Windows 10: Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself

Discus and support Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by seymoria, Jun 3, 2018.

1. seymoria Win User

Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself

Hi all.

I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly.

Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of weeks when I started filling it with data and is now 90% full.

But now when I connect it, it automatically ejects itself and then re-connects. This happens with annoying frequency, almost every 5 minutes. Thus the drive is practically unusable.

I am using a brand new HP Envy Laptop with Windows 10. All my other drives work perfectly on it except the 4TB one. Moreover, this 4TB drive has been tested on other laptops and seems to work perfectly on other computers.

What could be the problem?? I am thinking about 4TB incompatibility with my HP laptop. But this seems a far fetched supposition. Thank you for help.

:)

seymoria, Jun 3, 2018

2. External HDD disconnecting, on managing large files.

Hi Wilson,

To know more about your concern, please answer the questions below:

• What is the error message after the format of your HDD?
    • Have you tried to perform a Clean boot?

Robert Caw, Jun 4, 2018
  3. Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

I can help you:

1. Press Windows Key+R

2. Type 'cmd'

3. type 'diskpart'

4. type 'list disk'

5. find your external HDD in the list

6. type 'select disk (what ever the disk number is for the external HDD)

7. type clean

8. open Disk Management

9. right click the external HDD

10. click 'New Partition'

11. Complete the steps

BenjyP9250, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself

1. Large Size External HDD repeatedly reconnects by itself - Similar Threads - Large Size External

2. The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...: I have set the screen to turn off after 30 minutes, without setting it to sleep. But every time the screen turns off, my computer repeatedly makes sound effects indicating disconnection and successful connection. My laptop is connected to the screen using a Type-C to DP...
  3. The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...: I have set the screen to turn off after 30 minutes, without setting it to sleep. But every time the screen turns off, my computer repeatedly makes sound effects indicating disconnection and successful connection. My laptop is connected to the screen using a Type-C to DP...
  4. For SMALL 11inch Tablet sized external display, Windows "identifies" it as LARGE and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For SMALL 11inch Tablet sized external display, Windows "identifies" it as LARGE and...: Setup:Windows 11 tested on Home and Pro, 22H2 and 23H2. All language layoutsTouchDisplay1: ROG Ally native display max 1080p resTouchDisplay2: 11inch RTK UHD HDR Random brand 4K HDR Touch Monitor with pps and hubIssue:For Display1, Split Layout appears all times, i.e 1080p...
  5. For SMALL 11inch Tablet sized external display, Windows "identifies" it as LARGE and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    For SMALL 11inch Tablet sized external display, Windows "identifies" it as LARGE and...: Setup:Windows 11 tested on Home and Pro, 22H2 and 23H2. All language layoutsTouchDisplay1: ROG Ally native display max 1080p resTouchDisplay2: 11inch RTK UHD HDR Random brand 4K HDR Touch Monitor with pps and hubIssue:For Display1, Split Layout appears all times, i.e 1080p...
  6. External Hard Drive disconnects itself and reconnects after entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive disconnects itself and reconnects after entering sleep mode: After I switched hard drives the internal ones and reinstalled Windows 10, one difference I noted is that now every external hard drive I connect, if it enters sleep mode, it automatically disconnects itself and reconnects so fast that I can only hear the drive disconnect...
  7. Cannot move or copy large-size folders from external HHD to external HDD

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot move or copy large-size folders from external HHD to external HDD: [ATTACH]If you cannot move or copy large-size folders from one external HHD to another external HDD, then this post will help resolve the problem. Moving a large size file or a huge folder is not uncommon. Most users always do it, including moving the photo collection,...
  8. Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater: Dear Community, I am having problem connecting my external HDD as Network drive. I managed to connect my pen drive as network drive on the same router but when i replace Pen drive with my External drive I get error message saying as follows, [ATTACH] My Pen drive has...
  9. Filling large size external monitor screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Filling large size external monitor screen: I just reinstalled Windows 10. Now the screen of my external monitor does not fill completely. I tried changing the resolution through settings, but the options I am given do not include a high enough resolution (1920 for a 24 inch screen I think). How do I add this...
  10. Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself: Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly. Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of...