Windows 10: Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

Discus and support Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Acer Aspire ES-15 Windows 10 laptop won't let me make my external monitor the main display. I can find the option, but the tickbox is greyed out.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ainsley, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ainsley Win User

Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

My Acer Aspire ES-15 Windows 10 laptop won't let me make my external monitor the main display. I can find the option, but the tickbox is greyed out.

:)

ainsley, Nov 25, 2017
  2. sharath V Win User

Icons not moving when Switching from laptop display to external main display (Win 10)

Windows 10

I have Dell 5520 Laptop with 4k display on it. I have a 1080p HP monitor that i extend the display to. I connect to external display through Dell dock.

I am running both of them at their full resolutions. Main monitor is HP display

The problem happens when i connect the dock cable. The icons from my laptop display do not move to my main display, external monitor. I have used the same setup on windows 7 with no issues.

Let me know how can the icons move from laptop display to external monitor(main display) automatically.

sharath V, Nov 25, 2017
  3. Desktop icons snap to 2nd display after update to Intel VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) 10.18.15.4279 dated ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016

I followed your steps above, however since my laptop screen was already set to
    Make this my main display , and was already Monitor 1, the selection box was already selected and also because of this it was greyed out. So I made my external monitor the main display and clicked Apply, then I repeated this step to make my
    laptop monitor the main display again. The icons remain on the Monitor 2 external display.

Never mind, I'm rolling back the Intel driver.

PatriciaFierro Scagliotti, Nov 25, 2017
Thema:

Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

1. Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display - Similar Threads - Laptop won't let

2. Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display: I know it's been fixed in Windows 11, but 11 has other problems and I don't like the look of it. The only solution is to reboot the laptop while the monitor is connected, which is annoying. Does this problem occur in Windows 7 ? I tried setting the preferred gpu in nvidia...
  3. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  4. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  5. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... Some specs: Dell Precision 7520 Laptop Windows 10 Pro Intel Core i7-7820HQ (4 Core), 2.9 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Turbo) 32 GB (2x 16 GB), DDR 4, 2400 MHz Ram...
  6. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Support
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... The problem: I recently bought an external monitor (ACER KG271G Full HD 27" IPS LED Monitor). When connected to my laptop, the only display resolution...
  7. How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor

How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor: Hi I have windows 10 OS. I am using Accer E5-573G,which have i3-5005U processor and Nvidia 920M GPU. Thing is that I am using external monitor as my main display and laptop as extended.I don't have UPS While working when power outrage happen my external monitor goes off...
  8. Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display: I have a Dell monitor and a HDTV (720) connected to my Windows 10 computer. Dell is horizontal - DVI HDTV is vertical - HDMI When I turn on the computer and monitor is ON, Windows sees it as Display 1. Unfortunately when I turn on the TV, Windows assigns #1 to TV!!!! Rather...
  9. Can't make external monitor main display

Can't make external monitor main display: I have an Acer Aspire ES-15 Win 10 laptop and an external Hanns-G monitor which i would like to make the main display. I go to SETTINGS > DISPLAY and there is a tickbox that says "MAKE THIS MY MAIN DISPLAY" This is the option i want, however the tickbox is greyed out and i...
  10. Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor: Hi, I'm trying to just run my laptop as a desktop, as the screen hinges are faulty. Its a Lenovo Y410P. I know how to switch the display to the external monitor in the control panel settings. But I want to make it so that I can put the laptop to sleep or restart the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wont let me make main display

2. i have a acer laptop and i put a monitor on it put it wont let me extend

3. wont let me change main display

4. laptop wont save external monitor as main display