Windows 10: Laptop won't boot after installing Win 10

Discus and support Laptop won't boot after installing Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I really have gotten myself into a bind here. Yesterday, I went to install Win 10 on an old laptop that I use for just browsing the web, and the kid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jhumur, May 29, 2017.

1. jhumur Win User

Laptop won't boot after installing Win 10

I really have gotten myself into a bind here. Yesterday, I went to install Win 10 on an old laptop that I use for just browsing the web, and the kid uses to do homework, and sometimes play Starcraft. I had Win 7 Pro 32-bit installed on it. The installation went fine but then I realized that I had used a 64-bit ISO when I should have used the 32-bit version. This was a problem only because there were no 64-bit graphics drivers for the laptop.

So, I went back to do a clean install using the 32-bit ISO. Once the installation began, and the system started preparing the files, I stepped away for a few minutes. When I got back, the copying of the files was complete and the laptop had initiated its first reboot into Windows Setup. Except, the screen was frozen on the splash screen that precedes loading of the BIOS.

I did a manual reboot. This time, it got past the splash screen and into BIOS, but it then froze just after it posted the USB and hard drive info, all of which showed OK. It froze immediately after posting HDD information. I couldn't go into BIOS setup, nor could I boot from the Installation USB.

This morning, I removed the hard drive and stuck it into one of the external docks connected to my desktop.Opened up Disk Management. It shows the 3 partitions: System Reserved, the OS partition (and the installation), and the Data Drive, all showing "Healthy." On the laptop, with the HDD removed, I was able to F2 into BIOS, and boot off of the Installation USB, no problem.

SO I am wondering if there are some diagnostics/repairs I can perform on the drive and the OS white I have access to it from the dock. Any thoughts, please? Thank you.

P.S. CHKDSK found nothing btw. The laptop is a ASUS V1Jp lol. Yeah, it's as old as the hills.

:)

jhumur, May 29, 2017
  2. JayPezz Win User

Repeatedly trying to upgrade to W10. Every error different. No luck

It got worse.

After the system last came back after trying to update to Win 10 and said it was restoring Win 8.1, I thought it was OK. At that point, I posted my problem using my other system and shut down the Win8.1 laptop figuring I'd try it after a couple of days.

When I tried booting the Win 8, it would no longer boot. Worse, it won't even go into the BIOS, instead coming up with a blue screen saying:

Recovery

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

File:\Boot\BCD

Error Code: 0xc000000f

It not only won't boot, it doesn't bring up the BIOS choices as it did in the previous screen, won't go into BIOS, won't open the DVD drive and won't boot a Win10 or Win8.1 from a USB. In short, Win 10 took my working Win 8.1 and made a basket case of it.

JayPezz, May 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 crash after free update

According to the FAQ, you need a product key. I upgrades from the prompt on my laptop, and since Win 10 installed an upgrade and my laptop won't boot up past the initial Win logo, I have no way to find a product key. My laptop came with Windows 7. Should
    I just reinstall that and start over?

LynnetteSpratley, May 29, 2017
  4. jhumur Win User

P.P.S What if I deleted the System Reserved and OS partitions, formated the unassigned space, stuck it back into the laptop and attempted another clean install?

jhumur, May 29, 2017
  5. jhumur Win User
    UPDATE: I did that. Deleted all the partitions, created two new ones, put the drive back into the laptop and did a clean install. Everything is good good good. Thank you!

jhumur, May 29, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You might want to look at the partitions now in disk management. You should have deleted the two partitions, and just installed Windows to the unallocated space rather than manually creating partitions.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop won't boot after installing Win 10 - Similar Threads - Laptop won't boot

2. Win 10 won't boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 won't boot up: Hi there Can someone possibly help Win 10 won't start up Really need help Any help is very much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-wont-boot-up/fef3e56e-cdc6-4625-b23f-8a39690419c5
  3. After upgrading to win 11, Surface laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After upgrading to win 11, Surface laptop won't boot: After upgrading to win 11, Surface laptop won't boot. It only got to the black screen with the window logo and then shut down.I tried to reboot it 3 times to get into the repair mode but it won't get thereTried to download the win 11 iso file but it won't let me copy to an...
  4. After upgrading to win 11, Surface laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After upgrading to win 11, Surface laptop won't boot: After upgrading to win 11, Surface laptop won't boot. It only got to the black screen with the window logo and then shut down.I tried to reboot it 3 times to get into the repair mode but it won't get thereTried to download the win 11 iso file but it won't let me copy to an...
  5. Windows 10 won't boot after install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after install: Bought a MSI u180 netbook second hand with windows 7 just to run some car diagnostics. The graphics drivers weren't set up so thought I'd upgrade to Windows 10. Went through the windows assistant and it was happy so installed it. Started up and all looked ok but didn't...
  6. win 10 won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 won't boot: i tried sfc and wont work dism wont work bootrec same i tried the new thing called cloud download or local one both wont work windows was so slow i had to restart the windows and i was at start up / boot loop for more then 1 day...
  7. win 10 won't boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 won't boot: win 10 won't boot. Message: "No bootable device Strike F1 to retry, F2 to enter setup, F5 to enter PSA: MS tech helped me yesterday when win wouldn't start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-wont-boot/f26ad556-1631-4979-b7a8-3df8102f8989
  8. Win 10 won't boot after disk check

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 won't boot after disk check: Hello, today as usual I wanted to check and clean the c: ssd drive on which win 10 is installed. It started, and almost immediately found errors and wanted me to restart the PC. I pressed okay, it started loading and Bam, blue screen error. No worries after PC restart it...
  9. Windows 10 clean install on laptop won't boot after installing

Windows 10 clean install on laptop won't boot after installing: Reinstalling Windows on a family member's computer, installed it enough times over the years, so didn't expect to get a problem. I've formatted the hard drive, deleted all partitions, after installing windows doesn't boot after restarting for the first time. It just gets...
  10. Win 10 won't boot up after install updates ?

Win 10 won't boot up after install updates ?: Hello & Thanks : Win 10 won't boot up after install updates . Well , not without entering F2/F12 setup . At set up I have to change boot device to dvd . Then change it again to boot device to hdd . Also , I get these updateHistory msgs: * "Failed to install"...