Windows 10: Laptop + Windows 10 Fresh Install + Partitions

Discus and support Laptop + Windows 10 Fresh Install + Partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have suspicions of issues on my daughters ASUS laptop. It has had some viruses recently and tbh I am just not comfortable with her using it now until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TechTit, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TechTit Win User

Laptop + Windows 10 Fresh Install + Partitions

I have suspicions of issues on my daughters ASUS laptop. It has had some viruses recently and tbh I am just not comfortable with her using it now until I can wipe it and start it all afresh.

I upgraded (the free update) from windows 8 to windows 10.

Just so everything is put back in order I wanted to do an ASUS factory reset but it keeps coming back with an issue saying that there is a missing partition.

From memory I think there were 7 partitions (I will post a screen dump when I get a chance).

In the recent past I did the windows 10 boot via the USB formatting the 2 large partitions and putting it in one of them which seems to work ok but I am just worried about anything in the partitions being compromised so to be on the safe sound would prefer just to wipe the slate clean and start again. Soooooo

1 - Is there a way to sort the built in “Factory Reset” and is it 100% that everything will be clean.

Or

2 - Is there an alternative way to 1. of getting a comprehensive clean install of windows 10. I am conscious that I might need to start hunting around for drivers etc as I assume that’s the reason for the OEM and Recovery partitions etc.

Cheers

:)

TechTit, Jun 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 upgrade and fresh install

Hello everyone,

I have an 2 year old ASUS laptop witch came with windows 8 already installed. It has all the partitions made by the manufacturer, the OS, DATA and hidden recovery partitions. I was wondering if i can do a a clean and fresh install on my laptop without all
    the partitions it has, meaning removing ALL the partitions and erasing the hard drive COMPLETELY so i can do my own partitions and install windows 10 from scratch.

If this is possible could you give a step by step guide on how to do it and what precautions i need to take?

SoulImmolator, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Fresh Windows 10 Install.

You need to use a third party tool to convert the system drive and the unallocated partition as GPT. You seem to be using MBR which does not support such as large partition. See how to do it for free using Easeus Partition Tool:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-...

Andre Da Costa, Jun 2, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

Asus BackTracker = oem program to restore asus factory recovery after windows 10 upgrade

Kyhi, Jun 2, 2016
  5. TechTit Win User
    Thanks for the quick response. I used that already and all it does is ultimately take you down the same path and error message.

TechTit, Jun 2, 2016
  6. TechTit Win User
    Is this safe to do?

TechTit, Jun 2, 2016
  7. TechTit Win User
    TechTit, Jun 2, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Absolutely not. You are inflating the number. With an EFI system you will have (maximum) 4. EFI, Microsoft reserved partition, C drive and recovery. Actually you only need 2 - EFI and C drive. When you do a clean install they will be created for you - you need not concern yourself with that.

In my experience no, probably not. Windows is pretty good and finding drivers as long as you have internet. I only have Wi-Fi so I must make sure I can install that driver so Windows update can find the rest.

What you could do is export all your current drivers to USB stick, do a clean install (wiping the disk in the process) and then re-install them all after.

How to restore drivers backed up via Dism /Online /Export-Driver - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

After that run Windows update a few times and you'll be fine. Obviously backup any documents you want to keep first...

lx07, Jun 2, 2016
  9. IF you did the upgrade less than 28 days ago, you can use Win10 rollback.
    Windows 10 - Go Back to Previous Windows - Windows 10 Forums

If windows.old (hidden) folder still exists, you might be able to recover the old system form there. I don't have a procedure, though. What I'm asking iis "Does the windows.old folder still exist on your C:\ drive?" You have to expose it by checking Hiddne Items on the File Explorer View menu.

Do you have or did you create Asus recovery DVD(s)?
    You could use them to restore to factory.

or, as lx07 suggested
    back up personal data (documents, music, pictures, videos, etc)
    Wipe the drive (diskpart clean is sufficient - no need to zero the entire drive)
    Clean install Win10

Slartybart, Jun 2, 2016
  10. sgiitk Win User
    I find EaseUS a freebie quite good at looking and managing partitions. Much better than the Win 10 partition manager. Download and install it, and then run, you will see the full monty. It is quite a shock to find how much garbage the PC vendor puts in there.

As for drivers give it an hour so so, Win10 is very good at finding and installing them. Only printer drivers are not automatically found and installed.

sgiitk, Jun 4, 2016
  11. TechTit Win User
    Thanks for the input all.

I updated when it first became available.

I am a so not savy enough to know how many partitions I should have vs how it looks .... I assume the previous upgrade has left these and perhaps is the reason the factory reset doesn't work ?

Anyway I think I will just bite the bullet and take things back to a clean slate doing a full wipe and reinstall.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

When get to step 12/13 which path do I take ? .... does it matter as theoretically I will be deleting all the partitions anyway ? BTW deleting all these will not affect my ability to install windows 10 back on will it i.e. I haven't lost some kind of electronic stamp in the partitions ?

On partitions what's the benefit .... I am not a 100% on this. Is it to ensure process is run smoothly in one partition while another is sat at the back for storage ? If that is the case after deleting them should I perhaps create 2; one for the OS and the other for storage?

TechTit, Jun 5, 2016
  12. First find out if your system boots Legacy, CSM, or UEFI
    BIOS Mode - See if Windows Boot in UEFI or Legacy Mode
    works in Win10 just as well

It makes a difference on how you create the media and what you have to disable (or not for Legacy & CSM)

I alsways advise members to backup all personal data, then Clean the drive (wipe it clean, no partitions on it), disconnect all external devices (except mouse, Keybd, and monitor) and... and... disconnect any internals drives except for the one that you are going to install Win10.

In the simplest of terms - no partitions on the drive-blnak-empty-clean *Wink
    Let Windows create the partitions it needs during the install.

If you need or want to adjust it, do so after Windows is up and running.

The Tut covers it well (glad you read it and asked questions!)

Step 12 if you find that your system is UEFI

Step 13 if not your system is NOT UEFI

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2016
  13. TechTit Win User

On my way home soon and will be giving this a bash tomorrow night .... expect me back looking for help *Confused

TechTit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop + Windows 10 Fresh Install + Partitions - Similar Threads - Laptop Fresh Install

2. How to Properly Partition Drive for Fresh Installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Properly Partition Drive for Fresh Installation of Windows 10?: Hello. Last week, I experienced a catastrophic issue with my old HDD, which has led to it being perpetually stuck in a repair loop. I had already tried everything for the HDD, reaching out to customer support from Microsoft, having already exhausted options from Recover from...
  3. How to Properly Partition Drive for Fresh Installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Properly Partition Drive for Fresh Installation of Windows 10?: Hello. Last week, I experienced a catastrophic issue with my old HDD, which has led to it being perpetually stuck in a repair loop. I had already tried everything for the HDD, reaching out to customer support from Microsoft, having already exhausted options from Recover from...
  4. How to Properly Partition Drive for Fresh Installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?: Hello everyone,I would like to ask you a quick question regarding my ASUS PC and concerning, more in detail, its Windows 10 OS that I've just reinstalled. I came back from Windows 11, as many work and university apps I had been using were not working correctly. During the...
  6. Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Which partitions are safe to delete after a Windows 10 Fresh Install?: Hello everyone,I would like to ask you a quick question regarding my ASUS PC and concerning, more in detail, its Windows 10 OS that I've just reinstalled. I came back from Windows 11, as many work and university apps I had been using were not working correctly. During the...
  7. Fresh install of windows 10 on hp laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of windows 10 on hp laptop: Trying to install windows 10 onto blank m.2 ssd in hp laptop. I have removed the original hdd for the install and it has been formated. The bios is the insydeh20 bios so the settings are not the same as other bios systems and does not have as much adjustability. I am getting...
  8. Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.: Hi Everyone, As my title says I cannot complete a fresh Windows 10 install from USB using Windows media creation tool. I purchased an NZXT BLD a few months ago and recently received a blue screen crash and of course I didn't write down the error code, because I didn't think...
  9. fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help

fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help: Hi Tenforums: ( windows 10 64 bit version 1909 build 18363.535 ) I replaced my old laptop hard drive with a Samsung 860 EVO to help it limp a bit faster.... Had temporary hiccups as install media seemed not to like the said SSD as target for installing the OS. After trial...
  10. Fresh Install Windows 10 - Recovery Partition

Fresh Install Windows 10 - Recovery Partition: Hi, I have an ASUS which came with 8.1 OEM. I upgraded to Win 10 and now am about to do a fresh install of Win 10 (using this tool: Windows 10) on it. It has 2 recovery partitions 20 GB and 500 MB. Q1. During fresh install, do I need to delete both recovery...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. techtits windows 10 1803