Windows 10: Large files on external drive cause system to hang

Discus and support Large files on external drive cause system to hang in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I have an HP Spectre laptop. I work in television and have to transfer very large files (70-100gb each). When a drive containing those files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by chorchie, Aug 23, 2016.

1. chorchie Win User

Large files on external drive cause system to hang

Hi all,
    I have an HP Spectre laptop. I work in television and have to transfer very large files (70-100gb each). When a drive containing those files are connected, the system will hang - sometimes for a short time, sometimes it requires a hard boot. Not sure what is causing this, but it makes my system completely unusable and makes Win10 useless at my work.

I have tried checking the ALWAYS SHOW ICONS, NEVER THUMBNAILS box in folder options and it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

The first time I had the problem, I was dealing with DNxHD video files. Now I am working with ProRes 422 files and it seems to be even worse.

I know it is not the external device, because it happens on all external drives.

I use ex-FAT formatted flash drives, Mac formatted hard drives (and use Mac Drive to access them) and both have the same issue.

Any thoughts or fixes?

Thank you!
    -David

:)

chorchie, Aug 23, 2016

2. c drive filling up

Large files cause drive space to used up quickly.

What size is your hard drive? Go to Computer, it will say C: drive is xx free of xx

A solution is to move out files that you dont use to an external drive, add another drive to your computer if its a desktop, or keep an external files to add files there instead of the C: drive.

tamara_sadel, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Device manager, command promp (Admin), etc wont respond. Cant login as admin...How do I fix this?

An external drive. Each image is very large [almost as large as the space that is used up on drive C:\]. I have a vague memory that it actually has to be an external drive rather than a USB stick even if it is big enough. External drives are much, much
    cheaper than large USB sticks anyway.

I use a 500GB external drive. It also has my file backups, copies of all installation files, ...

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Culbrelai Win User

Culbrelai, Aug 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Large files on external drive cause system to hang - Similar Threads - Large files external

2. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  3. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  4. System files abnormally large

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System files abnormally large: [ATTACH] I was recently checking storage to see that my system files has over 600 gbs, I am very unsure how to clear, I ran a defragment and optimize drives and it still didn't change. Moreover, I also ran a sfc /scannow and it still didnt change anything, any help will be...
  5. System file too large

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System file too large: I select every folder in my C disk and the property shows that they are only a little bit more than 100G. When I check the storage in the setting, it shows that the system file is 244GB. Is there anyway to delete it? PS: I already checked CBS folder and that does not...
  6. fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up: what causes fantom external drive to hang up bootup of windows 10 ifr power external drive off, then windows 10 boots up with it off ?/ **Moved from: Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / General**...
  7. fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up

in Windows 10 Customization
    fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up: what causes fantom external drive to hang up bootup of windows 10 ifr power external drive off, then windows 10 boots up with it off ?/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fantom-external-drive-causes-window-10-hang-up/5c7d5980-616a-4cea-82c2-5b108a06acac
  8. File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 News
    File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system: [ATTACH] This post will help you if you cannot copy large files over 4GB to USB flash drive or SD card, and you receive a message – File Too Large, The file is too large for the destination file system message [...] This post File Too Large – The file is too large for the...
  9. Excessively Large System Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessively Large System Files: I have two excessively large system files located in C:\Windows\: {2FD0AD83-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} {2FD0AD87-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} The first is 43.4 GB and the second is 26.6 GB. Together, they constitute 30% of my total disk usage or over 42% if you...
  10. Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives: Hi all, I am having a very annoying issue and hoping someone can help me out here. I am running Windows 10 on an HP Spectre x360 laptop. I have a clean install of Win10 (and actually did a clean re-install when I started noticing this issue in case I was dealing with any...