Windows 10: Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired

Discus and support Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Going back to basics.....I have two computers connected to the same router via an Internet switch box....the PC gets 70-80mbps I am cable with 80mb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by reddwarf4ever, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired

Going back to basics.....I have two computers connected to the same router via an Internet switch box....the PC gets 70-80mbps I am cable with 80mb max.....the laptop only gets up to 1mb but on wireless either built in or an external device get up to 3mbs

i know it's an old laptop, but don't know why the wired slower......

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Adalwar Win User

first, please put Speeds in same Unit, either MB/s or Mbps , so we don´t get "confused".
    second, take another Cable and see.
    Is the Cable a "Straight" or "Crossover"? Crossover will only work good connecting 2 PC´s directly. There are some switches that support also "Crossover" cables, but I would not do it.
    To identify if is Crossover or not, look at both ends side-by-side of the RJ-45 and colors must mach . If there are some (3) of the small wires in wrong order , you have a Crossover.
    Third, the best you have to do, is looking at Network Adapters and see at which speed they connect to Network.
    From that you can take conclusions.

Adalwar, Sep 26, 2016
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I've now switched to 5GHZ band for the Ethernet--wifi Bridge

Even better

copying also from Window(ntfs) HDD to NAS (File system ext4) HDD --My Capture device is Windows so I have to capture programs on Windows first --then I send it to NAS box for streaming / viewing later. NAS connected via SAMBA (running standard Linux CENTOS rather than a QNAP type of system for the servers).

Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired [​IMG]

Network currently 2 windows machines and 2 NAS servers - ticked with red markers -. Same LAN- all 4 boxes connect via LAN -->wifi Bridge using edimax router described in previous post in this thread.

One windows machine without LAN card connected via USB--LAN adapter -- Other adapters are 2 X HP Ethernet 1GB 332i adapter on the NAS boxes and an INTEL pro 100 mbps / 1Gb on the other laptop.

Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired [​IMG]

cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired

Your Router is 802.1AC working at max. 433Mbps. The max. it will run is 12MB/s.
    My HDD is doing better than than, over 80 MB/s.

Adalwar, Sep 26, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

I'm only showing what Windows is reporting -- seems fast enough for me. If Windows is telling lies then I can't help that !!!!!

HDD's of course on direct connections can go a lot faster --local SSD to decent optimised RAID will get over 230 MB/s - but that's local connections --different issue to going over a LAN - especially wireless.

A full 1Gb/s LAN should give sensible results too --but my point was to say that wifi is still perfectly OK unless you are transferring mega amounts of files regularly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 26, 2016
  6. Adalwar Win User
    You are moving files to the same computer, HDD Transfer speed. Not that huge, actually.
    Router will give 12MB/s and no more.

Adalwar, Sep 26, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Computers are different -- the 2 NAS boxes are totally separate from the Windows machines

Of course on same computer it's different - but these are all distinct physical machines.

Who knows how the file transfer is done --maybe hardware compression and buffering --I don't know--all that happens is that I'm satisfied I can move my files without it taking too long and the stuff plays on the remote TV's properly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

OK. Then be happy.
    There are no Miracles in PC. Data that goes thru your Router will go to 12MB/s. 60MB/s is typically a HDD Speed.
    To achieve that 60MB/s your Adapter should connect to Router at 2250Mbps and Router must support it, and it does not.
    Post here a picture from Adapter Connection Speed.

Adalwar, Sep 26, 2016
  9. Thanks everyone.....didn't really get a solution, will continue to investigate

reddwarf4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired - Similar Threads - Laptop wireless speed

2. speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone: the speed test results on my laptop Windows 10 home edition are much slower than my Samsung phone. they are both Wi-Fi they're both feet from the router and wi-fi. I am at a loss....
  3. speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone: the speed test results on my laptop Windows 10 home edition are much slower than my Samsung phone. they are both Wi-Fi they're both feet from the router and wi-fi. I am at a loss....
  4. speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Trackpad scroll speed much higher in some applications than in others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trackpad scroll speed much higher in some applications than in others: I've had the following issue for quite some time now:My trackpad scroll speed is perfectly fine when I'm scrolling through word documents or while using edge, chrome etc.But for some other applications, the scroll speed is way higher which makes it basically unusable for...
  6. Trackpad scroll speed much higher in some applications than in others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trackpad scroll speed much higher in some applications than in others: I've had the following issue for quite some time now:My trackpad scroll speed is perfectly fine when I'm scrolling through word documents or while using edge, chrome etc.But for some other applications, the scroll speed is way higher which makes it basically unusable for...
  7. Actual download speed in Microsoft Store much lower than measured download speed

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Actual download speed in Microsoft Store much lower than measured download speed: Why is the download speed in Microsoft Store so much lower than the download speed I'm measuring on speedtest.net? Evidence in this screenshot below: [ATTACH] I'm not using the internet on any other program, so it's not because of that. Microsoft Store just seems to be...
  8. Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed

Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed: I have a Dell Inspiron N5040 running 1809 17763.153. It has a Dell Wireless 1502 802.11 b/g/n WiFi card which is made by Atheros. Prior to upgrading to 1803 WiFi worked normally and Download was faster than Upload, 35Mb vs 10Mb. Since 1803 and now 1809 as well, Download is...
  9. Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload

Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload: Three weeks ago, I had Gigabit FIOS installed, but I have never been able to get gigabit speeds going both ways. I always get 900+ Mbps UPLOAD but never more than 300 Mbps DOWNLOAD. But, I get 900/900+ Mbps between the Router and the Server every time, *AND*, here's the...
  10. Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds

Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds: I have 1 gigabit internet I upgraded to about 6 months ago and the upgrade was huge in real life performance especially bandwidth/ping. The speeds never get throttled and my house is full 4-5 people on 1 router. BUT..... My download speeds are meh compared to the budget basic...