Windows 10: Large Windows update; lost access to my userid...

Discus and support Large Windows update; lost access to my userid... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've been away from my Windows 10 PC for a couple of months. Shortly after turning it back on it started nagging me about a fix that was so big, I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Swifty, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

Large Windows update; lost access to my userid...

I've been away from my Windows 10 PC for a couple of months. Shortly after turning it back on it started nagging me about a fix that was so big, I should schedule a time for the update. I postponed it.
    When I came to my PC this morning, I signed in with my userid (Steve) and password as normal, and the fix started to apply.
    So I waited. Eventually the system re-booted and I could no longer logon as Steve. Then I noted that it was telling me that I should be using my Microsoft Account password. Until today, "Steve" has been a local account. I tried my Microsoft Account password (got it from LastPass on my phone) but was told the password was invalid.
    I went to account.live.com/password/reset and reset my password. Tried to logon as Steve, but now my new password was invalid.
    Changed my Microsoft Account password again, and still I cannot logon as Steve.
    There's a bunch of other weird stuff going on, but let's not confuse matters.
    Any suggestions how I can get to my "Steve" ID? Incidentally, I renamed it to Steve_Old and created another (Local) "Steve" ID, and that's what I'm using now. But Steve_Old has some EFS encrypted files that I'd like to recover.

:)

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017

2. Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied.

Here is the situation:

• A week or so ago, my old laptop crashed with a hard disk problem (boot block I think).
    • I bought a Surface Book 2 and restored my files from backup.
    • The old hard drive can still be connected via USB and is mostly readable.
    • When I try to open the Documents & Settings folder on the old drive – “Location is not available. Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied.”
    • My userID in Windows 10 on the old laptop was “Ken”. When I set up the Surface, Windows chose the first 5 characters of my email address “bilon” as the default userID. I am wondering if that is the reason for the denial of access? How do I get access?
    • All other folders on the drive seem to be accessible.
    Also, I would prefer to have my userID on the Surface Book revert to “Ken” if possible.

KenChapman1, Jul 13, 2017
  3. NickJF Win User
    Windows 10 Homegroup problems

Hi Jesinta,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately during the process of trying to solve the Homegroup issue my Windows Userid became corrupted, and I could no longer access my own data. I reverted back to WIndows 8.1 to try to clear it, but that didn't help, no more
    did re-activating Office 365 - I am now able to access my data but only by overriding the security. I am sure my Userid is still corrupt. I am currently waiting for a response from "AnswerTech"

NickJF, Jul 13, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Is the computer online when you enter your new password?

Bastet, Jul 13, 2017
  5. Swifty Win User
    Yes, my computer is connected to the internet when I try to logon.
    But it turns out that my ISP has had a couple of catastrophic outages over the past two or three days, causing connections to drop and then recover.
    So, it is probably worth having another attempt, especially as I just logged into the Microsoft Community with my Microsoft Account password, so I'm sure that I have the right/current password!
    I don't think I could take the disappointment of it not working now, so I'll probably go to bed and try it in the morning.

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  6. Swifty Win User
    Morning has arrived (in our part of the globe) so, with some trepidation, I tried to logon to my "Steve" userid (renamed to "Steve_Old").

It worked! And I have access to all of my EFS encrypted files!!!

I plan not to rock the boat for a few days, but then I will:

1. Rename the new local account "Steve" that I created to "Steve_New"
    2. Rename account "Steve_Old" back to "Steve"
    3. Reset account "Steve" to a local account

I'm just a bit leery that doing this might remove access to my EFS encrypted files again. I know it shouldn't, as renaming userids and swapping between local and Microsoft Account are both supported/documented processes, in theory safe. But this is a case of "once bitten, twice shy" ☺

Does anyone have recent experience of doing this sort of thing? I plan to backup all my EFS files before proceeding anyway.

Swifty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Large Windows update; lost access to my userid... - Similar Threads - Large update lost

2. Lost access to my parent account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost access to my parent account: I have lost access to my parent account which was apparently made the primary of my two accounts unintentionally. Unfortunately, I now only have access to the non-parent account. It's not been the biggest issue just at times I am told to ask for permission when accessing...
  3. Lost access to my parent account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost access to my parent account: I have lost access to my parent account which was apparently made the primary of my two accounts unintentionally. Unfortunately, I now only have access to the non-parent account. It's not been the biggest issue just at times I am told to ask for permission when accessing...
  4. Site UserID Is Auto Created from Email Account UserID

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Site UserID Is Auto Created from Email Account UserID: I have very recently learned about a company that automatically uses your email account UserID for creating an identical UserID when you register to use that company's services.To my mind that is a security nightmare.May I ask for your opinion about this?Thank you....
  5. UserID

in Windows 10 Customization
    UserID: how do i change my userID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/userid/22ef5c71-abdd-4b4d-903a-2969b5c8b4db
  6. Large Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Large Windows update: Hello! I want to tell you my big trouble for me. I have a small cash register business using Windows 10. This is a small gas station. I decided to restart it because my mouse sometimes starts to cycle. It turned out to me that there was an update and whether to restart to...
  7. lost microsoft email access means lost access to my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    lost microsoft email access means lost access to my laptop: As Windows 10 recommends using a microsoft email account for login, I created a microsoft email account. I can no longer access that account and all attempts to recover access fail. This meant I was locked out of my laptop - very annoying since it is my property - not...
  8. Lost access to my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost access to my PC: I lost access to my computer because it requires me to set up a new PIN since “my PIN is no longer available due to a change in the security settings”. I can’t get in so I am locked out. Help me, please.......
  9. How to activate userid administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to activate userid administrator: On a friends Windows 10 system, the command "net users" shows administrator and frank. "net user administrator" shows Active: no Frank has administrator privilege. The command "net user administrator /active:yes" yields: System error 5 has occurred Access is denied So,...
  10. forgot my userid

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    forgot my userid: I cannot remember my userid in win 10. It was always preloaded in win 7 so didnt think about it. Any ideas? Please, it is awful. 39977