Windows 10: Latest IE11 SCAM beware if you see this

Discus and support Latest IE11 SCAM beware if you see this in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi there Beware if you see this Scam appear when using IE11. (I don't have Mozilla either anywhere on the system). [img] Clean your machine... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jimbo45, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Latest IE11 SCAM beware if you see this

Hi there

Beware if you see this Scam appear when using IE11. (I don't have Mozilla either anywhere on the system).

Latest IE11 SCAM  beware if you see this [​IMG]

Clean your machine Immediately -- DO NOT click any links, Close browser down immediately as well as any applications you are running and either clean your machine with whatever AV software you have or (preferably) restore from a clean image.

Malwarebytes usually pretty OK didn't detect anything amiss.

I always prefer to do a complete restore from a clean backup.

I can state that the ONLY sites I've logged on to this morning have been

1) BBC -- I'm sure that's clean
    2) Windows 10 Forums --I'm also sure that's clean
    3) Google --> who knows what's there these days
    4) Zoopla UK Real estate search with links to Real estate agents / brokers

Could have been 3 or 4.

Ist time in over 20 years of using Windows that I've had this type of nonsense so TAKE CARE everybody.

I'm Thinking of going back to LINUX for Internet browsing. I can't understand why Malwarebytes didn't pick up this piece of malware or "Malvertising".

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 10, 2015
  2. Le Boule Win User

Virus/Hacker attack

Sounds like you may have participated in one of the latest tech support scams.

Beware of US-based Tech Support Scams - Malwarebytes Labs

Fake Tech Support Scams – see video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit (copy/paste the link into your browser).

Some users report that Edge seems to be susceptible to adware issues. Until MS fixes that problems you might want to use a different browser.

Regards…

Le Boule, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 10, 2015
  4. ixian Win User

Hate to break it to you but the days of being able to hide out in another OS like "Linux" (I assume you mean a distro like Ubunto or Mint not just the Linux kernel *Smile ) or OSX are long gone, drive by browser hijackings are cross-platform and cross-browser. Assuming that was the attack vector.

Usually when a browser is involved it's through an ad and either Flash or Java. Your best best is to use an ad blocker, actually. As well as click to run for Flash and uninstall Java (the JRE) if you don't need/user it.

Your choice of OS - security through obscurity - won't help you, these days there are exploits for most of them. FreeBSD is possibly the one exception but good luck using that day to day as a desktop OS.

ixian, Aug 10, 2015
  5. simrick Win User
    Yep, I use Firefox, Flash is set to "ask to activate", Java set that way too, and I have AdBlock Plus and Ghostery add-ons as well. I also use OpenDNS for my DNS servers.

simrick, Aug 10, 2015
  6. I have Adblock Edge, Flash on ask, and I do not have Java installed. Surprisingly enough, I never miss Java or even notice it's missing.

FuturDreamz, Aug 10, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Just a thought but when has IE ever been a secure browser?? From what I've read and my experience .. ah.. never. Why do you think that MS is dropping it in favor of a totally new browser(Edge)??

I use FF and sometimes Chrome and I never have had these issue.
    But, YMMV

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Latest IE11 SCAM beware if you see this - Similar Threads - Latest IE11 SCAM

2. Beware of Microsoft Defender scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Beware of Microsoft Defender scam: I received this message yesterday and just called to question this order since I hadn't ordered anything. The person I spoke with said his name was James Myron and had a very heavy accent and I couldn't understand him and told him he must not understand me either because he...
  3. Beware of Microsoft Defender scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Beware of Microsoft Defender scam: I received this message yesterday and just called to question this order since I hadn't ordered anything. The person I spoke with said his name was James Myron and had a very heavy accent and I couldn't understand him and told him he must not understand me either because he...
  4. Beware of Microsoft Defender scam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Latest telephone ransom scam?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest telephone ransom scam?: I had a call today from a lady purporting to be from the Microsoft Technical Dept. She said my computer had some problems which is true, because I have been trying to fix the boot failure problem for 2 days now. and she can help by referring me to one of her technical...
  6. Beware Of The New Windows 10 Feature Update Scam.

Beware Of The New Windows 10 Feature Update Scam.: Windows 10 Issue Date: 8/28/2019 Windows 10 Issue Time: 8:00PM PDT New Windows 10 Taskbar Update. This Feature Update Had Automatically Installed Onto My Dell 15" Laptop Without My Consent And Had Immediately Restarted My Computer At 8PM. My Dell Laptop Had Noticed The...
  7. Beware latest voice recorder update, it’s broken

Beware latest voice recorder update, it’s broken: Turned pc on this evening and done my usual check for updates in the store app. Several came through one of which was for voice recorder. It’s a bad update as now trying to launching it results in the app crashing. It’s the same across all our home PCs. So it is clearly an MS...
  8. captplay.com (should be .con) SCAM Beware

captplay.com (should be .con) SCAM Beware: Hi there Even old hands can make mistakes -- I was browsing something and accidently clicked something on captplay.com instead of the thing I was buying. A few minutes later I got an email saying I had a 5 day trial after which if not cancelled it would be 45 USD a...
  9. latest cumulative update breaks IE11

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    latest cumulative update breaks IE11: Hi there after applying the latest cumulative updates IE11 is now broken on my system (W10 pro X-64).. Often the Main (home page) of a site works but as soon as you link to other links in the site garbled text often appears. Here's an example from BBC website. Main...
  10. Beware latest news, sports and money app updates

Beware latest news, sports and money app updates: Overnight these all got app updates. Initially on my user acc they worked after this. But each app was broken for the other user accounts on my pc. Same on our second pc. Only way to restore function was uninstall in ccleaner and re install via store. Once again the update...