Windows 10: Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space

Discus and support Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Could someone help explain why there is an over 5G difference in the used disk space on my "C" partition? The windows properties tab shows 33.3GB used,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sleepless, May 8, 2017.

1. sleepless Win User

Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space

Could someone help explain why there is an over 5G difference in the used disk space on my "C" partition? The windows properties tab shows 33.3GB used, but I can't find where it's all being used. If I add up the space used for each folder, it only adds up to 28GB. This is also shown using WinDirStat:

Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space [​IMG]

:)

sleepless, May 8, 2017

2. Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

Problem now solved.

Running my drive analysis program as Administrator (I wasn't doing that before) revealed a huge folder (315GB) entitled System Volume Information.

I then found that System Restore on my C drive was set to 100%! How that happened God only knows but I have now reduced it to a more sensible 15% and succeeded in clearing out many GBs of unnecessary restore info. I found how to do this clear out on another
    help forum:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1813658/reduce-size-system-volume-information-folder.html
    My C drive is now back to 'normal'. Thanks to all for helping solve this problem.

PeterBrigg, May 8, 2017
  3. Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

Thanks, Lawrence. I have now 'unhidden' all the folders on C: but nothing of any significant size was revealed. Yes, I can see the $Windows~BT folder. What is the significance of this?

Peter Brigg, May 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Quite likely. Restore points are held in the hidden 'System Volume Information' folder. You (and WinDirStat) don't have access to this so can't see what's in it.

See Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings. On the System Protection tab, click Configure... to see how much is used by restore points.

Bree, May 8, 2017
  5. ChuckHL Win User
    I would guess any folder where the user does not have any access at all but system does, will make for that difference.

ChuckHL, May 8, 2017
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Yes

The value shown for total disk space used in the disk properties is maintained by the file system and is completely accurate.

But for a variety of reasons, some quite complex, the file system does not keep track of the disk space used by individual folders. To show this in the folder properties requires a complex and potentially lengthy process. It requires examining the contents of each subfolder and each one it contains to check the file sizes. This could easily mean examining several hundred thousand file entries. There are all kinds of complications in doing this and the result is at best only an approximation.

One big problem is with folders like "System Volume Information" which contains the restore points. Typical space consumed would be at least several GB. By default even an elevated administrator account (or even the built in Administrator account) has no access to it. The fact that Windows Explorer is a part of Windows doesn't give it any special privileges. If your account has no access, it won't either. This is necessary to maintain security. That means the attempt to examine it's contents stops right at the beginning and the size of the folder is seen as zero, and reported as such.

WinDirStat has the same limitations as Windows Explorer.

LMiller7, May 8, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Space Sniffer will tell you what is taking up the space. Most likely System Volume Information. As reported, you can limit the amount of space used for System Restore.

spunk, May 8, 2017
  8. ChuckHL Win User

I would even dare to add (correct me if I am wrong) that if the computer has other users (C:\Users) any folder where the current account has not claimed access to, will show as size of 0 when its not empty.

ChuckHL, May 12, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 12, 2017
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    Yes.

If you are using a non elevated account (the default condition) it will not have access to the profiles of other user accounts and Windows Explorer will be unable to account for these files. In some systems this will account for a great deal of disk space. You really need to use an elevated account to get meaningful disk usage numbers for other than your own folders.

There are utilities (such as Space Sniffer mentioned above) that use special techniques to enable access to folders like "System Volume Information". But do not expect exact results. Modern file systems are far too complex for that to be possible. And Space Sniffer needs to be used with an elevated account to obtain reliable results.

LMiller7, May 12, 2017
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    DISM ++ has a neat feature among many in its Toolkit - a File Explorer window that can open folders that normally are denied, even to administrators, without UAC etc. On the left, a normal File explorer window attempting to open C:\System Volume Information - with the usual "Access denied" dialog. On the right DISM++ File Explorer opens immediately the folder C:\System Volume Information - without any fuss or wait:

Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space [​IMG]

DISM++ is a Chinese program, with much of its documentation in Chinese. It does not use Microsoft Windows DISM itself, but uses the CBS (Component Based Servicing) Reference API to reproduce the features of DISM in a graphical environment, making it a rather powerful set of tools.

I'd put in a disclaimer - don't use it if you are not sure what you might be doing.

Fafhrd, May 12, 2017
  12. SoFine409 Win User
    if you have an image of the subject drive, say with Macrium, you can mount the image and explore the contents of the System Volume Information folder. You might also be able to see it with MiniTool Partition Manager Free by selection the drive and using Explore.

SoFine409, May 12, 2017
  13. WOT
    WOT Win User

Thema:

1. Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space - Similar Threads - Large discrepancy drive

2. Large window disks space.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Large window disks space.: Does anyone know why is my windows folder takes up 44 GB? Even winSXS folder takes up 8.6 GB? I've already tried disk clean up, defragment, window update troubleshoot but nothing much change....
  3. Major discrepancy in disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major discrepancy in disk space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/IG_CrimsonTwilight [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m75oe4/major_discrepancy_in_disk_space/
  4. Losing Disk Space on Drive C:/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing Disk Space on Drive C:/: Hello, I am losing hard drive space on my drive C:/. Yesterday, the drive was at 90.9 GB used. When I woke it up from sleep it was at 91.4 GB used and now it is at 91.7 GB used. This is only on the small SSD and the larger 4TB HDD does not have this problem. The PC is a new...
  5. Low disk space on c drive

Low disk space on c drive: I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron 3670 using Microsoft Windows 10 Home x 64 based. I have just started to receive low disk space notifications. I can't get windows updates. I've deleted files and non-used apps, run disk clean up, run antivirus, run optimization tools...
  6. Weird Discrepancies in Backup Disk Space?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Weird Discrepancies in Backup Disk Space?: So basically on my C: Drive Windows is taking up about 60GB of space. The disk image I created on my internal HDD is 90GB and the one I just created on my new external HDD is 40GB. Anyone got any idea what that's all about? 170399
  7. Low disk space on C drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low disk space on C drive: Good afternoon. I have a windows 10 notebook/laptop that has issues with hard drive showing full. After examining the folders the majority of the storage is being used by c:\progam files\windowsapps @ 37.G and then the C:\windows @ 19.4 GB total hard drive is 57GB...
  8. Limited disk space on C:\ drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Limited disk space on C:\ drive: I bought this Dell desktop from one of the local Microcenter stores, which was a returned item. It came with the C:\ drive supposedly being a flash drive with measly 95 gb of diskspace. I didn't realise it then, but it is making my computer starving for diskspace on C:\...
  9. Extending disk space in drive c

Extending disk space in drive c: I want to extend my disk space in c but in the disk management I have a healthy oem partition in between which I can't delete or is it ok to delete this partition? So how to increase the disk space in c? here is the screenshot of the allocated disk space: [ATTACH]...
  10. Large Temperature Discrepancy Between HD DIsk Sentinel/ Crystal Disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Large Temperature Discrepancy Between HD DIsk Sentinel/ Crystal Disk?: Unless I am mistaken both apps are reading the temps of the internal storage device and if so then why the large discrepancy? TIA. [img] [img] 125437

Users found this page by searching for:

1. c drive space discrepancies