeps; however, it won't wake up. Instead, when I move the mouse, I hear the fans engage for <1 second and then all peripherals go dark and the computer stops. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will the wake this computer to run this task wake the computer from a shutdown?