Windows 10: Laptop woes

Discus and support Laptop woes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop suddenly started going mega-slow on Wednesday afternoon. It behaves in normal mode as if it has a memory leak. It doesn't happen in safe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Oriental Slave, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Laptop woes

My laptop suddenly started going mega-slow on Wednesday afternoon. It behaves in normal mode as if it has a memory leak.

It doesn't happen in safe mode, but if I start in safe mode with network the network doesn't start.
    I've run sfc /scannow which brings up that it can't replace opencl.dll
    I've also tried dicm (or is it dcim?) with an image on a DVD and that hasn't fixed it either.

A virus seems highly unlikely as I've not used it for anything I've used the desktop for, ditto with visiting websites, and receiving / opening email.

Advice? Right now the only way I see of fixing it is to backup my files (luckily there are not many of them) and reset W10, which I guess means I'll have to reinstall the software. *Sad

:)

Oriental Slave, Mar 25, 2016
  2. woes Win User

virus in my memory card

hello everyone,

Need a lil' help..

I recently downloaded a hell lot of things from ovi store,and i apparantly got a virus named 'wADYAjgb.HAG' in my memory card's 'cities' folder,and furtherin a folder 'diskcache'.

I tried deleting it, but it is just that i tap the deleting option...it says 'deleting' but the process wouldnt end.

Tell me some antivirus,some..somethng....!

Help!! Laptop woes :(

3. kevineu Win User
    Is my N95 broken... or am I being silly?

Get it SIM free and your woes will go.

kevineu, Mar 25, 2016
  4. Laptop woes

Night Hawk, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Thanks, I will look into that.

I should add that when I was trying to look at this it looks remarkably like it started system maintenance at pretty much the time the go-slow started.

6. dalchina New Member
    opencl.dll being reported by SFC /scannow is an MS bug, which in 'News' is supposed to be fixed 'soon' - been there for months.
    If nothing else is reported, fine.

You could try a clean boot and try to work out what's running that's causing this, unless it's a scheduled task.
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

Also post a screenshot of your task manager organised by highest CPU use topmost, highest disk use topmost.

dalchina, Mar 25, 2016
  7. Clean boot looks a good idea to me.

8. Laptop woes

Actually the blame by MVPs and others at the TechNet site goes to... NVidia gaming compatible drivers! If your laptop is an older model that previously 8.1 you could try replacing the present driver seeing it removed first with the 8.1 update from the NVidia support pages. One post with several entries at TechNet can be looked over at Windows 10 opencl.dll Error

Night Hawk, Mar 25, 2016
  9. This is presumably for the opencl.dll issue?

10. That's what the discussion there pertained to. The error isn't that uncommon. The SFC tool wasn't the answer as you found out while some pointed to the "sfc /scannow" command on a few of the threads seen. That one was linked from another!

Since there was some indication in a few about errors in the registry being seen the System Restore option had been the item there of interest. Rolling things back a few days before you first noticed things weren't running as they should might be the solution as well as the quick fix without the need for further action like a repair or reset.

Night Hawk, Mar 25, 2016
  11. I was going to say there is an awful lot of disk activity even after a clean boot whereas on my desktop which is fine there is none. The culprits are Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) which has 11 associated processes **, System and compressed memory**. However it seems to have settled down now so I'll work my way through the trouble-shooting in the article posted about clean boot.

**edit - these processes use an awful lot of disk for some time after booting. I'm also seeing some other Service Host processes using a lot of HDD.

12. The one thing I do not like about how 10 deals with the Startup tab in the Task manager having seen that moved out of the original msconfig utility was the Selective startup and check box for being able to disable all 3rd party startups along with selectively knocking out 3rd party services. That was an effective way to isolate a problem when you don't know exactly which ones to knock out. You simply enabled them back one at a time until the culprits were found.

Now you can still see all that disabled but spent quite a bit more time going down through the list of things! The other thing that also comes to mind when mentioning disk activity levels would be scheduling a run of the Disk Check tool on the next start up! Once you right click on the Start button and select the Command prompt(admin) option for the elevated permissions you then simply type the "chkdsk /r/f" command with the two R=Repair and F=Fix switches tacked on. That came in handy back in 2012 when the 7/8 CP dual boot turned into a mess and got each version running again!

Night Hawk, Mar 25, 2016
  13. Laptop woes

I *think* it's OK now, yet I've done almost nothing! I uninstalled some Epson printer software which has been on for ages, but I don't have the printer, and ditto Garmin Express which I installed to update a friend's Garmin. Then I ran Ccleaner on the registry until it didn't fine any problems. I'm not going to re-enable Skype & CCleaner at startup as I don't want them. Very strange that it just started all of a sudden.

I will get it to run chkdsk as well, and I have memtest on a CD...

14. Those two will still be good to run regardless since the laptop I presume didn't have 10 on it originally as well as having been in use for some time. Disk errors always seem to manage to find their way around! The HP laptop I bought as a gift for someone back in 2012 with the 32bit 7 HPremium saw the drive go belly up in December one day while the laptop had just been working normally until bringing it back to check up on the updates and other things. But it wasn't just the drive alone since the larger replacement went in and still nothing on the display and no information found on how to reset the cmos on that model series. *Confused

Memtest is still a good one to run as well while the newer versions since the XP, Vista days have also seen some improvements in the hardware area as far as some indication of faults. Often however before the memory develops faults it will tend to be disk errors or even partition information getting a bit tainted that will start seeing slow downs and other glitches come up. That was certainly seen when taking a look at 8 and both the CP and 7 suddenly wouldn't even start up! With 7 however the Disk Check tool saved the day while the CP saw a reset which then saw 7 added in as a boot option while at first it was 8 added into 7 to get around the then new secure boot issues.

Night Hawk, Mar 25, 2016
  15. chkdsk sat on 17% for 30 minutes or so, however all of a sudden it finished and said everything was OK.

Oriental Slave, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

Laptop woes

1. Laptop woes - Similar Threads - Laptop woes

2. how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...: how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having Windows home license https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-transfer-our-windows-pro-license-from/870479b3-aa84-4006-9b90-8de51b666476
  3. how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...: how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having Windows home license https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-transfer-our-windows-pro-license-from/870479b3-aa84-4006-9b90-8de51b666476
  4. I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP AND CAN"T GET PAST THE CREATE A PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP AND CAN"T GET PAST THE CREATE A PIN: IHave a new lap top and cannot get past the create a pin on microsoft log in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-new-laptop-and-cant-get-past-the-create-a/1aaef651-9022-4d93-984b-7ce8b8648df9
  5. I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP AND CAN"T GET PAST THE CREATE A PIN

I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP AND CAN"T GET PAST THE CREATE A PIN: IHave a new lap top and cannot get past the create a pin on microsoft log in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-new-laptop-and-cant-get-past-the-create-a/1aaef651-9022-4d93-984b-7ce8b8648df9
  6. My laptop's keyboard makes clicking sounds when I type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop's keyboard makes clicking sounds when I type: Clicking sounds does not happen when pc's turned off.I've tried-changing ease of access settings -updating my keyboard drivers-turned of on screen keyboard...
  7. My laptop's keyboard makes clicking sounds when I type

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop's keyboard makes clicking sounds when I type: Clicking sounds does not happen when pc's turned off.I've tried-changing ease of access settings -updating my keyboard drivers-turned of on screen keyboard...
  8. Laptop BSOD Woes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop BSOD Woes: So my laptop has suddenly started to have boot up issues via random BSOD errors.I get a rotating influx of MEMORY MANAGEMENT, STOP KERNEL CHECK, IRQL NOT EQUAL, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION, etc.I started by replacing the RAM, NVME, battery, power brick, cleaning out the fans,...
  9. Laptop BSOD Woes

Laptop BSOD Woes: So my laptop has suddenly started to have boot up issues via random BSOD errors.I get a rotating influx of MEMORY MANAGEMENT, STOP KERNEL CHECK, IRQL NOT EQUAL, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION, etc.I started by replacing the RAM, NVME, battery, power brick, cleaning out the fans,...
  10. Laptop BSOD Woes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging