Windows 10: Laptop with Win10 decides when to update, causes failures/corruptions

Discus and support Laptop with Win10 decides when to update, causes failures/corruptions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone *Smile I'm hoping someone can give me some more information about what controls I have over how my computer decides to update, and why it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SandyAmandy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Laptop with Win10 decides when to update, causes failures/corruptions

Hi everyone *Smile
    I'm hoping someone can give me some more information about what controls I have over how my computer decides to update, and why it seems to be able to start and update without me interacting with the computer.

My problem comes from the fact that it often will wake itself up out of hibernation to start updating, however its a laptop and might have 15% battery while not being plugged in. While in the middle of updating, the battery will die, and this will cause my computer to not even be able to boot up afterwards. On multiple occasions I have had to call HP support and reinstall bios files that had been corrupted during the failed update. Other times, my computer will be sitting alone in hibernation mode, and I'll take it to class and open it up only to find its in the middle of an update it decides to do on its own and I am unable to use it for 20 minutes or more while it fights for wifi with 300 other computers in the room. On the more mundane side, sometimes it messes up driver settings and just general computer settings, and sometimes there are things I want to back up or ready before engaging an update.

I have gone through every obvious setting menu for updates settings and scheduling, and it doesn't really seem to have anything thats a true option of telling it to never update without me interacting to confirm it. Is that even an option anymore at this point with Windows? If it's not smart enough to recognize it doesn't have more than ten minutes of battery left, don't start a twenty minute update, why is it doing this? *Sad I feel like I'm being shut out of even having control over my own device and I'm honestly getting frustrated going to use my computer only to find out it started an update while I closed it and left. Thanks for reading I appreciate any feedback or guidance! As of right now my computer is up to date, I had to wait 10 minutes to use it to post this *Smile)) haha

:)

SandyAmandy, Nov 21, 2017

2. QUICKEN 2017 not launching since KB4056892 installed on Win 10 HP PC

Thanks

My problem is that the update KB4056892 crashed my PC and that caused other problems as well.

I fixed corrupted files and disk errors. I finally decided to just install Quicken 2017 on a laptop I have and hope that the next windows update will fix the problem.

JamesS_590, Nov 21, 2017
  3. HarveyTTT Win User
    Screen keeps flashing after installing windows 10

Just an update.

Tried to take the system back to Windows 7 (which was on my computer prior to trying to install Windows 10). Have done this before with no problem. This time, doing everything correctly, caused a factory reset. Lost everything. Decided that since my laptop
    is about 5 years old, to purchase a laptop. Which I did and is on order. Luckily I have a backup system waiting to be installed on my new computer when it arrives. Keep posted. Will update again on success or failure to install Windows 10 once the new computer
    arrives and is ready.

HarveyTTT, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Laptop with Win10 decides when to update, causes failures/corruptions

Hi Sandy. Welcome to the TenForums @SandyAmandy

Lack of control over updates is a pretty common beef. There is virtually no way to stop updates on Windows 10 Home. Sure you will find registry hacks but I tend to avoid these.

Some things that you can try to get some control. Set your connections, either Wireless or Wired to Metered Connection. This tutorial explains. I believe it will let critical security updates through but most will be held.

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

The problem with this strategy is you leave one wireless access point where you have Metered turned on and enter another place with a different Wifi SSID and it will say hey, this isn't metered so it starts downloading. Sure this can be overcome by setting every wifi / wired connection to Metered.

If you go this route I would set up an automated calendar entry to remind you to check for updates and answer the boxes to process. It looks for updates and then asks can I download. (Maybe just shut Metered Connection off for and evening.)

Next, and you may have already done this, you can change the time maintenance is run.

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Saw your comment on scheduling, wasn't sure if it was this scheduling you performed. If you change the maintenance timing hopefully you will be interacting with device and can deal with power. (I like your idea, why do updates even start if there isn't enough juice. Apple performs this check and even if you initiate updates, if you don't have enough energy it says plug me in. )

The only real way to get control is to use Windows Pro. You can defer specific types of updates 180 days, or pause all for 35 days. Again I would use a calendar entry every so often to remind myself to perform.

You can upgrade your license.

https://www.howtogeek.com/234946/how...-professional/

Hope other members add their comments.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 21, 2017
Thema:

Laptop with Win10 decides when to update, causes failures/corruptions

1. Laptop with Win10 decides when to update, causes failures/corruptions - Similar Threads - Laptop Win10 decides

2. Win10 KB5014023 Update Failure, 0x800703f1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 KB5014023 Update Failure, 0x800703f1: Problem: WIn10 KB5014023 Update Failure, with error 0x800703f1 other than this and the errors below, the system seems normal Device: Desktop with i3 2120T, 16GB DDR3, 1TB WD HDD with 50 GB free spaceOS: Win10 Pro 64 bit, Build 19044.1706Fixes tried:1. Windows Update...
  3. Win10 KB5014023 Update Failure, 0x800703f1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 KB5014023 Update Failure, 0x800703f1: Problem: WIn10 KB5014023 Update Failure, with error 0x800703f1 other than this and the errors below, the system seems normal Device: Desktop with i3 2120T, 16GB DDR3, 1TB WD HDD with 50 GB free spaceOS: Win10 Pro 64 bit, Build 19044.1706Fixes tried:1. Windows Update...
  4. Win10 KB5014023 Update Failure, 0x800703f1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. updates caused failures

updates caused failures: Since January 2021 my computer has being behaving weird, after this months updates KB5003637 and KB5003254 it became annoyingly unusable, I uninstalled last updates and it improved a little, but still behaving weird, sometimes i have to reboot to be able to keep working.How...
  6. Win10 Updates massive corrupt

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Updates massive corrupt: Security Intelligence-Update für Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.327.47.0 Wird heruntergeladen – 42% 2020-10 Vorschau auf kumulatives Update für .NET Framework 3.5 und 4.8 für Windows 10 Version 2004 für x64 KB4580419 Wird heruntergeladen – 18%...
  7. Update causes Brother print failure

Update causes Brother print failure: My Brother printer no longer functions after the Windows June 2020 update. According to Brother Update KB4560960 causes this problem. They are correct and my printer works after uninstalling the update. My ongoing problem is that Windows keeps reinstalling this update....
  8. Windows update causing a drive failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update causing a drive failure: I was in the middle of an update and around the 27% mark everything stopped and the following message appeared on screen: “Reboot and select a proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. I reseated the sata cables for my drive and made...
  9. Win10 1903 update failure

Win10 1903 update failure: Hi, Yesterday my work PC updated to 1903 and messed up my user account. I spent the day recovering my hard drive from an old image so I could do some work. Overnight Win10 has attempted 1903 again and destroyed my home account again. Looking at c:/Users I can see my...
  10. Windows update causes application failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update causes application failure: On July 12th 2019 Microsoft sneaked an update on my PC even though I had paused updates for 7 days. The update, KB4509096, a so-called "security update", broke video rendering on my photo/video viewer and editor, Irfanview. Another later update KB4507453 on the 13th may have...