Windows 10: Laptop won't start after update

Discus and support Laptop won't start after update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My HP Spectre 13 laptop won't complete a startup. It has the update of Windows 10 pro (from 8.1), a solid state drive (SSD), and classic shell. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stanhilliard, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Laptop won't start after update

My HP Spectre 13 laptop won't complete a startup. It has the update of Windows 10 pro (from 8.1), a solid state drive (SSD), and classic shell. The computer started earlier today and I got a message that I could restart it to effect updates -- so I did. That restart seemed OK. Next I got a notice to upgrade my Kaspersky Internet Security (to KIS2016, I think) so I said OK. Then I got a message that I could restart to make the Kaspersky the effect. I did, and that is when I got messages in the following sequence.

(At some point a message flashed, too briefly to read, about a thread missing or something.)

1) "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you."

2) "Your PC did not start correctly" [restart] [advanced options]

3) at [advanced options] offered this menu:
    --(1) Continue - exit and continue to windows 10
    --(2) Use a device -- Use a USB drive, network connection, or windows recovery DVD.
    --(3) Troubleshoot -- reset your PC or see advanced options.
    --(4) Turn off your PC

4) [Troubleshoot] offers:
    --(1) Reset this PC - Lets you choose to keep or remove files, and then re-installs windows.
    --(2) Advanced Options

5) [Advanced options] offers:
    --(1) System restore -- use a restore point
    --(2) System image recovery
    --(3) Startup repair - fix problems that keep windows from loading.
    --(4) Command prompt
    --(5) Startup settings - change windows startup behavior.
    --(6) See more recovery options - go back to the previous build.

So far I have only accessed the command prompt and listed folders with DIR. I am thinking of trying to use a system restore point, but I am worried about creating even more problems.

I suspect the problem is due to Win 10 or to drivers or to Kaspersky or an interaction between them. I will post this to Windows 10 forum, to HP Support, and to Kaspersky Support.

:)

stanhilliard, Jan 5, 2016

2. Start and Settings do not open

I updated my laptop recently. And after the update, start and settings won't open.

Davinderpal Dhaliwal, Jan 5, 2016
  3. Latest update

After latest update of windows my laptop won't start. Any ideas ?

VeckaStoilova, Jan 5, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Laptop won't start after update

Try a system restore and instead of upgrading through the notice, upgrade from within Kaspersky self. That seems to work for others.

A system restore normally doesn't cause extra problems.

axe0, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Here is an update of my previous information:

(1) The exact message on the BSOD screen is: "system_thread_exception_not_handled"

(2) I ran SFC /SCANNOW from the command prompt. SFC displayed Windows Version as 10.0.10240. It ran to 100% and then displayed the message "Windows Protection could not perform the requested operation."

(3) I picked System Restore and it used the 1-3-16 restore point.
    "Deleted Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614."
    "Drivers and windows update information is not available."
    "System Restore did not complete successfully."
    "An expected error occurred during System Restore 0x8000ffff."

(4) Then I got the login screen and was able to log in to the desktop.
    More Messages:
    "System Restore completed successfully. The system has been restored to 1/4/2016 12:20 AM." -- I note that the restore point was one day earlier than previously. It must have restored twice.

(5) Then more messages:
    "Updates completed successfully."
    "Update virus protection."
    "Restart required for updates."

(6) I restarted the computer and logged back in.

(7) Here is more information on my computer:
    HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
    Serial number 5CD5053WH8
    Product number LOQ51UA@ABA

stanhilliard, Jan 8, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Seems you are back in your system *Smile

axe0, Jan 8, 2016
  7. Yes, And I installed Kaspersky v16, this time from the Kaspersky site. A message said the install could not complete, but after 1/2 hour it was installed. All seems to be OK now. Thanks. *Biggrin

stanhilliard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop won't start after update

1. Laptop won't start after update - Similar Threads - Laptop won't start

2. Lenovo laptop won't start after resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo laptop won't start after resetting: Hi guys, so I reseted my laptop last night. Everything was coming along right until it got to a part where it needed to reinstall windows. It downloaded up until 64% and stopped. After a while the screen went blank, turned on again, displayed the Lenovo logo and the WELCOME...
  3. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't start after an update: Hello,After the latest update, my computer became unusable.This screen image below suddenly appears, sorry for the French language that I cannot change, but basically I can choose between:"Reboot tool" --> fails to solve anything "Terminal" --> does not help much"Uninstall...
  4. Windows won't start after an update

Windows won't start after an update: Hello,After the latest update, my computer became unusable.This screen image below suddenly appears, sorry for the French language that I cannot change, but basically I can choose between:"Reboot tool" --> fails to solve anything "Terminal" --> does not help much"Uninstall...
  5. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. After update now my laptop PC won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After update now my laptop PC won't start: Hello I turned on hp laptop thus morning and it said it's doing a troubleshooting and fix. Then it says can't fix. And then 6 different things I can try to fix windows 11 home but nothing helps. So the only thing I can try is do a system reset. So click on thar then it ask...
  7. After update now my laptop PC won't start

After update now my laptop PC won't start: Hello I turned on hp laptop thus morning and it said it's doing a troubleshooting and fix. Then it says can't fix. And then 6 different things I can try to fix windows 11 home but nothing helps. So the only thing I can try is do a system reset. So click on thar then it ask...
  8. PC won't start after update

PC won't start after update: Hi My PC did an automatic update yesterday and now I can't get it to start. I keep getting the message "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" Log file C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\SrtSrtTrail.txt I have tried a few of the advanced options - Startup repair, Uninstall...
  9. Acer laptop won't start after updating

Acer laptop won't start after updating: My laptop has needed to update for a few days so i selected update and restart in the start menu, and the update seemed to go like normal, until it restarted and was stuck on a black screen with a loading circle of dots. I thought the update was still going and taking ages so...
  10. Laptop is not starting after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop is not starting after updates: Respected Sir, Yesterday, i update my window10 with latest update. After that i shut down my laptop (Lenovo G500). today in morning, as i started my laptop, it is not starting. please tell me the solution to start it....