Windows 10: Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on

Discus and support Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So pretty much my title. This used to be a really common issue, then it stopped doing it on it's own. Last night it started back up. Now, I know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Chevko, May 2, 2017.

1. Chevko Win User

Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on

So pretty much my title.

This used to be a really common issue, then it stopped doing it on it's own. Last night it started back up.

Now, I know with such machinery, nothing really happens "on it's own", but... I've made no changes to any settings, downloaded no software that could have made any changes, etc. It just started back up again and it's really ****ing annoying.

SO, in a nutshell.

Click the power button > screen shuts off, light goes out > Sleep/Hibernate mode > A beat later it turns back on and wants to log in.

I just checked my power settings, tweaked a thing or two about sleep and hibernate mode to make sure it's properly on and everything's set with next to no changes. I know this laptop's been treated like shit and it's been having heating/cooling issues even with a Thermaltake cooling fan from '14 (it's been slowing down a bit) and the resting temp is between 55-60ºC.

I don't know what's going on with this, nor really what data to share. Ask and I'll supply.

:)

Chevko, May 2, 2017

2. grey screen after sleep

For me there is no way to roll back driver, and not even sure it is display driver.

I found a temporary solution.

Set computer to "NEVER" sleep

Set turn off monitor after 10 min

Then in advanced power settings,

Set sleep to "Never"

Then changed Hibernate settings to

on Battery 30 minutes

on plug 45

you can set what you like.

Changed power button to Hibernate

Changed to "show hibernate in power settings"

This basically stops sleep mode which is causing the problem, Hibernate takes a little longer to wake from. Did this so if I walk away from my Dell 2 in on laptop with intel 520

the battery won't be dead.

Sorry not more details, but have to get going

Good luck, suggest a MacBook to really solve the problems

stanleybottitta, May 2, 2017
  3. gmopro Win User
    Hibernate vs Sleep

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

or this.

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing
    a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk,
    and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge
    the battery during that time.

But if hybernation turns off computer, what is the difference between hibernation and shut down? Hibernate doesnt have the boot up period?

UPDATE:

Ok so nevermind,.. Hibernate can get u back to computer's current state with applications u have open...shutdown wont do that. Resuming after hibernation restores the state of
    the computer, including all the

applications that were open. I assume the resume is much longer for hibernate vs sleep. yay.. it makes sense now.

gmopro, May 2, 2017
  4. Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on

Hi Chevko.

While you may not have changed things Windows is always helping us. Could you please check your Update History and see if anything was installed in the last two days. Start=>Settings+>Update & security => Update History

Next, to identify what is waking your device up, the next time it wakes up, to a command prompt(admin) type

powercfg -lastwake

This will tell you who ordered the wake up call.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 2, 2017
  5. Chevko Win User
    Well. It seemed to go to sleep just fine when we went to go get IHOP. Testing the button has it working just fine now. Of course, it wants to do this when I go to ask for help. Ugh.

I'll have to put this thread on hold for when it decides to do again, I'm sorry. Maybe it'll do it again sometime today.

The only update from two days ago was KB3150513, however.

Chevko, May 2, 2017
  6. No problem. Happy it's working.

Caledon Ken, May 2, 2017
  7. Chevko Win User
    ALRIGHT so it's doing it again!

I did the thing and it's just saying a USB device is doing it. I moved my keyboard off the bottom of my laptop, where it's usually propped up but not touching anything and I flipped my mouse over. Did it twice to test and a total of three times on the cmd command. Same results each time.

Chevko, May 17, 2017
  8. Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on

In device manager, under properties of device, say mouse, there should be a power management tab. There you can disable a device's ability to wake machine up. Might be worth testing to identify which device is actually causing.

Sounds like you are not using touchpad on laptop. On a number of devices you can shut it off when mouse is connected.

This is either in "Settings" under mouse or "Additional Settings" which brings up the older mouse settings.

I see you are running a Toshiba. For some reason a number of Toshiba devices are mis-reporting their touchpad. One I worked on thought it was a Lenovo touchpad. What is your touchpad listed in Device manager?

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 17, 2017
  9. Chevko Win User
    I will definitely take a look at the connected mouse's USB settings when I get a chance, I'm currently I'm at a friend's rebuilding my resume since I'm running short on time for my lease x')

The touchpad I typically ignore since on rare occasion I do use it, but I should probably turn it off when I'm not - just need to build that habit.

The touchpad is listed as a Synaptics SMBus TouchPad. Doesn't say much else in the specifics about it.

Chevko, May 17, 2017
  10. Okay. The idea of turning off touchpad is totally automated, if you use. If the option is available, as soon as it sees a mouse it shuts off. Disconnect mouse and touchpad enables.

Hopefully you will be able to identify culprit USB device.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on

1. Laptop won't go to sleep/hibernate; turns back on - Similar Threads - Laptop won't sleep

2. My laptop goes to sleep/hibernation mode when I turn it on back from sleep after an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop goes to sleep/hibernation mode when I turn it on back from sleep after an...: My laptop runs Windows 11 now, but it had the same issue back when it had Windows 10.When I close my laptop's lid, it goes into sleep mode as expected. If I open the lid after a short while, it resumes normally.However, if I close the lid and open it again after some period...
  3. My laptop goes to sleep/hibernation mode when I turn it on back from sleep after an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop goes to sleep/hibernation mode when I turn it on back from sleep after an...: My laptop runs Windows 11 now, but it had the same issue back when it had Windows 10.When I close my laptop's lid, it goes into sleep mode as expected. If I open the lid after a short while, it resumes normally.However, if I close the lid and open it again after some period...
  4. Screen won't turn on after going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen won't turn on after going to sleep: I am going through the Spinning up with OpenAI. As part of the initialization process, I enabled Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL. I also downloaded GeForce Experience and updated all my drivers. Things seemed to be working well, but now whenever my screen turns off, or goes...
  5. Screen won't turn on after going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen won't turn on after going to sleep: I am going through the Spinning up with OpenAI. As part of the initialization process, I enabled Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL. I also downloaded GeForce Experience and updated all my drivers. Things seemed to be working well, but now whenever my screen turns off, or goes...
  6. dell laptop doesn't go to sleep, screen keeps turning back on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dell laptop doesn't go to sleep, screen keeps turning back on: This issue has been frustrating me for a while now, and I'm getting really irritated because I'm sure you guys up there at Microsoft are aware of this issue but I still haven't seen any fix for it. There are many discussions here from people who have Dell laptops with the...
  7. Laptop won't go to sleep

Laptop won't go to sleep: Whenever I close the lid or manually tell my laptop to go to sleep the screen turns off but the computer is still running. The only way to turn it off is to hard press the power button and force it to shut down. If I start my pc in safe mode the same problem appears. Here...
  8. PC won't turn off or go to sleep

PC won't turn off or go to sleep: So couple days ago I got this problem where my PC won't turn off or go to sleep, when I click it just says "Shuting Down" and suddenly "Welcome". I tried Disk Checkup and all but I couldn't fix this issue. And I have the newest update installed....
  9. pc won't go to sleep, and won't turn screen back on after time out

pc won't go to sleep, and won't turn screen back on after time out: after re installing windows 10 I noticed that the laptop gets stuck whenever I try to make it sleep : the screen turns off but the power button doesn't indicate that it's asleep like it used to ,and you can't wake it up also if I leave the laptop till the screen time out the...
  10. Won't Hibernation after Sleep

Won't Hibernation after Sleep: My laptop will wake up in 30minutes after sleep, which is supposed to go into hibernation, instead, it just stay awake. My power setting is: sleep after - 15min hybrid sleep - off hibernation after - 30min wakeup timer - off Also, when I see event, there is this:...