Windows 10: Large file copying speed. Why does it slow down?

Discus and support Large file copying speed. Why does it slow down? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I copy a file about 2TB in size from 1 disk to another the speed starts of fast say 185MBps and then drops to about 80MBps. This happens both on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by machare, Sep 27, 2017.

1. machare Win User

Large file copying speed. Why does it slow down?

When I copy a file about 2TB in size from 1 disk to another the speed starts of fast say 185MBps and then drops to about 80MBps. This happens both on my desktop. On my laptop copying between two partitions slows down to a similar speed. Why does this happen?

:)

machare, Sep 27, 2017
  2. sherkhansherkhan, Sep 27, 2017
  3. porten Win User
    N8 internal Mass Memory, inconsistent read/write speed

Hi - yes, I've got plenty of free space on my PC. The same operation targeting my SD Card has no performance issues at all, so the problem isn't at the PC-end. It's only an issue when moving/copying large amounts of data to the internal "Mass Memory" drive,
    regardless of source (SD card or PC).

The files being moved were all fairly large, but not like a single 10GB chunk. 1000+ MP3 files typically 5-15 MB of size, and about 50 video clips at around 50 MB each. So RAM on the phone should not be an issue unless one or more of the files completely
    depletes available RAM, and even then it shouldn't drop below the Mass Storage write-speed, which I'm assuming is Class 2 or Class 4. (SD card is class 4 btw). I was seeing "Class 0.1" :-/

In any case, RAM depletion / slow write speeds does not explain why phone-access to Mass Memory was horribly slow (listing files) after the copy was done and phone disconnected. The browse slow-down persisted until I rebooted the phone.

porten, Sep 27, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

There is a copy buffer - stuff gets read into memory from the source storage, then written to the target storage, which is checked against the buffer in memory for errors, then the next block of data is read, so at first about 2x the final rate is being transferred, but when the buffer is reading new stuff and checking the last block that has been transferred simultaneously, it has only ~half of the initial rate.

The data copy rate indicator shows the amount of data stored and checked against time - at the end of the operation, it seems to do nothing for a while as data already written to the target is checked against a buffer before the process shuts down.

The reading and writing from memory is the fast part of the operation, but the storage read and write operations are the slowest parts of the operation.

Fafhrd, Sep 27, 2017
  5. mike s Win User
    Wild guess: the initial, faster speed, reflects system buffering of the write operation.
    Once the buffer fills up, the hardware transfer rate is reflected for the rest of the file.

mike s, Sep 27, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - it is copying to RAM buffer at that speed but can only write to disk at its maximum speed. Once buffer is full, it can only copy as fast as it can write i.e. buffer empties at rate of writing to drive.

That initial burst is an illusion really.

cereberus, Sep 28, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Using robocopy built in to windows is the fastest method Anti virus can slow it to a crawl as it will scan on read and write

Samuria, Sep 28, 2017
  8. Flashorn Win User

Flashorn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Large file copying speed. Why does it slow down? - Similar Threads - Large file copying

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  5. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  6. ULTRA slow copy and download speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ULTRA slow copy and download speed: Since about two weeks ago my Windows 10 desktop PC has had ultra, ultra slow download and copy speed. I average about 100KB/s and it's even been as slow as 100 bytes/s once. Oddly I can still stream videos, play games and load webpages absolutely fine. I've looked online at...
  7. Copying large MP4 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying large MP4 files: I have a flash drive created by a company that transfers old 8mm movies and old VHS tapes to digital format. The files are formatted in MP4 and the total volume the 30 separate files on this drive is approximately 105Gb. Most of the files are less than 4Gb but some are...
  8. File share copy speed slow

File share copy speed slow: Hi. I have a Windows Server hosting some shares. The server has an 10GBPS network card and hosts connected through a 1GBPS ports. When copying files down from server the copy speeds dont pass 10 mbytes per second. When copying files up to server the copy speeds passes 100...
  9. Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10: [ATTACH] We copy and move a lot of files around on our computer. And most of the copying takes place to and from external devices. If due to some issues, you face slow copy or move speed, then this post may [...] This post Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10 is from...
  10. internet speed slows down

internet speed slows down: I have an old Dell XPS system running Windows 10pro Using a Broadcom gigabit ethernet card. I am hard wired directly to the WOW modem and do get speeds of up to 550mbps. But after a while, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, it starts to slow down to under 100. Every time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file copying issues very slow drop speed

2. why does file copying slowdown at end of copy

3. file fopy large file slow

4. large file copy slows down,
  5. windows large file copy slowdown,
  6. windows 2012 r2 starts copying large file fast and then slows